dcsimg

What is your compressor recommendation.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 120 total)
  • Author
    MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

I really like my Senco PC0968. I also don’t probably put it through its paces like some people on here, but for a shop machine it does the trick.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Dewalt / Emglo 4 gallon – Extremely loud, very poor in cold weather.d valves and regulator freeze up easily and it is a cold start. without heat on the notor and valves, it is no good in cold weather

I have this one and it love it here in the subtropics.

emglo/ dewalt.. yah junk

Mines be going for about ten years now

Probably had mine at least that long, but it only a summer compressor or a shop machine. mine is not a cold weather unit. You are fortunate not to have to deal with the weather extremes we do. other than the noise, it works fine in warm weather

I just replaced the check valve, pressure switch and head gasket.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

I have been through a lot of compressors. I would generally go for the cheaper ones, and then just buy another when they wear out. I have owned as many as 8 at one time. My best, which is still running, is my Craftsman Professional twin cylinder. It is about 10 years old and been fixed a few times, but it is currently our go to for large frames. Unfortunately, most parts are no longer available, so I will have to let her go the next time a main component goes.

If it went out tomorrow, I would likely look to a Cali air or Rolair, as they seem to give a decent bang for the buck.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

my personal compressor is the hitachi, but the company ive been with for 9 years has 4 rol airs.. you pretty much have to plug into a 20 amp breaker with them.. if they dont start up full tilt immediately they will trip…

we do not even use them on an extension cord, I have my guys plug the compressor right into the temp power panel. most compressors pull to many amps to have them on a cord unless it is at least a 10 gauge.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

For the shop I have a Ingersoll Rand Garage Mate 20gal, 2 HP, Vertical, 5.5 CFM.
    For the job site, 4gal twin stack porter cable, but that piece is heavy as fu##.
    Might gonna grab this one here one day -> Ingersoll Rand Twin-Stack Portable Electric Air Compressor — 2 HP, 4-Gallon, 4.3 CFM, Model# P1IU-A9
    Definitely less weight than my Porter Cable.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

we do not even use them on an extension cord,

Mine will not run off a extension cord. It will trip the breaker every time unless it’s a short 20 foot cord.

Dirty

Doobie

we do not even use them on an extension cord,

Mine will not run off a extension cord. It will trip the breaker every time unless it’s a short 20 foot cord.

A good reason I tend to install some 20A recepticles and breakers in shop/work areas. You pay a bit more, but less tripping issues.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

On compressors it is better to use more air hose and keep the extension cord as short as possible. Plus with more air hose you can put the compressor farther away and cut down on noise.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

On compressors it is better to use more air hose and keep the extension cord as short as possible. Plus with more air hose you can put the compressor farther away and cut down on noise.

If the hoses get to long, an air tank up close to the work area will help a lot with pressure and air capacity

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

If the hoses get to long, an air tank up close to the work area will help a lot with pressure and air capacity

I have a FAT lead hose just for that reason.

Dirty

I definitely try not to use any extension cords,
    I have been happy with my cheaper king Canada compressors, and if they fail, doesn’t hurt the pocket to much, but actually they have been pretty reliable,
    But I have been using another contractors Makita at the riding arena build, I can honestly say, it’s been remarkably quite.
    And they are reliable to.

Doobie

Wjat’s a FAT lead hose? Never heard of it.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I do for another compressor. The one I have has a leak somewhere. I need to look at. I thought about checking out a Pawn Shop for a used compressor. Not sure if it is good idea.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Exactly. An air hose acts just like an extension cord; the longer it is, the larger diameter it must be to maintain pressure under load. A large diameter hose leading to the job, then step down to a smaller, lighter hose to the tool.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I was responding to Kurt saying about the long hose and the air pressure will be reduced. So with a FAT lead hose that lets more air get to the gun.

Dirty

I do for another compressor. The one I have has a leak somewhere. I need to look at. I thought about checking out a Pawn Shop for a used compressor. Not sure if it is good idea.

It all depends on what and how you will be using it, is it for framing, or just finishing, will you use it with a air impact to remove lug nuts, air tools / drill and grinders,
    Do you want oil or oil less?
    Are you looking for portable or will it be fixed in your garage / shop?

Doobie

I was responding to Kurt saying about the long hose and the air pressure will be reduced. So with a FAT lead hose that lets more air get to the gun.

I thought when you capitalized FAT, it was a brand or hose format I’d never heard of. OK, I see what you were referring to, simply having a hose with a ‘FATter’ inside diameter to mitigate air pressure loss over distance.

Speaking of air hoses, I have an old red rubber air hose I first got 20 years ago. I never use it anymore, but was wondering whether anybody on job sites still prefers those old thick and stiff old rubber hoses?

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I thought about checking out a Pawn Shop for a used compressor. Not sure if it is good idea.

That can be risky. What is the budget for a new compressor? Maybe the guys can give you some recommendations if we know what the budget is.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

It all depends on what and how you will be using it, is it for framing, or just finishing, will you use it with a air impact to remove lug nuts, air tools / drill and grinders,
    Do you want oil or oil less?
    Are you looking for portable or will it be fixed in your garage / shop?

Those are all good questions. The compressor I have now does hardly run airs. Air Tools came with when I bought. I don’t have a garage. So I don’t need a big compressor yet. So I think I might get portable one to use in my basement shop. That way as long aa my old works I will leave it in my shed. I would used it blowing up tires and kids balls etc. It run framing nailer. I do have framing nailer.

I thought about checking out a Pawn Shop for a used compressor. Not sure if it is good idea.

That can be risky. What is the budget for a new compressor? Maybe the guys can give you some recommendations if we know what the budget is.

Yeah I sure could be risky. I guess my budget would be around $300.00.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I thought when you capitalized FAT, it was a brand or hose format I’d never heard of. OK, I see what you were referring to, simply having a hose with a ‘FATter’ inside diameter to mitigate air pressure loss over distance.

Speaking of air hoses, I have an old red rubber air hose I first got 20 years ago. I never use it anymore, but was wondering whether anybody on job sites still prefers those old thick and stiff old rubber hoses?

i have 3 0r 4 of them hanging in my shop that have not been touched in 10 years. I should just throw them as I never really see them on jobs.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 120 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.510 seconds