dcsimg

What is your trade/ specialty?

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 143 total)
  • Author

yah they monitor everything at my office, you sneeze and they know. They monitor phones, computers, internet, your internet messaging, the door passes. its crazy.

@r-ice,
    And to think, You sent me job postings from that place. I can’t work like that. But then again look who your employer is. LOL

what can i say the money is good, sometimes you gotta just take the bitter with the sweet. I have no regrets, it gives me time to do all the woodworking and upgrades to the house.

In my experience, just because they CAN monitor, does not mean they usually bother. Its rarely worth the cost to do so. Any company worried about the efficiency of their staff is not going to throw away another persons salary by having an overseer watching what you do. Usually, its just the ability (both legal and technical) that allows them to pop in if they are already looking for an excuse to cut a problem employee loose.

But I don’t know your employer.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

yah they monitor everything at my office, you sneeze and they know. They monitor phones, computers, internet, your internet messaging, the door passes. its crazy.

@r-ice,
    And to think, You sent me job postings from that place. I can’t work like that. But then again look who your employer is. LOL

what can i say the money is good, sometimes you gotta just take the bitter with the sweet. I have no regrets, it gives me time to do all the woodworking and upgrades to the house.

In my experience, just because they CAN monitor, does not mean they usually bother. Its rarely worth the cost to do so. Any company worried about the efficiency of their staff is not going to throw away another persons salary by having an overseer watching what you do. Usually, its just the ability (both legal and technical) that allows them to pop in if they are already looking for an excuse to cut a problem employee loose.

But I don’t know your employer.

lets put it this way, yes they do and they do. i’ll leave it at that.
    I am happy working there and under the constraints of the system. I just want to do this job and go home where i can really enjoy my woodworking and renovating either my house or someone else’s.

Rob
    Pro
    Birmingham, Alabama

I am writing a series of e-books and books for small business owners and will be consulting with the same group.
    I want to help with the hundreds of small decisions that they make every day so that their businesses run more smoothly.
    And………. use my experiences to help them maximize their profits.

43 years ago when I had just started the company, I remember one night praying desperately for God to “give me answers about running the business” and then I heard myself pray…” If you don’t want to send someone to help me, then let me learn the answers so that one day I can help other guys succeed.

So now, it’s time to do that.
    Thanks for asking.

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

I am writing a series of e-books and books for small business owners and will be consulting with the same group.
    I want to help with the hundreds of small decisions that they make every day so that their businesses run more smoothly.

43 years ago when I had just started the company, I remember one night praying desperately for God to “give me answers about running the business” and then I heard myself pray…” If you don’t want to send someone to help me, then let me learn the answers so that one day I can help other guys succeed.

Thanks for asking.

That’s awesome Rob. This is a tough business and there aren’t many successful contractors willing to share how they got there.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

I agree thats great Rob. I always talk shop with older guys in the business that I feel are successful. Sometimes its just the reinforcement that your on the right track that helps. We or I should say I have found myself wandering away from what I believe in during tough times.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

Very cool Rob! I hope those getting your help and advise realize what a benefit that is. It is much better to learn from others mistakes than from your own…just not as easy to do that.

I would gladly give others in the industry advise on pricing and true operating costs of a business, competition or not. It just helps the industry as a whole when guys know how to properly estimate and charge for their services.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Warren6810
    Pro
    Akron, OH

Thanks for asking.

Sounds like God answered you in a big way. Thanks for paying it forward.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Wow, Rob, that is such a great way to share your experience. Your work will be accessible to so many who will benefit from it.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

wolfe4u
    Pro

I have a friend working in the roofing industry and he is pretty happy with his job and he had never seen unhappy for his work. In my perspective it all depends on the people, work is just the second factor. He is working as a commercial roofing contractor at Empire Roofing http://www.empireroofingcorporation.com/commercial-roofing-service/ for the past 5 years.

I have a friend working in the roofing industry and he is pretty happy with his job and he had never seen unhappy for his work. In my perspective it all depends on the people, work is just the second factor. He is working as a commercial roofing contractor at Empire Roofing http://www.empireroofingcorporation.com/commercial-roofing-service/ for the past 5 years.

How come you promoting his company .

Always willing to learn .

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

Studied mining engineering, but couldn’t handle sitting at a desk drawing plans so I took up carpentry.

Now I’m a semi-self employed framer, doing mainly residential, but some commercial. I do of course dabble into renovations to pass the time but I really prefer sticking to the new construction stuff.

Clev08
    Pro

Studied mining engineering, but couldn’t handle sitting at a desk drawing plans so I took up carpentry.

Now I’m a semi-self employed framer, doing mainly residential, but some commercial. I do of course dabble into renovations to pass the time but I really prefer sticking to the new construction stuff.

You avoid a lot of unknowns doing new construction, you never know what you will find behind a wall of an old home.

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

You avoid a lot of unknowns doing new construction, you never know what you will find behind a wall of an old home.

Oh trust me, with the plans I’m given there are still PLENTY of unknowns… like how you frame a nickle tower entrance with a hip roof and matching cathedral ceiling. Called the engineer on that one and he said “No idea, I just draw stuff – its up to you to figure out how to build it!”

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

In light of passing the 10,000 member mark, I thought I’d bring this thread back.

Sometimes it’s unclear who does what, and I think if things were a bit more transparent it would be easier to approach specific members with trade specific questions….so what do you do? How do you pay the bills?

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

commercial carpenter. no specialty, since as an in-house hospital carpenter I do absolutely every aspect of commercial carpentry and a lot of non-carpentry work as well. previous career was a house framer, so I’m still well-versed in that and do a lot of residential side work

Warren6810
    Pro
    Akron, OH

Oh trust me, with the plans I’m given there are still PLENTY of unknowns… like how you frame a nickle tower entrance with a hip roof and matching cathedral ceiling. Called the engineer on that one and he said “No idea, I just draw stuff – its up to you to figure out how to build it!”

That rings so true for me. We do some real doozies. I have questioned an architect before on a detail and was told, “it didn’t even work out on paper”

Oh great, thanks for that!! I get to play carpenter/GC/engineer/architect/designer on a daily basis it seems.

I hear ya @warren6810! Many times we have to solve plenty of issues in the field on the fly…sometimes I think people must think we are magicians! Lol!

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Besides the little stint in march this thread was active before I was a member here. I pretty much do it all when it comes to residential. I work for a GC doing the highest end work you can get. Most projects I am on start to finish filling in the gaps and helping move the projects along and when trim stage starts I do a lot of it.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I have framed homes for years and years and now do lot of trim work. I have done all phases of home building and lots of commercial work as well.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

teskopk
    Pro
    Calgary, AB

I’m a Journeyman Machinist. I work at a medium sized steel plant, where we make forged steel products for the Transportation and Agriculture industries. We make all of our tooling in house, most of our equipment, and maintain it all. From that I have a lot of experience in the sort of maintenance/job shop work that most Machine shops see, and plenty of Tool and Die experience as well.

CNC & Conventional, Turning, Milling, Surface grinding, Heat treating, and the rare bit of welding. I also like to play around with casting aluminum, and a bit of knife making.

Eventually I plan to build up my casting equipment, make some dies for casting, as well as patterns for sand casting. Those kind of projects have to wait for better days, the manufacturing industry is a bit slow right now, so quirky stuff goes to the bottom of the list.

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 143 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.454 seconds