dcsimg

What to finish cut a 20" x 20" Beam with?

Tagged: 

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

The absolute cheapest and easiest way in my opinion would be using an Alaskan mill, just on end the end cut instead of length wise.

After the initial cut things go pretty smoothly, however it would be best to pass them through a planer. Id personally go this route, especially given the room in the budget for a specialty tool, they will still be way ahead using this method even if they ended up paying someone to stand there and pass pieces through the planer.

I have an alaskian mill and i wouldn’t want to do it that way. too many cuts, i’d rather have it like the video i posted, would be easier on the body.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

you could also set up a band saw mill vertically and have the beam stationary and slide the band saw past the beam cutting off a tile with each pass.

Didn’t know such a small large saw existed for such cuts. But how exact is that enough for this application?

this one has 30″ between the guides

https://www.hud-son.com/products/product-detail/hfe-30-homesteader

Hi @bethepro did your buddy every settle on what type of machine he was going to use on cutting that beam end grain cuts .

Always willing to learn .

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I would love a project like this, I would enjoy building something to make the cuts. I really like building things to solve problems like this

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

I have to wonder if it would make more sense to contract with a local mill to cut the beam. I understand the cost of the saw is figured in but it make much sense to dump $20k into a saw that you are not going to have a long term use for…

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I have to wonder if it would make more sense to contract with a local mill to cut the beam. I understand the cost of the saw is figured in but it make much sense to dump $20k into a saw that you are not going to have a long term use for…

yah a mill would probably be able to do this faster and quicker than if you would be to pick up a chainsaw to do. However that still isn’t the hardest part. The checking is quick, almost hours if the wood is wet.

redwood
    Pro

I was just at a small lumber mill last week. They had a vertical bandsaw that just moved back and forth on rails and would easily accommodate 20″ timbers. Material comes out rough sawn, but could be sanded smooth with a floor sander.

Now this saw is intended for logs, so some modifications would be needed to hold the material perpendicular to the bandsaw plane.

I to would be very concerned with the possibility of checking and warpage.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

It will be interesting to hear how they do it. No matter what, unless they are able to get everything cut to fairly close tolerances, I would run the blanks through a timesaver to clean them up and dimension them.

I saw a floor ar a meeting haul that was made of 4 x 6 on end. it was an old horse barn but a beautiful floor, one made of 20″ butt cuts would be stunning. Curious how thick they are planning on cutting them.

@bethepro

below is a photo of the floor, the wood is to the outside of the pavers

Attachments:
    bethepro
    Keymaster
    Mt Prospect, IL

Wow. What a response. I actually got the specs wrong (as this was a passing conversation with the foreman). It actually was for 1″ x 20″ Capacity. See what happens when you get excited.

The flooring company is one that absolutely know what they’re doing. Make sure to block some time to check out the amazing work John and his 3 crews (along with 3 woodshops) do for clients.

Do y’all know what a name your price guy is? Well you just met one. John doesn’t need to haggle.

https://www.johnyarema.com/

Pretty sick stuff. This is just a sample of his end cut work.

Jim

Email us at bethepro@bethepro.com

Attachments:
    kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Those are some amazing floors.

I found the one below interesting. I believe the plane in the photo was built right here in Owatonna almost 20 years ago. A local businessman was friends with Sam Johnson and had a plane restoration company. He built 2 of them one for Sam and one for himself. His has changed hands several times but was seen in the opening scenes of the movie pearl harbor.

They were basically built from scratch using blueprints from the original planes built back in the 30’s They are Sikorsky S-38 biplanes

Doobie

I’ve seen some of John’s work online years ago. Stunning works! The man is in a class of his own.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

ok that is actually really cool looking,, its all randomized by the looks of it.

i initially thought they were talking about going for a uniform look

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

That’s an incredible wood floor design you posted jim of his work . He has super caliber of work and attention to detail for sure .

Always willing to learn .

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

amazing details, but i am still really curious how he prevents checking and wood movement. does he seal it with something? wouldn’t it wear off after a while of walking over it?

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Freackingly awesome what’s on that site! Floors talking.
    Go on the “Shop” tab.
    You’ll see a spoon with a nice price tag: $57,000.00
    What am I missing?

Uh, did you guys miss the part where they don’t want to sand or plane the pieces before install?
    I was thinking a big horizontal bandsaw would probably give you decent enough cuts for install. I’m guessing there will be some sort of spaced joints between the “tiles”, so using a floor sander isn’t really an option as it would be jumping around. I’m thinking a floor buffer with sanding screens is the only way to finish sand.

That’s the exact saw I was going to suggest, we use them at work and get great results with them, and for the most part, we cut aluminum and steel with them.
    I’m late to the show,
    Great picture Jim and beautiful work they do.

redwood
    Pro

amazing details, but i am still really curious how he prevents checking and wood movement. does he seal it with something? wouldn’t it wear off after a while of walking over it?

Doesn’t look like he even tried to prevent checking. Looks to me like there are some pieces that broke clear through and he still used them.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Doesn’t look like he even tried to prevent checking. Looks to me like there are some pieces that broke clear through and he still used them.

I guess i understand that it has its aesthetic appeal but what about further on? might develop splinters and such no?

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Wow. What a response. I actually got the specs wrong (as this was a passing conversation with the foreman). It actually was for 1″ x 20″ Capacity. See what happens when you get excited.

The flooring company is one that absolutely know what they’re doing. Make sure to block some time to check out the amazing work John and his 3 crews (along with 3 woodshops) do for clients.

Do y’all know what a name your price guy is? Well you just met one. John doesn’t need to haggle.

https://www.johnyarema.com/

Pretty sick stuff. This is just a sample of his end cut work.

Jim

That work is just amazing!

I can recall the Massey Ferguson factory here in Toronto (demolished since). All of the working floors were end grain laid over a very heavy subfloor. The end grain was the working floor and was repaired/replaced as required as it was worn. A very efficient, effective flooring solution for a manufacturing environment. Comfortable to walk on, quiet, and dropped parts were seldom damaged.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

@smallerstick so if it checked or damaged they would just rip it up and nail another piece down?

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.446 seconds