dcsimg

What's Old is New Again

This topic contains 24 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Éric Montreal_Medic 2 days, 4 hours ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Paul
    Paulc
    Pro

Hi all,
    Long time! I think since I’ve last posted here we’ve refinished our washroom and I’ve built an office/music room in the basement, as we needed my old space for an incoming family addition.

As part of that addition, my wife wanted me to refinish some hand-me-down furniture. I had a dresser and tall hutch/dresser combo thing to work on.

I’m told the dresser was my mother-in-laws; not clear if it goes back all the way to when she was a child or not, but it was a nice piece of furniture once the old finish was removed. I’m not actually sure what kind of wood it is (the middle drawer grain might imply oak, but it definitely isn’t – very tight grain). My mother in law thought cherry, which seems like it could be reasonable based on some googling (black cherry?)

The hutch was passed on by a family friend of my wife’s – it had certainly seen better days, with some names carved into the top, lots of dings and bruises. Not quite as solid as the dresser – on the verge of when things were starting to be made cheaper I guess. Mostly pine, but the drawers have some press board or mdf bottoms and backs.

Our original plan was to paint the whole hutch. After all of the sanding on the dresser I was certainly ready for a bit of an easier time for the hutch. I decided to stain the drawer fronts though to make it a bit different. The detail wasn’t too cumbersome to sand around on those – if it was any more detailed it would have probably gotten paint as well :).

Re: sanding – I had never really saw the point of having both a quarter sheet sander and a random orbital. I really went with the quarter sheet sander when I was younger as I thought sandpaper would be cheaper that way. For these projects I treated myself and picked up a Dewalt 5″ random orbital sander though. Wow! Wish I had tried that out sooner. Never realized the discs lasted better than sheets as well (unless I am just using low quality sandpaper sheets). Inside corners, mainly on the sides with the inset panels, were done with the triangle pads on an oscillating tool, finished up by hand.

On the hutch, I had to sand out some aforementioned carvings on the main flat surface – I could have done with filling these a second time after smoothing out; you can still see some indentations after painting. Oh well. Learned for next time.

Back to the dresser – it originally had a mirror on the back with quite some height. I do have the mirror but the frame had a significant crack; also my wife didn’t want the mirror on the redo, so I made a bit of a back splash to take up the space out of maple. The curves kind of mimic those just under the bottom drawer, which I used as a template.

On the dresser, though I went with two tones of stain (darker for the frame, lighter for the drawer faces) it came out fairly indistinguishable, unless you look closely. All in all though, fairly happy on how both turned out (and glad that they are done!). Hopefully they last for another generation.

Hope everyone is doing well and had a great holiday season!

Nice work there Paul! It does take time doesn’t it? I am sure you feel good that you were able to keep something in your family by restoring it. Now onto making some furniture from scratch?

Profile photo of Austin
    Clev08
    Pro

The contrasting white and natural wood looks great. I would have never thought to do that, but you made it work!

Profile photo of Jon
    jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Both pieces look great! Its always nice to be able to breathe new life into something old!

What kind of finish is on the dresser? The wood grain looks like poplar to me, but that middle drawer looks a bit different. I’ve seen such grain with poplar, but thats a classic oak look on that drawer.

Jon P.
    Walnut Builders, LLC

https://www.facebook.com/WalnutBuilders

Profile photo of Kevin
    Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

They look great Paul. Nice job!

Kevin.

Profile photo of Charlie
    cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

@paulc you did an awesome job on those pieces! I love the way you brightened them both up.

Charlie

Instagram

Those look great. A couple more generations of life in them. Congrats on a wonderful job.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

It turned it out very nice. good job on the dresser. thanks for sharing the pictures

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

That came out really nice. Refinishing can be challenging and rewarding at the same time.

Orange County, CA

Profile photo of Frank
    58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

On the dresser, though I went with two tones of stain (darker for the frame, lighter for the drawer faces) it came out fairly indistinguishable, unless you look closely. All in all though, fairly happy on how both turned out (and glad that they are done!). Hopefully they last for another generation.

Welcome back

Both pieces look great. I really like the look of natural wood, great job on the dresser.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Profile photo of Alex
    WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

The contrasting white and natural wood looks great. I would have never thought to do that, but you made it work!

I agree, not something I would have thought of either but I really like it.

Profile photo of Ron
    roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Nice job! I just don’t have the patients to refinish. It takes to much time for me.
    Looks great.

Profile photo of Peter
    smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Good to see you back again, Paul, and thanks for sharing those projects. I’m always so pleased to see old furniture restored and reused. There is so much character in the old styles and there is definitely lots of life left in them. Great work!

There is a crack in everything; that's how the light gets in.
    Leonard Cohen

Profile photo of Brian
    Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

@paulc nice to hear from you again,
    Great work on bringing those pieces back to life,
    Great finish and love the color contrast.

Profile photo of Paul
    Paulc
    Pro

@pi_woodworker – Hey Lon, thanks. Certainly take some time. Generally something I would enjoy, but the rushed nature of these pieces made it a bit of a chore some nights. Though I’d definitely like to move into making some furniture from scratch, I think it will be a while before I get back to a bigger wood project in the shop.

@jponto07 – Hi Jon – after staining with two colours I cleared the whole thing with diamond finish varathane. Definitely not poplar either – I had worked with this on a project just before this one so I was fairly familiar with it. Then again, there are different kinds of poplar I guess eh?

Thanks for the comments and welcome back all.

Profile photo of Jon
    jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Hi Jon – after staining with two colours I cleared the whole thing with diamond finish varathane. Definitely not poplar either – I had worked with this on a project just before this one so I was fairly familiar with it. Then again, there are different kinds of poplar I guess eh?

Interesting! Typically cherry gets fairly dark with a simple clear coat. Adding stain of about any shade will make it darker yet…it must be a lighter species then.

As far as their being different species of poplar, I really have no idea. Around here there is just the one offering that commonly has creams, browns, and green in the same board. It can be troublesome to identify for that reason.

Jon P.
    Walnut Builders, LLC

https://www.facebook.com/WalnutBuilders

Profile photo of r-ice
    r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

thats a great job with the refinishing. Looks better than it did before.

Profile photo of BeThePro Staff
    bethepro
    Keymaster
    Mt Prospect, IL

Glad to see you back on Paul. We kissed you.

Jim

Email us at bethepro@bethepro.com

Profile photo of Dirty
    DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

We kissed you.

Very nice work, looks beautiful! You can leave me outta the kissing tho….

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Profile photo of Paul
    Paulc
    Pro

@r-ice – sure glad it looks better than before. Would have been a shame if I somehow made them worse.

Jim… Thanks for the extra warm welcome? Good community.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)

You must login or register for the Pro Forum to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.123 seconds