dcsimg

What's the coolest looking tool you own…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 71 total)
  • Author

that you rarely/never use?

(in honor of Rob from another thread)

Or if you do have a cool looking tool that lives up to the cool-looks factor, share with us that as well so we can all be cooler 😉

John S

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

Interesting, what came to mind first is my FatMax Extreme short wrecking bar (fubar). Rarely gets used cause i don’t demo things a lot but looks like its ready for damage-mode at all hours of the day. Secondly would be my framing nailer only because its big and intimidating compared to its smaller brothers and resembles a weapon since it can fire stuff.

redwood
    Pro

Well I’ll confess that I don’t have this tool, but I was looking online for one that I do and couldn’t find it. Basically, I have a bar used for straightening twisted wood. I’ve had it forever and never use it. But this looks like a pretty reasonably expensive cool tool.

http://www.amazon.com/Dead-On-AN18-Annihilator-Wrecking/dp/B001SEQH1I

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

Mark, i’ve wanted that annihilator wrecking tool for a while but i went with the fatmax extreme instead because i didnt want to risk catching myself or anyone else with that awfully sharp but useful spear head on the bottom. Agreed, that thing looks cool.

whoa Mark that Annihilator looks (and sounds) like a beast of a tool!

John S

I realised after starting this post that you were asking for the coolest looking tool, but my favorite tool that I find is the coolest that I have is the multi-tool. I rarely use it, but it is very handy to have when you need it. I think it looks cool too.

Which multi-tool do you use Gerry?

John S

The brand is called Mastercraft, which is a brand that our Canadian Tire puts out.(Canadian Tire sells more than just tires). You probably aren’t familiar with. It’s a replacement for another cheap brand that I won’t support anymore, and that is the King brand. I know I shouldn’t buy these cheap brands, but sometimes the price dictates the product I am able to purchase. In this case $40 bought me this tool.

I know guys who bought the cheap brand (from Harbor Freight) of their multi tool and it has lasted them 3 years for only $20… Not a bad investment if it holds up to its use!

John S

Sometimes the brand is ok. Even the best brands have a bad day I suppose. I have a circular saw that is the “skil” brand which I’ve had for over twenty years and still circulating. I thought it met it’s end when I used it for cutting Hardie(with a special blade) plank siding for a house we built 3 years ago. I could hear the bearings screaming. But it’s the same saw I use today.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I would say that any of the Dead On tools are pretty cool looking. They have done a very good job mixing form with function.

redwood
    Pro

Have any of you seen one of these? I owned one many years ago and it was great. Unfortunately it was gone when my trailer was stolen. This was pre internet and I wasn’t able to find another one at the time. I think that I paid less then half of the cost it is today.

http://www.amazon.com/ZIPLEVEL-PRO-2000-Precision-Altimeter-Protective/dp/B000N4WYJS/ref=pd_sim_hi_6

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Never seen one ofnthose, looks like it would comemin handy if it would not take to much time tonlearn to use it.

redwood
    Pro

When I had it, it was prior to lasers being anywhere near affordable for the average contractor. It was extremely simple to use. I’ts actually just a modern water level.

What blows me away is the cost of it today. I did a search and it sells for over $1000 at Sears. If it was $ 200, I would buy one.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

For years while I was doing vinyl siding I used a homemade water level. A plastic container to hold the water and a 50 foot half inch diameter clear plastic hose. With a little dish soap and it makes the water move faster and easier sliding in the plastic hose. I got sophisticated after I got a Robo laser for Christmas.

redwood
    Pro

The Robo level was cool for it’s time. It was probably the first affordable laser. I had one, in fact I think one of my longtime employees still has it. So slow though. Always having to rotate it 360 deg. to calibrate.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

woodman_412

Probably the tool that I get the most comments on when people are watching me work on site is my folding Japanese saw. People always seem to be fascinated by it and think that it looks pretty cool. Most people think it looks like a weapon of some kind…nobody messes with me 🙂

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=41736&cat=1,42884

Dan

danpattison.com

redwood
    Pro

Dan, in the pic, your saw looks like one of the old razor blades tough guys used for shaving. Actually probably all guys used those. Anyone still do?

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

haha yes Mark some guys still do the single razor shaving… But that dozuki saw is quite a bit bigger than one of those razor blades…

I choose to shave using a safety razor (another old school method) b/c a) the blades are WAY cheaper (5 to 20 cents/blade, which last me a week or two) and b) my skin is very sensitive and shaving with a safety razor and badger brush keeps me from razor burn better and c) it is more enjoyable – I look forward to shaving.

John S

redwood
    Pro

I knew the saw was much bigger, it just set off a spark in my brain.

I haven’t completly shaved in over 30 years. Neither my wife or my kids have ever seen me completly shaven.

I think that the multi razor blades that they have today are just a gimmick. You don’t need 4 blades in a razor to get a close shave. But some of them do look cool.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 71 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.497 seconds