dcsimg

What is your trade/ specialty?

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 143 total)
  • Author

I started out as a mechanic. Impossible to get an apprenticeship in the 80’s so I went on to working in the mine. After that I went on to tons of different jobs. Worked framing, siding, windows, doing decks, plumbing and heating and electrical, auto body work, a transmission shop. Settled in to factory work and made truck rims where I did line work, repair welding and set-up/maintenance. Worked at another place that made hubs for sheeves, setting up, repairing and running various equipment from a machine that used to make bomb casings in WW2 to CNCs. Then went into the bearing factory running proprietary CNC, NC, and manual equipment for the aerospace sector, then moved into the auto division where I rose to a class A set-up operator, again with CNC and NC stuff. A whole slew of other odd jobs in there too.

Lots of school. Drafting, rigging, metallurgy, metrology, Statistical Process Control, grinding school, and a slew of others including the first part of the Industrial Electrician course. Also did some Electrical Engineering in school too.

Ended up destroying my knee in the bearing factory and developing phlebitus too. Now living off a fixed income and being a hobbiest. They wanted me to go into customer service, but I was wholly unsuited for dealing with people. More of a hands on kind of guy.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Sometimes it’s unclear who does what,

I don’t think everyone will show up to this thread??

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

redwood
    Pro

Retired from the trades after 42 years, 38 as a self employed contractor.

I know exactly how you guys feel about the plans you get. Most architects don’t even blush about it. We design, you figure it out.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

I consider myself a carpenter – I spent a few years production framing, then several years running a crew for a spec builder – did pretty much everything from the ground up. The last several years have been primarily spent remodeling…carpentry is still my bread and butter but I do a good deal of tile setting, drywall hanging and finishing, cabinet/countertop building, plumbing….

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Grew up working on an old house and getting it ready for sale every winter. After being in structural mantenence in the Air Force I came out and moved to Fla where we built pole barns. That was ugly. Paid by the job and got on a good crew so we flew threw them. Got old fast. Came back to Ohio and hooked up to an Industrial roofing crew in Akron, Great life for a couple of years, but then I fell in heat and wanted to be home more. Went back to work with family house painting business. Last 20 years I have taught inner city kids that for the most part are in and out of JJC, done painting on the side and worked on countless rentals. Love the trades and do fairly well in a few, Just not nearly as well as some of the pros here. Guess thats why I like hanging around and seeing what you guys and gals (Tara included) doevery day. Still help on small building jobs when I can or someone needs a hand

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Sometimes it’s unclear who does what,

I don’t think everyone will show up to this thread??

Oh I know…I’m trying to do my part to encourage it though.

A little about myself: I’m a self employed contractor in south central Indiana. My preference is to build furniture and custom built ins, but that type of work doesn’t really pay the bills so I do basically anything aside from drywall. Lately our work has ranged from pressure washing and resurfacing decks to building dressers, to repairing rotten wood siding. I always look at job requests before making the final judgment as to wether or not I want to take the work…more often than not, I’m interested in some capacity.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

I’m a journeyman plumber and gas fitter, been in the trade for around 5 years or so. Most of my experience is with commercial and industrial applications, but I’ve done a lot of residential work as well. I recently took on a job with an Hvac company doing lots of work for a few big oilfield companies here in Alberta. I have a huge love for 3d printing and I’m slowly trying to get into 3d design. It’s just a hobby for me for now, but eventually I think it could become a nice business opportunity.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

I to am a self employed contractor. I started out building custom cabinets. I did that gig for 18 years. When things would get a little slow we did a little bit of everything from farm work to building barns to stay busy. When everything came to a stop here I had to do something to make ends meet. So I started taking on small remodel jobs. And that turned out to be what I wanted to do. It has really grown over the past 4-5 years.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

I to am a self employed contractor. I started out building custom cabinets. I did that gig for 18 years. When things would get a little slow we did a little bit of everything from farm work to building barns to stay busy. When everything came to a stop here I had to do something to make ends meet. So I started taking on small remodel jobs. And that turned out to be what I wanted to do. It has really grown over the past 4-5 years.

It is nice when things look so bad and then open something that works out so good. Think that is why I like the real pro’s in here. Seems like folks in the trades just don’t give up.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

It is nice when things look so bad and then open something that works out so good. Think that is why I like the real pro’s in here. Seems like folks in the trades just don’t give up.

I think it’s only natural to cross over into other areas. There are quite a few similarities from one trade to the other and if you want to keep our head above water, crossing into other areas is necessary in most markets.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

I think it’s only natural to cross over into other areas. There are quite a few similarities from one trade to the other and if you want to keep our head above water, crossing into other areas is necessary in most markets.

You are 100% correct IMO. Thats what make the pro’s special. Not everyone can do it so naturally.

redwood
    Pro

Whatever it takes to keep food on the plates. I was a carpentry contractor, but I learned a lot of different trades by necessity, just to keep my guys working and the cash flowing. Not too much I can’t do, if it is required.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

Whatever it takes to keep food on the plates. I was a carpentry contractor, but I learned a lot of different trades by necessity, just to keep my guys working and the cash flowing. Not too much I can’t do, if it is required.

Mark, not sure there is much you haven’t done, and excelled highly at it

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Why not list your new CNC woodworking trade??

Dirty

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Some impressive backgrounds, too me at least.

One thing I feel is so often over looked is the intelligence that is acquired and employed. The common sense used to trouble shoot clever alternative options or create new. We put a vision in our heads as a goal then plan way to achieve the outcome.

Maybe many do the same in their jobs but I dont like that so many view us as just service laborers.

The skill portion has been diminished and needs to be brought back.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

redwood
    Pro

I don’t consider it a trade or a job, it’s a hobby.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I don’t consider it a trade or a job, it’s a hobby.

Well how many do you need to pump out till you call it a trade,, I don’t think I could do that work.

Dirty

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Its not a trade its a replicating service.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Studied metallurgy after high school then worked in a met lab doing physical testing, NDT and failure analysis. Got into sales to the basic iron, steel and iron foundry industries. Somehow went from that to picking antiques, repairing and restoring as necessary to turn a buck. Bought a house that was in need of renovation so learned to do that. Sold industrial power tools and assembly automation for over 20 years as well as renovating and flipping houses in downtown Toronto. I was downsized too early for retirement so I started and operated a barbeque catering business til I finally retired 6 or 7 years ago. Just a woodworking hobbyist now.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Clev08
    Pro

I currently am a self employed contractor, I work for my Father and two other general contractors mostly, although I do get some of my own work. After I get married an 2 1/2 weeks I will finish my degree to be a teacher and plan to continue working with my tools in the summer, most likely I will end up starting a summer deck building business since there aren’t very many people around here who know how to build decks properly…

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 143 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.487 seconds