dcsimg

What’s your favourite brand for ratchets/socket sets?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Looking into buying a decent set of sockets and a nice ratchet just wondering which brands everyone recommends? Impact sockets would be preferred and 1/2 inch drive is a must. I’ve been looking at the wera ratchet but I’m definitely open to opinions. Probably won’t be buying snap on stuff because it’s not really available to me

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

We don’t use ratchets a lot with the impact wrenches, I have a varied selection of ratchets, none that are high end. I do have a couple sets of Bosch deep impacts that I picked up a year or so ago. I really like them and they have a great case to keep them all together.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I have owned Proto tools for many, trouble-free years. I bought them when I worked for Ingersoll-Rand and IR owned Proto. They were made in London, ON and have served me well.

If the quality of the new B & D/ Stanley is comparable, they will be a good choice. Availability is good and the warranty is still first rate. I have had a couple of items replaced recently and it’s a no hassle over-the-counter exchange.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

I have owned Proto tools for many, trouble-free years. I bought them when I worked for Ingersoll-Rand and IR owned Proto. They were made in London, ON and have served me well.

If the quality of the new B & D/ Stanley is comparable, they will be a good choice. Availability is good and the warranty is still first rate. I have had a couple of items replaced recently and it’s a no hassle over-the-counter exchange.

Are the Stanley sockets just rebranded proto?

Check out Gear Wrench. The stuff is quite reasonably priced and I have been happy with their quality.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Are the Stanley sockets just rebranded proto?

I don’t know where the Proto or the Stanley tools are made now. The London plant is no longer in production. Probably all Chinese now.

I relied on Apex, Armstrong, Cornwell and Magna for sockets for industrial applications. They have the best selection for specialized tooling. Pricey but very reliable.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

I don’t think I have a preference. I own Snap on, Craftsman (older ones) and Mastercraft and they all seem to work well. I have also had the old Williamson and Grey brands too. I learned early on to tap them together and if they ring it is usually a sign of good steel. I don’t know if that’s an old wives tale or not.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

rerun_1965
    Pro
    holladay, TN

I have the Black Rhino set and I’m very happy with it

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

All of my tools in my Mechanics boXX are Craftsman, older ones and they work fine for me.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

I have a set of Kobalt from Lowe’s, works fine for what I need. I’m not a mechanic though and don’t use them often.

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

I have a mixture of older Craftsman, Snap-On, S&K, and Husky from HD. Obviously the Husky are not of the same quality of the Snap-On and S&K but they have held up pretty well. Especially for the price. The Snap-on and S&K stay in the toolbox in the shop but I carry a decent sized set of Husky’s in the truck, van, and my tool trailer.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Doobie

While I’ve always wanted to own a small army of Snap-Ons, I just can’t justify it. My kits are all the Canadian Tire house brand MasterCraft, some very old, but have served me well enough. I stopped tinkering with cars decades ago, so I don’t need anything special.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I too have some older Craftsman and most of my other tools are MasterCraft wrenches and sockets. I usually buy them on sale. I do have a few other brands.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

Because I don’t really use them excessively, mostly for electrical and hold-downs, I bought a nice Craftsman set about 20 years ago. They’ve served me well, and when my 3/8 ratchet finally broke, I walked into Sears and they handed me a new one.

I have some GearWrench stuff too, and it’s great. I guess Sears/Craftsman owns GearWrench as well.

Delta

Goin' Down In Flames........

Dustincoc
    Pro
    Madrid, NY

I’ve got a mixture of older Craftsman, Proto, Snap-on, Husky(Not- Home Depot Husky, the original brand), NAPA, and a bunch of other brands as well, almost all made in USA. I avoid parts store cheap sets, Harbor Freight, and other unbranded sockets. I found it they don’t care enough to put their name on the tool itself, The quality isn’t up to par and they split. My only exception to that is JobSmart stuff from Tractor Supply and I only get their impact rated stuff.

I’ve also found, If I’m not in a hurry, I can pick up good old tools at garage sales for a fraction of the cost of new cheap junk.

Shop Blog: http://ravenbarsrepair.tumblr.com/
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz498FKw9LF1awJsKIqhoxQ

BeardedCarpenter
    Pro
    Winsted, CT

I have Craftsman (both older USA made and newer China made), Kobalt, and Husky. I’m not a mechanic so I don’t need anything better. I have a set of Husky deep sockets that I use more than the others. They suit my needs fine, which is usually for some type of connective hardware for framing/decking.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.366 seconds