dcsimg

What's Going On Here?

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 8 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Anonymous 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

Yesterday, I had to do a temporary re-route of a main service entrance for an addition.

There is a main service disconnect next to a pad-mounted transformer. The there is a conduit with 3 4/0 and a #6 ground to a vault, about 300 or more feet. From the vault it goes up a hill a couple hundred more feet to a pull box. In the pull box, it transitions to 2/0 SER cable into the main panel for the house.

Here’s where it gets screwy:

In the pull box, the SER cable is connected to the 4/0 conductors in the conduit, but the ground is just hanging loose. So I start digging around for one, and there isn’t any.

So I go the main disco, and there it is, on the ground bar, ground and neutral bonded as it should be.

Then I go to the vault, and there is the # 6 ground, just hanging in there.

So I figure they must have installed the main panel in the house as a service panel, and bonded the neutral, which would not be allowed now, but was under certain conditions in previous codes. But no, they are separate.

So I test hot to ground on random receptacles in the residence, and I get 120 volts. Now I’m really confused.

The panel in the house does have a ground rod, so maybe that is why, but the way I see it, this entire residence is ungrounded, but I still somehow get a voltage reading between hot and ground.

I think it needs a ground wire pulled between the vault and the pull box, and I think the electrician just screwed up. He also used PVC pipe wrap tape for his split bolts. :headbang:

I did discover this on hour 15 of what would become a 17 hour day, so it’s possible that I missed something.

Did I mention that I’ve worked 48 hours in the last 3 days? 😮

@tonyg You still around here?

Delta

Goin' Down In Flames........

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

This will be a fun one. How is your access? I’m assuming it would be a royal pain to pull the new ground if you determine it is necessary.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

TonyG
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

I’m still around!!!

So in my area the city brings in the wire to the house and it is a triplex, 2 hots and a neutral. No ground. We establish a ground at the house via the cold water pipe AND ground rods. I do not know how they do it from the transformer or in the vaults because we are not allowed in there at all. I have never seen inside one. I am curious to know what you find out.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I’m still around!!!

So in my area the city brings in the wire to the house and it is a triplex, 2 hots and a neutral. No ground. We establish a ground at the house via the cold water pipe AND ground rods. I do not know how they do it from the transformer or in the vaults because we are not allowed in there at all. I have never seen inside one. I am curious to know what you find out.

They do it the same way around here.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro

This will be a fun one. How is your access? I’m assuming it would be a royal pain to pull the new ground if you determine it is necessary.

Not bad at all, really. It’s in conduit between the vault and the pull box.

Delta

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro

I’m still around!!!

Basically the same deal here, it’s just that this is a very rural property, so instead of an overhead service drop, they run 12,000 volt to a pad-mounted transformer. Then, from there on in, it’s the same.

So there is a service disconnect with the neutral and ground bonded, and then the neutral bar not bonded at the main house panel.

What I can’t figure out is, 1, how did this ever pass inspection, and 2, why would I get a voltage reading between hot and ground if the ground is not even connected.

The only thing I can think is, either they bonded the neutral at some other location, (not likely), or the only reason I’m getting a reading is because of the ground rods, which would be a code violation, because the earth cannot be the primary or only ground-fault return path.

Delta

Our area would be the same. Ground at the house not at the pad or transformer. That’s not to say they don’t have the transformer grounded but it’s not tied to the house service. Now if you ran a separate sub panel from the house to an outbuilding then you would want the grounds all connected with an additional ground rod at the outbuilding.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro

Our area would be the same. Ground at the house not at the pad or transformer. That’s not to say they don’t have the transformer grounded but it’s not tied to the house service. Now if you ran a separate sub panel from the house to an outbuilding then you would want the grounds all connected with an additional ground rod at the outbuilding.

Well, yeah, it’s the same here. I don’t know about grounding on the transformer, this is between the service disconnect and the panel. The panel needs to be grounded back to the grounding point, which is where the neutral is bonded at the “service point”.

Without that, I should get a reading of 0 volts between hot and ground.

Delta

Anonymous

I had a problem one time with my neautral that coming from the pole even though I have water line ground and had 2 8ft copper pipe grounding to but somehow when I turn by bass in the house lights were dimming with the base. Called the pseg multiple times but they insist saying something had to happen from inside of the house whatever . Somehow I call as a emergency and they came to see what’s going on even technician came in said something had to be wrong in the house I give him 6 pack of beer. And told him no its not the house he gets he’s volt meter out finally check connection to that comes to the house. And he’s like its gonna sound weird but you did had a lose neautral on the pole side. Before he was insisting they don’t come lose. The goes on the bucket tight the bolt everything back to normal. Even though we have grounds on are pipes and rods go in the ground neautral that comes.from the pole is more stable then them.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.305 seconds