dcsimg

What liquid waterproofing membrane is BEST for shower walls (over DUROCK)

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    oliver1
    Pro

Hello I am looking for the best liquid waterproofing membrane over Durock cement board in a regular shower NOT a steam shower and the products my looking at are Hydro Ban, Redguard, and Durock has a fairly new product they have now USG Durock liquid membrane, the Hydro Ban is the only one that has to be used with their sheet membrane if used for steam shower application,does that make Hydro Ban a less superior product and the Durock product has no reviews yet so if anyone can please help me decide what to get thank you

oliver1
    Pro

I need to choose Hydro Ban, Redgaurd, USG Durock liquid membrane, I hear a lot of good things on Hydro ban and Redgaurd ????

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I use RedGard in my showers. Been very happy with it.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Attachments:
    TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

If your using porcelain or glazed ceramic with a non porous grout it really doesnt matter.
    Two things I encourage…..1/8″ grout joints. Thats ensures me I am getting grout deep into the joint. You cant be certain with tighter joints. The I love the Power Grout.

Im sure any of the liquid membranes put out by the major manufacturers are going to be great insure. My personal one is Aqua Defense

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

rerun_1965
    Pro
    holladay, TN

we used RedGuard on my shower and it seemed really good for me

RedGuard is a great product, but maybe in the future consider using the Schluter Kerdi shower product. I’ve been using them for years and haven’t and one problem. Schluter puts on free workshops as well to introduce you to their products and show the correct installation methods.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

I opened a bucket 3/4 full hydroban cured rock-solid pissed me off today.

How to run out and buy a new one and picked up aquadefense.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I don’t think you could go wrong with Hydro Ban or Redguard. Those are very widely used over here.

Clev08
    Pro

I have used redguard in the past and have been happy with it. I have never used hydro ban so I can’t speak on that.

CB
    Spectator

Had a Schluter trained tile guy come out to our site last week to do a tub shower wall tile install. Had that roll of yellow stuff all over the driveway. He told me that Schluter even put him up in a hotel to train him. I didn’t have time to watch his install process as I had my own work to do, but it definitely was interesting to hear how the company is very strict about training the installers of their products.

I have been installing Schluter products for many years now and have been through their training. I have never attended anything remotely close to their training. They have the workshops in really nice motels and will pay for your rooms to stay and the food is crazy that they cater in, and its all absolutely free. They just want to inform the installers how to use their products properly. Check their website for workshop dates and try to attend one if you get a chance, you wont regret it. Also its not just for showers, they cover any kind of tile application you can imagine.

redguard is superb. highly recommended. 🙂

NENETH GERONA
    Tusco Inc.
    4000 Industrial Drive Cottondale, AL 35453
    205-553-8616
    www.tuscoinc.com

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

The shower we are having done now, we will be installing regular drywall and Schluter Kerdi membrane over it. It seems to be the most cost effective option and the one the tile installers like best.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Very timely discussion for me. I will be starting a shower install in the next few weeks and will need to make some decisions. I like the idea of Schluter Kerdi and regular drywall; seems to me to be a very easy install as well as secure.

EDIT My local tile supplier/installer is recommending I use Kerdi Board and lay tile directly over that. Kerdi Board uses screws with large flat washers attached which are sealed when the corners and openings are sealed.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

I regularly use Redguard with good results, I like the product. Just follow the directions…tape and mud your seams and 2 coats.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I regularly use Redguard with good results, I like the product. Just follow the directions…tape and mud your seams and 2 coats.

I like to do three coats on the joints. And two on the rest of the surface’s.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Schluter all the way – love the stuff. Easy application and bullet proof when installed correctly.

Orange County, CA

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.323 seconds