dcsimg

What vehicle do use?

This topic contains 92 replies, has 32 voices, and was last updated by  theamcguy 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 93 total)
  • Author

Im looking at an all wheeled drive full size chevy cargo van. With my business, I really think I need a van and outgrown my needs for a truck. Do any of you have any input on how you made your decisions? I’m thinking staying white and getting a retired fleet truck. Any thoughts are welcome.

Pro since 1990

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open

Frank Zappa

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

@moze has a sweet Mercedes Metris van! He can probably offer some wisdom on the subject.

I personally drive a Subaru Outback currently, but I’m getting much closer to upgrading to a truck. Its not often that I need a truck, but when you do….well, you just do. The Subaru does 95% of what I need though. Its paid for and gets great mileage, so its got that going for it.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

I love my old subaru outback! My work is taking me places I can’t carry a little kit, where I have tape, to toggle bolts, to drop cloths. I do need the 4wd

Pro since 1990

Frank Zappa

Chop saws, table saw, and 6x6s

Plus alot of tile, stone, and mortar.

Pro since 1990

Frank Zappa

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

I just got a gmc (Chevy) extended van and am loving the space. I too just cake from a subaru. Funny how many people on here had or still work out of them. I got my van for free but if I had the cash I would probably get the Ford transit. Couple different sizes and good space. There are pros and cons to all the options out there. The Chevy is built like a tank and will probably be the most reliable although it’s a dinosaur compared to all the other options out there. Every other manufacturer has updated their van line up to have good use of space and good millage.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

I use a Dodge Ram 1500 to carry my stuff around. I don’t have to worry about rain or so because it barely rains here in the desert.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

I currently use a 1999 dodge cargo van. It’s wore out. But it taught me to love the van again. Chevy made awd vans from 2003 – 2014..They’re pretty rare, but Quigley conversions are like 12 grand

Pro since 1990

Frank Zappa

Thank you guys so much for your input. Our trucks are our tools, I really do need help in picking it, I’m on the 4×4 chevy full size, or Ford 2wd

Pro since 1990

Frank Zappa

The new Mercedes van 4×4 is crazy

Pro since 1990

Frank Zappa

I think I’m going to buy the half ton. It’s the chevy 5.3 all wheel drive cargo van

Pro since 1990

Frank Zappa

Masterbosch
    Pro
    Wayne, NJ

I have 2003 dodge ram 1500 4×4 4.7 stick shift. Have a hard cover (fiberglass one piece) for bed it’s quad cab it does the job perfect for me I can carry whatever. And I am still in style don’t have to worry about getting stuck. I have easy access to my basement so changing tools daily anyway. I can never fit all my tools in any car so I think truck is best option.van you can only use for work.

plusoneconstructionllc@gmail.com

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I have a Chevy 2500 3/4 ton van. It’s the same as the GMC I have done a lot of work on it and it need to go to the junk yard now, I’m still driving it. The best part of it is the radio still works. I could never work with less space. I think a 3/4 ton is the lightest suspention I would go with. For some reason I use a lot of tools as I do so much unforseen work. I wish I had a 7-3:30 job doing the same thing every day. At the end of the day I use anything that is running. I’ve been in a Ford ranger a lot lately just because it runs good…

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I have 2003 dodge ram 1500 4×4 4.7 stick shift. Have a hard cover (fiberglass one piece) for bed it’s quad cab it does the job perfect for me I can carry whatever. And I am still in style don’t have to worry about getting stuck. I have easy access to my basement so changing tools daily anyway. I can never fit all my tools in any car so I think truck is best option.van you can only use for work.

agreed, love my 2015 silverado , its amazing on crappy road conditions to snow covered routes. I can fit everything in the back or take everything out and use it for a quick dump run.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

I have a Chevy 3500 with a 12′ box ( a cube ) and 3′ deck above the cabin. Plenty of space for my needs.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

i have a 2012 f150 extended cab with the 6 ‘6 bed, ive had it two years . it was a much needed upgrade from the 06 colorado i had which was way too small for the gear i carry

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

I had a 1/2 ton CrewCab Chevy. Loved that truck. Bought it new in ’05. But I also was frustrated with it from the day I bought it. It was ALWAYS too small, and I couldn’t tow much with it.

I upgraded to a Ford F-350 crew cab diesel long bed a few years back. I had a custom lumber rack built for it. But it was getting high miles on it, so I just got a Dodge crew car dually flatbed. The Cummins diesel is awesome, the Dodge, not so much. And I miss the heck out of my lumber rack. But a flatbed is great for the ranch, and actually pretty darn good for construction, too.

But for me, I tow all the time, over 10,000 lbs, so anything less than a 3500 is just too small for me.

When I started out in the trades, I was working for a Union Electrical Contractor, and we had a dozen or more service bodies. Those are hands down the best thing to work out of in my opinion. When I make enough money, I’ll get a brand new Ford F-350, with a service body.

Someday.

Delta

Goin' Down In Flames........

Rob
    Pro
    Birmingham, Alabama

The vans are the best for us, I love keeping the tools dry.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I am looking at a ford Transit at an upcoming Richie Brothers Auction in our area. they have 4. I need to set up a vehicle with a full set of basic tools for the guys to use on smaller jobs and for service and warranty,

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

Where I am even the “downtown” isn’t crazy busy or hard to maneuver so I chose to go the truck and trailer route.

I use my ram 1500 as a work and personal vehicle, alot of random and daily use tools hang out in the box of the truck with the tonneau cover, and the rest rides around in my 6×12 enclosed trailer.

I prefer the trailer for a bunch of reasons, but one of the biggest has to be that I can leave it at a job with guys working and take off for a bit without having to worry about them needing something.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

can fit everything in the back or take everything

What kind of tools do you load up for the work you do? How do you keep all your tools from getting wet? What is it you do?

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 93 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.625 seconds