dcsimg

What kind of wood is this?

This topic contains 23 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  DirtyWhiteBoy 2 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • Author

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I picked up some lumber today that was out at my Grandparent’s farm. I am not really sure what it is. I ran the hand plane over one board. I am thinking it might be Butternut. I just wondering if anyone knows what kind wood it might be?

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

seems a like a little more open grain that I would expect from Butternut. I would say It is Oak. Some Older Growth with narrower ring spacing on the grain.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Looks a lot like Ash to me.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

I picked up some lumber today that was out at my Grandparent’s farm. I am not really sure what it is. I ran the hand plane over one board. I am thinking it might be Butternut. I just wondering if anyone knows what kind wood it might be?

Butternut is a possibility. Are you able to dent it with your fingernail? Both ash and oak are very difficult to dent like that.

https://www.instagram.com/woodiworkshop/

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Looks a lot like Ash to me.

Looks like an ash to me too but then I’m not good with identifying woods.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I am thinking it is Ash . Hard to say from a picture though.

It looks more like oak to me. My hint is the curved grain at the lower left in the picture. It looks like there are some flecks in the grain found in oak.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

seems a like a little more open grain that I would expect from Butternut. I would say It is Oak. Some Older Growth with narrower ring spacing on the grain.

I thought it was Oak when I first saw the lumber. I saw some bark on some of the other boards. That made me think is was butternut.

Are you able to dent it with your fingernail?

I will have to try it to see if dents.

I know some of the the knots on the boards looked like oak. I will take a few more pictures of some other boards. I am thinking these boards have sawed since 1995 and have been sitting in the barn since then. I have seen these boards many times but never paid much attention to them. There looks to be over 50 board feet I got.

Greg

Another thought – how heavy does the wood feel? Oak is denser and heavier than butternut.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Another thought – how heavy does the wood feel? Oak is denser and heavier than butternut.

The wood does feel heavier for sure.

Greg

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Put up a picture with the end grain.
    Closest and clearer you can get and a normal one to see the growth rings.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Oak and ash are very close to each other in density and hardness. White ash is a little more blond than red or white oak. And is just as open grained.

Ron

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Put up a picture with the end grain.
    Closest and clearer you can get and a normal one to see the growth rings.

I have taken a few more pictures. I added a photo with the board I showed earlier on the left & another board on the right. The board on the right has some bark on it.

Greg

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Now that I can see a larger picture of the boards. It’s oak.

Ron

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I thought it could have been oak. But the bark on some of the boards threw me off.

Greg

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Same opinion here.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I Would also say Oak based on the end grain and the rays in the wood. The bark looks like Oak to me also.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Same opinion here.

I Would also say Oak based on the end grain and the rays in the wood. The bark looks like Oak to me also.

Ok it looks like those boards are oak. Thanks guys your input. I too thought they might be oak when I first saw the boards. Then I thought maybe butternut. I know my grandpa had this lumber sawed. I just never knew there was much oak on the farm. I guess there could have been some oak trees growing along the fences.

Greg

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Yep, It is oak.

Ok it looks like those boards are oak. Thanks guys your input. I too thought they might be oak when I first saw the boards. Then I thought maybe butternut. I know my grandpa had this lumber sawed. I just never knew there was much oak on the farm. I guess there could have been some oak trees growing along the fences.

Now the next question is – what are you going to make with it? I wish I had some wood from a direct ancestor like that. It would be great to make an heirloom that could be handed to the next generation and beyond.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.065 seconds