dcsimg

What is your main business ?

This topic contains 16 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  marioo 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

JerrySats
    Pro
    Swedesboro, New Jersey

I was wondering what most of you guys / girls do in the trades and how you go about attracting new customers ? I’m a cabinet/ furniture maker along with finish work and mostly get my business from referrals but I need to find some new ones.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Our main business is housing, new construction and remodels. We also perform some commercial projects. Those are our main areas of focus, but we also do trucking, land development and have some rental properties. It all keeps us hopping.

Most of our business comes from referrals and word of mouth. we do get some business from realtors we work with also.

xtsallad
    Pro
    Dallas, TX

For me it’s about 10 different hustles at once to survive and my main one is whichever one is bringing me work at any given time. My best job title brings me the least amount of income and my most humble title brings me the most money. The better titles give more legitimacy and more clients to the humble titles. It’s quite a paradoxical dilemma. Anything to keep from getting a real job… lol

Since I have a pretty broad spectrum of work I usually refer to the majority as Fine Art Services and it encompasses pretty much anything anyone will pay me to do. I do anything from art consultation to patching concrete floors. It’s a pretty niche field and my best clients are mostly small museums that either don’t have preparations staff or hire additional exhibitions contractors like me. Then there are also individuals or art collectors who have massive collections. My Clint list is pretty small but word of mouth has always been best for me. It does take time. I’m very active in social circles related to arts so that has helped the word of mouth be very efficient. For someone doing what I do and starting out I would suggest donating services for a few charitable events as this will get your logo or name placed as a sponsor in promotional locations such as host and producer websites, email invites, printed programs and press releases.

j

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

My main business is framing. 75% of my work comes from a big developer in town who I sub for, and the other 25% is referral. I don’t advertise, but I give customers extra business cards, along with pens and whatnot to help them do my advertising for me.

Word of mouth is the best thing IMO. When I used to advertise, I would probably pick up 1 out of 5 jobs that I would look at. I found that most of the people that would contact from adds were not the kind of customers I wanted. Now that I have a good list of clients who I want to work for, I let them advertise for me to their friends. Not only does it save me money, but I know I’m far more likely to be getting the job, since they have seen my work and wouldn’t be calling if it wasn’t their cup of tea.

rerun_1965
    Pro
    holladay, TN

owner operator truckdriver before that I formed poured and finished concrete

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I’m a carpenter in the most general sense of the word. I build stuff…ranging from furniture to walls.

If I had the luxury of limiting that scope, I’d build furniture all day every day. It offers the kind of precision that I like to strive for in other areas (most of the time its overkill in those areas).

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Word of mouth is the best thing

I agree Word of mouth is the best thing. I would rather hire somebody knowing that somebody else was happy with work.

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

Rob
    Pro
    Birmingham, Alabama

I did home Design and Remodeling for 45 years. Now I work with companies as a consultant to help them succeed. We got our work through decorators (5) first, then word of mouth. We spent a thousand on each yard sign and started doing a talk radio show on Saturdays. Then we produced our own magazine and had 11k subscribers. We wrote articles for a local magazine for several years, all of this created the brand and led to more and more jobs. Donating to charities was also good for us and we met and helped some great folks. Join an Association or service club… meet other people…give some time to causes you believe in…help out at a boys club or save the whales – just do something for someone else, your life will be richer for it.

JerrySats
    Pro
    Swedesboro, New Jersey

Join an Association or service club… meet other people…give some time to causes you believe in…help out at a boys club or save the whales – just do something for someone else, your life will be richer for it.

Everyone thanks for the good advice keep it coming .

Thats exactly what I am doing now , helping local community groups , if something work wise comes of it great if not that’s fine too because I feel better knowing I’m helping out .

marioo
    Pro

I’m a blood spatter analyst. It’s quite a fulfilling job, but I still have my hobbies on the side.. think that’s really important.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I’m a blood spatter analyst.

Altho I bleed a lot and even some spatter some I don’t analyze it.I just try to get it to stop and keep working.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Warren6810
    Pro
    Akron, OH

Ours has morphed a bit in the last 15 years. For our first 10 years, we did almost exclusively new construction framing. We started doing some demo/framing of large remodels in 2005, and that is about half of our business currently. Still get to do 1 or 2 frames a year, along with some insurance work sprinkled in.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Altho I bleed a lot and even some spatter some I don’t analyze it.I just try to get it to stop and keep working.

Yep a paper towel and some masking tape and back at it.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I’m a blood spatter analyst. It’s quite a fulfilling job, but I still have my hobbies on the side.. think that’s really important.

Wow, that is an interesting line of work; I definitely agree on hobbies being a requirement.

Will

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Geeze that’s not the typical 9to 5
    Definitely must be interesting to link all the possibilities

I’m a aircraft technician
    I build mechanical assemblies and the aircraft cockpit flight controls
    I also had my sideline in renovations

Had to slow down on the hours if I wanted to have a little family

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I am presently a factory worker. I am blender operator in a food factory. I worked in 2 other factory. The one factory was a interesting job making parts for cars & trucks plus some of the cool stuff we made.

Hobbies are important!

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

marioo
    Pro

Geeze that’s not the typical 9to 5
    Definitely must be interesting to link all the possibilities

I’m a aircraft technician
    I build mechanical assemblies and the aircraft cockpit flight controls
    I also had my sideline in renovations

Had to slow down on the hours if I wanted to have a little family

Yes its, a quite interesting Job.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.472 seconds