dcsimg

What kind of wood is this?

This topic contains 33 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  GTokley 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 21 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

It’s oak.

Same opinion here.

I Would also say Oak

Yep, It is oak.

It must be Oak.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Ok it looks like those boards are oak. Thanks guys your input. I too thought they might be oak when I first saw the boards. Then I thought maybe butternut. I know my grandpa had this lumber sawed. I just never knew there was much oak on the farm. I guess there could have been some oak trees growing along the fences.

Now the next question is – what are you going to make with it? I wish I had some wood from a direct ancestor like that. It would be great to make an heirloom that could be handed to the next generation and beyond.

That is a great question Lon! It is too early to tell. Before I got this wood I thought about making my girls each a shadow box to put there swim badges and skating ribbons & medals in. This oak might be perfect for this.

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

n859715
    Pro

My vote is Ash also.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

My vote is Ash also.

Welcome to the program,, Very nice username.

Dirty

Late joining in but it is oak. Sticker the boards in a dry cool place and you will have several years to turn it into a project. Any moisture and rough sawn oak will rot fast.

Ron

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Late joining in but it is oak. Sticker the boards in a dry cool place and you will have several years to turn it into a project. Any moisture and rough sawn oak will rot fast.

Ron

Thanks for your input Ron.

I have seen where red oak rots fast. It it my understand that white oak does handle moisture well. I have a couple boards. That I think are white oak that were the only 2 boards left on the well platform that the hand pump was fasten too at my grandparents farm. They seem to be in not too bad of shape. Someday I want to clean them up and make something out of them.

Greg

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

rsbaldwin

@rsbaldwin,, Welcome to the site. Baldwin is one of the biggest names in Hawaii. Know as one of the big five land owners from the missionary and sugarcane plantation days here.

Dirty

I had no idea about Baldwins and Hawaii, mayde I have a long lost Uncle there that wants to adopt me!!

Ron

Yeah!! Looks a lot like Ash.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Yeah!! Looks a lot like Ash.

Your right it does look like Ash. But I do believe it is Oak.

Greg

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I think it’s ash too.

Dirty

According to me its Butternut. This kind of wood is quite costlier than others. But whether it is high-quality wood or low quality, termites are the unwanted guests which get attracted to the wood. In CA there are many homes and wooden shops which have got infested with termites. Termites are the one who eats wood from the inside, making the wood hollow and leave a powder like structure behind. Experts from pest control elk grove CA know how to exterminate the termites from the depth and thus they use that kind of techniques for the extermination purpose.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

According to me its Butternut. This kind of wood is quite costlier than others. But whether it is high-quality wood or low quality, termites are the unwanted guests which get attracted to the wood. In CA there are many homes and wooden shops which have got infested with termites. Termites are the one who eats wood from the inside, making the wood hollow and leave a powder like structure behind. Experts from pest control elk grove CA know how to exterminate the termites from the depth and thus they use that kind of techniques for the extermination purpose.

From what I’ve been told by my friends in Sacramento the people at pest control elk grove CA really did a poor job with their termites. In fact they said in 2 months the termites were worse than ever.
    @phyllisburke are you in Sacramento?

Dirty

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

This is what I first thought. Now I think it is oak. I am not sure 100% sure where the lumber came from. Either way I am happy to have the lumber.

Greg

Viewing 14 posts - 21 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.592 seconds