dcsimg

What's your sharpening regiment?

This topic contains 72 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by  wbembrid 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • Author

ProTom
    Pro
    Bear Lake, MI

I have some diamond stones and I should really use them sometimes….

Yes you should, they are a handy tool.

Always learning, and some teaching along the way.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

You took the words right out of my mouth. I had some cheaper diamond plates before but I just got an 8 inch dmt. The longer strokes allow me to sharpen much faster.

Yeah those DMT plates are great, huh? For a while I thought about making a little tray for them to sit in with holders and everything (you can find some fancy setups online), but in the end I basically just wing it. My workbench surface is MDF for now, so I usually use one of my wife’s old cookie sheets to keep the water off the benchtop. The little stand with rubber feet that comes with the 8 inch DMT works well.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Look forward to following this thread. Sharpening is something I am not good at as I have did alot of it.

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Look forward to following this thread. Sharpening is something I am not good at as I have did alot of it.

I’ve always stunk at it too. Never have the time or had the proper equipment. I did buy a knock-off Tormek wet grinder last summer and have yet to use it. I did get it stored in an L-Boxx 4 along with an accesory kit of attachments for it also in an L-Boxx 2. I just never seem to have the time to actually use it yet. Even watched some YT Tormek tutorials online last week and still no action time for me with it yet.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I’ve always stunk at it too. Never have the time or had the proper equipment. I did buy a knock-off Tormek wet grinder last summer and have yet to use it. I did get it stored in an L-Boxx 4 along with an accesory kit of attachments for it also in an L-Boxx 2. I just never seem to have the time to actually use it yet. Even watched some YT Tormek tutorials online last week and still no action time for me with it yet.

I thought about getting one of those sharpeners. I figure wouldn’t want use it. Mainly because I don’t how. I FIL bought wet grinder from Cdn Tire. When I was there last it was sitting in the box on his shop floor. Not sure if he has used yet.

Greg

CB
    Pro

Sharpening versus shaping… two different endeavors. I could handle the former with a cut off slab of granite backing some wetted 1500 grit paper and a few gentle strokes. But it is the latter… shaping… restoring the original bevel grind to chisels that have been hopelessly hacked on a grinder… that is where the art of the matter comes into play. Subscribing.

There are always two ways to do something.
    You can do it right... Or, you can do it again.
    Why do I always do it the second way? Twice?

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Sharpening versus shaping… two different endeavors. I could handle the former with a cut off slab of granite backing some wetted 1500 grit paper and a few gentle strokes. But it is the latter… shaping… restoring the original bevel grind to chisels that have been hopelessly hacked on a grinder… that is where the art of the matter comes into play. Subscribing.

Good point. Flattening the back and establishing a bevel should be a one time thing. Sharpening/touching up is the never ending task but only takes a few moments to do.

https://www.instagram.com/woodiworkshop/

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

I thought about getting one of those sharpeners. I figure wouldn’t want use it. Mainly because I don’t how. I FIL bought wet grinder from Cdn Tire. When I was there last it was sitting in the box on his shop floor. Not sure if he has used yet.

I finally went and set it up and started doing some of the kitchen knives today. I watched a YT vodeo on how to do knives and gor going. It’s messy. Had to get an old boot tray to catch all the water that drips off it.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUofvqiwenA I like this guy’s setup for water stones.

Life is 10% what happens to you, 90% Attitude.

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUofvqiwenA I like this guy’s setup for water stones.

His setup is really good for waterstones, for sure. A bit over the top, yes, but the setup matches his personality very well. His success with sharpening shows in his work.

I own a grinder and a 1 inch wide belt sharpener for heavy duty re-shaping or making the occasional knife, but I have come to rely on diamond stones for coarse and Japanese Waterstones for fine sharpening with a leather strop with chromium oxide (green compound) for edge polishing.

Will

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I finally went and set it up and started doing some of the kitchen knives today. I watched a YT vodeo on how to do knives and gor going. It’s messy. Had to get an old boot tray to catch all the water that drips off it.

How did you like using the sharpener Kevin?

Greg

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

It’s OK. There’s a few things I’m gonna do different the next time.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

You don’t sound to excited about when you say it ok. LOL!!!

Greg

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

It’s just it was a bit of a struggle setting up and to get rolling. I couldn’t find my owners manual anywhere and winged it somewhat by just looking quickly at some YT videos. That was not the best thing to do.

After I was finished for the day and was watching some more Tormek wet grinder videos I found out I was supposed to pre-condition the leather honing wheel with honing oil the first time it is used and not just apply tons of the creamy type honing compound that comes with the unit. Makes total sense now as the honing compound on its own on a dry leather does not work well at all.

Thing is, honing oil does not come with the unit nor is there any little indicator sticker of sorts that warns to oil the leather honing wheel surface before first use. Hey, that’s what you get saving some bucks buying a Grizzly/Craftex knock-off made in China instead of the real McCoy made in Sweden at triple the price. Not even sure it would say so in the owners manual as I haven’t dug that up yet either still. It’s somewhere….I just don’t know where.

I also was grinding with the grinding wheel going in the wrong direction, although I’m not so sure that is a huge big deal but it makes sense now as to why it was so messy.

I also should have used the grading block to condition the grinding wheel to 1000 grit instead of leaving it at it’s courser as it is normally at 250 grit. I can’t really say that’s necessarily my fault as the grading stone is an accessory that most people don’t bother with and doesn’t come with the grinder.

Just a bunch of little things like that left me less than impressed with my performance more than that of the unit itself. All the stuff I sharpened, about 25 knives and a half dozen utility chisels, were definitely sharper, but now I realize how much better they could have been had I JUST WENT AND LOOKED AROUND FOR THE FRIGGIN OWNERS MANUAL!!!

But overall I am glad I finally got to use it. Everything I sharpened needed it bad. They all pass the silly old paper cutting test now, but I know they could have been maybe closer to the ‘shave your arm hairs’ test had I done things different.

I’m not sure how I’m gonna deal with not having pre-oiled the honing wheel with honing oil before caking it now with the compound. That boo-boo may be my biggest issue I may not be able to resolve without having to buy a new leather for it. Any suggestions on that? It might just flake all off once dry and running it with an edge applied to it as it turns. Not sure.

So basically that’s it in a nutshell why I didn’t sound so enthused earlier. After having done what I thought was right and to find out afterwards that I was doing things wrong and may have screwed up my honing leather, I was a bit pissed at myself.

I could have posted all this in the Hack HOF or the Tool Rant thread frankly. Either one would have been suited for my newbie experience with my grinder and these comments I just wrote. Sometimes I can get pretty critical of myself when I don’t do things right the first time, especially when it turns out it is largely my own fault.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

I’m not sure how I’m gonna deal with not having pre-oiled the honing wheel with honing oil before caking it now with the compound

If it was me I’d use liberal amounts of wd-40 to cut through the compound, then use a mild dish detergent to cut through the oils left behind by wd-40. then give it a good fresh water rinse with de-ionized water to not leave any mineral compounds behind and get the soap out. I’d then let it air dry and oil asap as to not give it time to begin any micro cracking. That’s what I would do at this stage of my career with the things I’ve learned so far, and I do have a fair bit of confidence it would work, but a future me might be far more informed in better ways.

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Just a bunch of little things like that left me less than impressed with my performance more than that of the unit itself. All the stuff I sharpened, about 25 knives and a half dozen utility chisels, were definitely sharper, but now I realize how much better they could have been had I JUST WENT AND LOOKED AROUND FOR THE FRIGGIN OWNERS MANUAL!!!

LOL Been there; done that. I heard a wise man say once; if all else fails, read the instructions.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

It’s just it was a bit of a struggle setting up and to get rolling. I couldn’t find my owners manual anywhere and winged it somewhat by just looking quickly at some YT videos. That was not the best thing to do.

After I was finished for the day and was watching some more Tormek wet grinder videos I found out I was supposed to pre-condition the leather honing wheel with honing oil the first time it is used and not just apply tons of the creamy type honing compound that comes with the unit. Makes total sense now as the honing compound on its own on a dry leather does not work well at all.

Thing is, honing oil does not come with the unit nor is there any little indicator sticker of sorts that warns to oil the leather honing wheel surface before first use. Hey, that’s what you get saving some bucks buying a Grizzly/Craftex knock-off made in China instead of the real McCoy made in Sweden at triple the price. Not even sure it would say so in the owners manual as I haven’t dug that up yet either still. It’s somewhere….I just don’t know where.

I also was grinding with the grinding wheel going in the wrong direction, although I’m not so sure that is a huge big deal but it makes sense now as to why it was so messy.

I also should have used the grading block to condition the grinding wheel to 1000 grit instead of leaving it at it’s courser as it is normally at 250 grit. I can’t really say that’s necessarily my fault as the grading stone is an accessory that most people don’t bother with and doesn’t come with the grinder.

But overall I am glad I finally got to use it. Everything I sharpened needed it bad. They all pass the silly old paper cutting test now, but I know they could have been maybe closer to the ‘shave your arm hairs’ test had I done things different.

I’m not sure how I’m gonna deal with not having pre-oiled the honing wheel with honing oil before caking it now with the compound. That boo-boo may be my biggest issue I may not be able to resolve without having to buy a new leather for it. Any suggestions on that? It might just flake all off once dry and running it with an edge applied to it as it turns. Not sure.

So basically that’s it in a nutshell why I didn’t sound so enthused earlier. After having done what I thought was right and to find out afterwards that I was doing things wrong and may have screwed up my honing leather, I was a bit pissed at myself.

I could have posted all this in the Hack HOF or the Tool Rant thread frankly. Either one would have been suited for my newbie experience with my grinder and these comments I just wrote. Sometimes I can get pretty critical of myself when I don’t do things right the first time, especially when it turns out it is largely my own fault.

Well that’s too bad you couldn’t fine the manual. Did try getting one online at Busy Bee/Grizzly. I got pdf of my Knife sharpener I bought used on there sites.

Greg

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Well that’s too bad you couldn’t find the manual. Did try getting one online at Busy Bee/Grizzly. I got pdf of my Knife sharpener I bought used on there sites.

I couldn’t find it on their product page.

https://www.busybeetools.com/products/10in-wet-grinder-craftex.html

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

Well that’s too bad you couldn’t find the manual. Did try getting one online at Busy Bee/Grizzly. I got pdf of my Knife sharpener I bought used on there sites.

I couldn’t find it on their product page.

https://www.busybeetools.com/products/10in-wet-grinder-craftex.html

So I googled “craftex 10in. wet grinder craftex ct191 user manual pdf” and here you go https://www.manualslib.com/manual/579052/Craftex-Ct171.html?page=2#manual as a bonus here it is on the site you linked http://busybeetools.com/content/product_manuals/CT171.pdf cheers.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 73 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.488 seconds