dcsimg

What is your trade/ specialty?

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 143 total)
  • Author

Does anyone regret that they went the trade route over a state or government job after college . For better benefits , packages and less damage on the body .

Absolutely not. I’d rather dig ditches or pick up garbage all over the city than to be tied to a chair in a closed up space all day. If I keep moving and get fresh air every day I feel good and healthy. When my shoulder blades or lower back hurts, just do extra workouts to loosen up.

Hell, I work in an office, and you could never pay me enough to work public sector office work…

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Does anyone regret that they went the trade route over a state or government job after college . For better benefits , packages and less damage on the body .

Had I gone to college I don’t think I’d be a carpenter. I never had money for high school so college was a no way.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

Nope. I have done the office gig in the past and do not care for it. Yes, construction has beat me and hasn’t paid as well as a government job but I get to go to work everyday and do something I enjoy. Not many can say that. I enjoy the atmosphere of the trades and (no offense meant) I prefer the demeanor and attitudes of fellow tradespeople over that of many cube dwellers.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

BeardedCarpenter
    Pro
    Winsted, CT

I didn’t have a government job, but I did have an office job. And I chose to leave it to swing a hammer and cut boards. I don’t want to judge anyone or unfairly generalize, but I don’t think there are too many office/corporate type jobs that provide any real sense of accomplishment, pride, or satisfaction in a job well done. There are some I suppose, and different people see things differently. But you never hear a desk-jockey referred to as a “craftsman.”

Just think about this website. We work all day at various trades and various aspects of our trade, then we come home and log on to BTP to talk about it. We talk about our jobs, our tools, our projects. We must enjoy them, or else we wouldn’t be here. Do people who work in call centers go home, get online, and discuss telephones in community with other call center workers? Doubtful. Do tradesmen work all day, come home, get online, and discuss saws, drills, sanders, and nail sets in community with other tradesmen? Yes. The truth is that we like, even love, our jobs.

yellaD
    Pro

I didn’t have a government job, but I did have an office job. And I chose to leave it to swing a hammer and cut boards. I don’t want to judge anyone or unfairly generalize, but I don’t think there are too many office/corporate type jobs that provide any real sense of accomplishment, pride, or satisfaction in a job well done. There are some I suppose, and different people see things differently. But you never hear a desk-jockey referred to as a “craftsman.”

Just think about this website. We work all day at various trades and various aspects of our trade, then we come home and log on to BTP to talk about it. We talk about our jobs, our tools, our projects. We must enjoy them, or else we wouldn’t be here. Do people who work in call centers go home, get online, and discuss telephones in community with other call center workers? Doubtful. Do tradesmen work all day, come home, get online, and discuss saws, drills, sanders, and nail sets in community with other tradesmen? Yes. The truth is that we like, even love, our jobs.

The Truth. Amen.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I certainly enjoy what I do…no desk jobs in my future! Well said Michael!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I certainly enjoy what I do…no desk jobs in my future!

Me too. I really enjoy most of what I do. Don’t want to sit behind a desk again.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Me too. I really enjoy most of what I do. Don’t want to sit behind a desk again.

I find myself getting stir crazy when I’m stuck on one job for too long and I don’t have much variety. I really like being able to move around and do several different things at once.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Had I gone to college I don’t think I’d be a carpenter. I never had money for high school so college was a no way.

If I had gone to college instead of taken the cash money I was making at construction . I would of been almost ready for retirement from the police force after 20 years . I said screw college I’m making bank .
    Boy was I a dumbass . Could of did my business on the side or went full blow construction after retirement .

Absolutely not. I’d rather dig ditches or pick up garbage all over the city than to be tied to a chair in a closed up space all day. If I keep moving and get fresh air every day I feel good and healthy. When my shoulder blades or lower back hurts, just do extra workouts to loosen up.

Hell, I work in an office, and you could never pay me enough to work public sector office work…

Could be cop ,fireman ,sanitation not just a office desk job .

Always willing to learn .

Was a member of a volunteer rescue unit attached to the fire dept. then became a private paramedic

Was not for me. I like some office work, but Im not in a cube farm. I have a door and real responsibilities

@BeardedCarpenter
    Well said.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

If I had gone to college instead of taken the cash money I was making at construction . I would of been almost ready for retirement from the police force after 20 years . I said screw college I’m making bank .
    Boy was I a dumbass . Could of did my business on the side or went full blow construction after retirement .

see i agree with this, work smart and you reap the benefits. You can still do everything on the side, heck i know firemen who work their allotted time and on the side have all sorts of businesses. so they get all the need out of their main job like benefits, pension and stability to weather the low times and on the days off truly do what they want.

see i agree with this, work smart and you reap the benefits. You can still do everything on the side, heck i know firemen who work their allotted time and on the side have all sorts of businesses. so they get all the need out of their main job like benefits, pension and stability to weather the low times and on the days off truly do what they want.

Well that’s something I was doing, finished work at 2:30 got to the clients house at 3:00 and would work till about 7 pm 4 days a week, then do 8 hours on the weekend, was tuff, but man the money was good, and kept me in shape. Since my daughter was born, I stopped that for a while.
    Miss working in the construction trade though,
    But yeah it is possible,

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Well said..

Hope by boss never finds out about this site. LOL

I’m at the point that my job is mundane, boring at times and stale. There is no room for advancement here. Come review time I always add in that I want my bosses job. But that will never happen.
    I’m at an age where I’m better off just staying put till retirement time (maybe 10 years)
    I don’t go home and jump on IT forums, Funny how that works.

I never had a Gov job, so can’t comment on that.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

redwood
    Pro

well I certainly wish I had the pension and health benefits. For the most part though, I really enjoyed what I did. I do kinda wish that I could go back and do somethings differently though. But it is what it is.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

well I certainly wish I had the pension and health benefits. For the most part though, I really enjoyed what I did. I do kinda wish that I could go back and do somethings differently though. But it is what it is.

Yeah, pension and benefits would be nice…can’t have it all I guess.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I have worked for fire chiefs that were GC and did all kinds of work.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Doobie

Hope by boss never finds out about this site. LOL

Careful Frank. Companies do that sort of thing. 😮

The_Grizz
    Pro
    Rome, GA

I don’t really have a trade/specialty! I work for a small GC, and do side jobs here and there. For the GC I am a lead, so I run some of our smaller jobs like small bath renovations. We also install for Lowe’s, and I handle appliance installs and blind installs, as well as the odd storm door here and there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

woodman_412

I’m primarily custom cabinets and finish carpentry. I used to build some furniture but with not much of a market around here that doesn’t pay the bills. I’ll take on lots of different kinds of jobs like siding, renos, framing etc but I try and avoid drywall and taping if at all possible. I don’t touch plumbing or electrical either. Working in the shop is where I’m usually happiest.

I completely agree. I worked as an architectural technologist for 6 years and while I enjoyed a lot of parts of it I couldn’t take working in an office anymore. It got to the point where when I would go out to do a site visit or inspection I wanted to stay on site and work with the guys rather than go back to the office. I knew it was time to get out of it when I started going stir crazy from sitting at a desk. Everything I learned working in that field though has carried thought and served me well in what I do now from building science to being able to draw up and coordinate plans and details.

Dan

danpattison.com

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 143 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.710 seconds