dcsimg

What is your trade/ specialty?

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 143 total)
  • Author
    BeardedCarpenter
    Pro
    Winsted, CT

I would consider myself primarily a carpenter. I work for a small company and we do all sorts of work ranging from small to large. I’ve done framing, remodeling, roofing, siding, windows, painting, some drywall, hardwood floors, decks, and similar related jobs. I don’t do much trim because I simply don’t have the experience, the other guys on the crew do most of that. I’ll learn it eventually, but I’ve got a long way to go.

Since I work for someone, I don’t get to choose what I don’t want to do. But we don’t do much electrical work or plumbing.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

i do renovations/ additions plus the odd custom new home build and occasional commercial reno. icf foundations, wood framing, decks and siding while specializing in interior trim and custom built ins

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

What ever happened to @BrokenGlass, @Siberian?

B. O. T.
    I’m a carpenter, trying to focus on remodeling lately.
    Background in modular camp set ups, light commercial construction. Non practicing horticulturist and former landscape installer.

last year we gutted a house and redid everything except the drywall ( I do it, but am slow), time frame wouldn’t allow it. Then over the summer we helped do a roof for a friend. Outside of that he is working on grades, girls, and learning code for/on computers on his free times.

did residential framing for 5 years then joined the carpenter’s union last year. current union gig is as an in-house carpenter at a hospital where we do everything including demo, framing(metal studs), hang and finish drywall, drop ceilings, cabinets, countertops, cove base, vct flooring, carpet tile, acrovyn wall covering, and concrete work

Good topic! I have been in construction since I was a kid. My dad is a carpenter.

I am part owner in a small custom building and remodeling company. We do a lot of the work ourselves. We frame, do exterior siding and trim and then do interior trim and cabinetry. We also do quite a few kitchen and bath remodels each year.

I really like tile shower, cabintery, and finish trim projects. I also really enjoy concrete surfaces like countertops, vanities, shower features etc.

I do not do roofing or exterior concrete like drives and sidewalks. Don’t enjoy either.

For our new homes HVAC, Electrical, Plumbing, Insualtion, Drywall, Painting, and Masonry is subbed out.

For our remodels we do 90% of everything in house.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Have been working in the aircraft simulation for 30 plus years now,
    Started out pumpkin gas at an esso, then helped out the mechanics,
    Then went into a shipping receiving job for a garage door company for 5 years, did many jobs their, then got in the company I work at presently, started out as a material handling mover, drove forklift and cranes, used all sorts of material handling equipment, studied at night for my Deck in aircraft fabrication and production, also worked for myself doing renos, demo, basements, bathrooms / kitchens, done a couple of decks, painting, trim work, pretty much everything, just no roofs or foundations.
    Used to work 70 plus hours a week for years,
    Now I’m building detection heads for the militarily aircraft,
    Since our daughter was born, I slowed down on the sideline renovation business.

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

Good topic! I have been in construction since I was a kid. My dad is a carpenter.

Mine too, long line of wood workers on my dad’s side of the family. Me, my dad and a couple of his brothers, my grandfather and great grandfather were blacksmiths/carpenters/wagonmakers, and from what I have been told blacksmithing and wagonmaking went back several more generations.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Mine too, long line of wood workers on my dad’s side of the family. Me, my dad and a couple of his brothers, my grandfather and great grandfather were blacksmiths/carpenters/wagonmakers, and from what I have been told blacksmithing and wagonmaking went back several more generations.

That’s awesome! My grandfather was a woodworker before his health started to decline. I can’t say that I learned much from him though because he really slowed down when I was too young to be in the shop. Since then, we haven’t had much of a relationship unfortunately. I would have loved to have learned from him though.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I really didn’t learn anything from any type of family.
    The first guy I worked for at 14 or 15 taut me what I first learned.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Now that you guys brought it up it also brought back some memories for me. When I was a young boy, my brother and I helped my Dad finish the inside of the cottage. We hung the drywall, did the flooring and trim. Helped make the crib by the shore. Great memories, thanks.

A Working Pro since 2004

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Learned most of my trade early working in gas stations and garages when I was in high school

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

@DirtyWhiteBoy,
    You were a good listener, I enjoy following the quality work you do.

My dad would drag me along to the neighbourhood “Cantina Build” Back 40+ years ago all the Portuguese families would get together on a weekend and tear out the wooden porch and build a Cantina. No city inspectors driving around on the weekends back then. No one ever got permits.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

@DirtyWhiteBoy,

My dad would drag me along to the neighbourhood “Cantina Build” Back 40+ years ago all the Portuguese families would get together on a weekend and tear out the wooden porch and build a Cantina. No city inspectors driving around on the weekends back then. No one ever got permits.

do they not do cantina builds anymore? aren’t the cantinas usually in the basement, its a cold room for food right?

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

do they not do cantina builds anymore? aren’t the cantinas usually in the basement, its a cold room for food right?

These days with inspectors driving around on the weekends, I doubt people build them, after the fact.

It is usually the room right under the front porch and only a man door from the basement leading to a full block room. Cold room for food, seeds, root plants and wine.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

@58Chev you are right Frank,
    @DirtyWhiteBoy,

I think you either have it in you or you don’t
    I mean you can teach people the trade work, but they have to like it also

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I have heard it said that when we listen, we forget. When we do, we remember, but when we teach, we understand.

There’s a whole lot of teaching going on in this site.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

I started building custom cabinets back in 93. Prior to that I managed bicycle shops for a living.
    I did the cabinet thing for 18 years. When things slowed down a few years back I started doing a few trim jobs to help meet ends. That was what turned into my full time gig. I still prefer trim and finish work. But been doing it all lately.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

yellaD
    Pro

Would love to combine visual art, furniture building into something that at least pays for itself. I work in the hardware dept at bb store.

bethepro
    Keymaster
    Mt Prospect, IL

Man, what a collection of trades we have here. I bet BTP “members only” could build one hell of a house.

I was a residential painting contractor for 10 years, running about 40 guys in a territory that included a good number of historically significant homes. Then we shifted to commercial and also opened up a nationwide collegiate painting outfit. I got out of of contracting in the 90’s and got into online marketing and have been there ever since. I marvel at the knowledge that gets shared here everyday. Thanks to everyone who shares their expertise. That is what makes BTP a unique forum online.

Email us at bethepro@bethepro.com

redwood
    Pro

I’m retired now, dabbling in woodworking.

I started in a lumberyard in HS, got hired by a carpenter that did tract fencing on the side. Went to college, got a civil engineering degree. No jobs in Calif. at that time, so I started my business.

40 years as a carpentry contractor, specializing in decking, siding, and pergolas. For about 8 years we were subs to a paper general contractor doing commercial work. Essentially we were his employees. Did a lot of TI work and restaurant work during that period. His son signed a huge baseball contract and he retired to manage his son’s finances, so I was back on my own full time.

Over the years, we did a lot besides carpentry. I’m pretty proficient at tile, drywall, concrete and flooring. I can paint too, but I avoid it if I can. My lead guy had a electrical background, so he handled electrical and plumbing and I stayed out of the way if I could.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 143 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.604 seconds