dcsimg

What's fresh in your career?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Basically what in your career is fresh or new for you lately? This question can be answered in many different contexts, feel free to express yourself.

Life is 10% what happens to you, 90% Attitude.

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

Not sure if this counts, but I installed an Andersen composite replacement window yesterday for the first time. I’ve done a lot of vinyl windows, but these are definitely an upgrade.the one in the pic isn’t finished, obviously.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Basically what in your career is fresh or new for you lately? This question can be answered in many different contexts, feel free to express yourself.

You first…

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

You first…

Wow thanks for adding some great discussion here dirty 🙄

I would say something new in the plumbing industry is that we are using a lot more plastic pipe where we would have used copper or steel pipe before. This is helping to majorly lower labour and material costs

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

You first…

I would say something new in the plumbing industry is that we are using a lot more plastic pipe where we would have used copper or steel pipe before. This is helping to majorly lower labour and material costs

Do you think this good think or a bad thing using plastic over the others?

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

I would say the newest development I have is that I have been heavily promoting aging-in-place/handicap accessibility remodels and they have become a quickly growing portion of my workload.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Not sure if this counts, but I installed an Andersen composite replacement window yesterday for the first time. I’ve done a lot of vinyl windows, but these are definitely an upgrade.the one in the pic isn’t finished, obviously.

We did a replacement at an office building a couple years ago with 56 of the Anderson 100 windows, it was a nice clean job and went well. I really like those windows.

Clev08
    Pro

We have been installing a lot of primed fiber board trim lately. It’s cheap, flexible, and easy to put up but I wouldn’t put it in my house. This is a link to it
    https://www.munnlumber.com/media/cms/Fiberboard_Primed_Moldings_E5B540D878B91.pdf

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

I think it’s good for now, but we’ll have to see how these newer materials last over time

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

I think it’s good for now, but we’ll have to see how these newer materials last over time

All I’ve seen used here in the last 25 years has been plastic, CPVC mainly, starting to see some PEX being used .

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

All I’ve seen used here in the last 25 years has been plastic, CPVC mainly, starting to see some PEX being used .

Cpvc has been around for a while here but it’s getting approved for use a lot more lately. Also starting to see a lot more stainless steel pipe being used where copper would have been used before

I’ve helped a contractor with some construction clean up on a few of his job sites as side jobs in the past, well I did one recently but I had brought my own 100 ft. garden hose and attachment, a BUNCH of quality cleaning rags, a window scrubber, and a squeegee. With my own supplies, his broom and vacuum, and my back round in window cleaning I made quick work of what normally takes a while, the results were far superior, and he was very happy. Well now he’s trying to schedule me for some upcoming dates but I told him I’m too busy for a while, well he countered with he could offer me $40 an hour as a “professional rate”, which I could not refuse. The most I’ve made working was $30 an hour so if this ends up happening it will be a fresh experience for me.

You first…

You’re not my boss Dirty. Just Kidding, make my cheque out to Irish Red.

We have been installing a lot of primed fiber board trim lately. It’s cheap, flexible, and easy to put up but I wouldn’t put it in my house. This is a link to it
    https://www.munnlumber.com/media/cms/Fiberboard_Primed_Moldings_E5B540D878B91.pdf

If it’s similar to Particle Board it would not fare well out here in Hawaii, Particle Board get’s destroyed out here but for some reason they still send stuff made with it out here.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

If it’s similar to Particle Board it would not fare well out here in Hawaii, Particle Board get’s destroyed out here but for some reason they still send stuff made with it out here.

We use it by the miles out here in the most expensive homes. It doesn’t work well for window sills or liners but for everything else it’s great. The bugs don’t seem to like it as much as wood.

Yea I’d like to hear what the OP has on his plate as he opened the thread.

Dirty

We use it by the miles out here in the most expensive homes. It doesn’t work well for window sills or liners but for everything else it’s great. The bugs don’t seem to like it as much as wood.

You’ve given me a new thread idea – Particle board failing on Kauai. I’ll have a bunch of pictures of this over time.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

That good. I remember about 8 or 9 years ago one of the building my wife work in had ABS hot water line come apart and flood the building. The building was roughly a year old at the time. I ran into the plumber who worked on the job who is local guy I know. He was the one install that pipe. I don’t think it has happened again.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

thankfully, the answer to this question changes often. most rectently, i’m doing a lot more concrete formwork and working with different systems

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Cpvc has been around for a while here but it’s getting approved for use a lot more lately. Also starting to see a lot more stainless steel pipe being used where copper would have been used before

Everything has been PEX around here for since 2001. about 10 years ago the copper gas lines were replaced with CSST (corrugated stainless steel tubing) most houses have less than 20 feet of copper in them any more.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

You’ve given me a new thread idea – Particle board failing on Kauai. I’ll have a bunch of pictures of this over time.

That is not Particle board as you are thinking of it..

Dirty

It happened! Worked my one job for 3 hours in the morning and boss was so pleased he threw on a bonus hour to my time sheet. Then went to the side job and got paid $40 an hour for the first time in my life, then they gave everyone working there some pau hana beers (Corona and Coors Light unfortunately but hey free beer) and Whiskey shots for those who wanted but I don’t like hard liquor. Working there again tomorrow as the final day and looking forward to it, boss there is super happy because he already got recommendation work today after the main manager of the condominium complex seen the work + level of construction clean up happening. There seem’s to be synergy between this guys fast pace job start to completion style + my fast pace and efficient clean up style. I’m tempted to start buying blue tape rolls and plastic and helping him with job prep for a fee too if he’s open to it, I’ve always liked the quote “an ounce of prevention is worth a gallon of solution”.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.386 seconds