dcsimg

What is your compressor recommendation.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 120 total)
  • Author
    kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

the last couple of years I have had bad luck with compressors. Curious to hear what others experiences and recommendations are. we use our compressors for framing and trim work but they need to be portable and durable. My experience is as follows

Dewalt / Emglo 4 gallon – Extremely loud, very poor in cold weather.d valves and regulator freeze up easily and it is a cold start. without heat on the notor and valves, it is no good in cold weather

Hitachi 4 gallon twin tank – since it was relatively new, it has blown oil out the oil vent and blows the reservoir empty. It does this sporadically. today it blew out so much oil that it began smoking.

Hitachi pancake – Pressure regulator went bad and it was as much as the compressor cost to fix. I ended up reguilding the manifold with off the shelf parts but then the connecting rod on the piston broke.

Rol Air – The reset keeps tripping and I have it in for repairs but they can not find anything wrong with it. With the reset problem it is no good on the job.

Rigid twin tank – compressor keeps blowing breakers in warm or cold weather. Never performed as it should

Makita twin tank – This was not a bad compressor quiet but the weld on the connection between the tanks cracked.

Cambell Hausfield – Cheap compressor , I got what I paid for. loud and died prematurely.

California Air Tools – Quiet but low air output which is how they keep the sound down. This has been a shop compressor so it has not been exposed to the cold and is fairly new so the jury is still out. due tot he low air output, it is not good for framing.

Bosch – I bought one of the Bosch compressors when they were making them. The compressor works well in warm weather but is cold blooded and does not work well in cold weather. It has been relegated to a shop compressor and needs to be in a warm place.

Emglo (original Company) This was a twin tank stack that gave up the ghost last year after about 25 years. Best compressor I ever owned I framed a lot of houses with this one and can honestly say I got more than my money’s worth from it. Dewalt bought Emglo in 2000 and took all the quality out of them in my opinion. I see the Emglo is being sold again by Jenny company bit I am skeptical that the new compressors have the same quality as the old.

Curious to hear others experiences and recommendations. We cannot avoid working in the cold so that is a key figure in a compressor. We have tried oil and oilless uits and do not find one works significantly better than the other.

Doobie

Gotta say, while I don’t put them to the rigours you probably do, I have four compressors and my favourite is my Rolair JLC10. It had one little problem early when I first bought it almost 8 or ten years ago with a known issue which was a faulty release valve, but they took care of it no problem. Other than that, it’s been a great little unit that has taken over for many tasks albeit not often in freezing cold conditions. For freezing applications, I’m not your best ambassador for any of them much although I’ve had my applications of such on occasion.

Which Rolair model is it that you have that is giving you the reset problem? Did it go back to Rolair, or did you just bring it to any local air tool repair shop? Rolair themselves seem to be very customer service orientated in my experience and what I’ve read others say on social media/forums.

I’d love to get this new Rolair model I posted also in another thread tonite that is coming out in early 2018 apparemtly that is built inside of a #4 Systainer. I’ve seen guys do homemade Systainered compressor setups, but never by a manufacturer. Not sure though if this is farmed out by Rolair instead or maybe a third party undertaking. It’s very new news I believe and there’s little info on it other than Toolnut is taking pre-orders at $475 USD a pop. I hate movin around compressors and having a system boxed enclosed unit would be so sweet, especially with a reputable air compressor brand inside.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I have the 1 gal. ,4.6 gal. , and the 10 gal. California Air compressors and have had no problems at all. I like how quiet they are , the light weight, and fast air build up.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I have the Makita mac2400 twin stack and the new Rolair JC10PLUS. Both have been great. I reserve the Makita for framing and the Rolair for everything else.

How heavily are you using your compressor? Seems like you’ve been through a ton of them!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

xtsallad
    Pro
    Dallas, TX

From your experiences with all of those compressors it sounds like another makita twin tank would be the best bet.

j

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

I have a 1 gallon Dewalt for trimming and a 4 gallon Bostitch for heavier work. Both for about 6 years. No problems so far.

bethepro
    Keymaster
    Mt Prospect, IL

Great discussion. Thanks for the rundown Kurt

Cheers

Jim

Email us at bethepro@bethepro.com

Masterbosch
    Pro
    Wayne, NJ

I have the both Bosch compressors and I never had a cold start problem. Maybe I am using quality oil compressor oil which is purple stuff. It starts right up on mines. Never had a problem blowing a fuse also so I don’t know where did you get your resource @kurt@welkershome.com

plusoneconstructionllc@gmail.com

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Which Rolair model is it that you have that is giving you the reset problem? Did it go back to Rolair, or did you just bring it to any local air tool repair shop? Rolair themselves seem to be very customer service orientated in my experience and what I’ve read others say on social media/forums.

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”578″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZOOH8x2JGg0?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ gesture=”media” allow=”encrypted-media” allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

My compressor is the VT 20 TB. I took it to a tool service center that works on compressors and nail guns that I bought it from.

From your experiences with all of those compressors it sounds like another Makita twin tank would be the best bet.

I think that by be in the cards. The one I have has been out of commission for a while but it did work well Until the weld broke. I still have it around and should try to repair that one also.

JackR
    Pro

My California air tools compressor took a dump after about 1 year. Needed on in a hurry so I picked up a husky at the Home Depot. A little noisy but is working just fine.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I have the both Bosch compressors and I never had a cold start problem. Maybe I am using quality oil compressor oil which is purple stuff. It starts right up on mines. Never had a problem blowing a fuse also so I don’t know where did you get your resource @kurt@welkershome.com

The Bosch did not blow fuses just would not turn over in the cold. All my information is from personal experience with he compressors. Nothing scientific about the experiences, just actual observations with the equipment. I think the Oil in the Bosch is what was shipped with the compressor.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

hitachi.. i have the twin tank,, mine use to spit oil the simple fix is to wrap the plastic dipstick with teflon tape , it will create a tighter seal and you wont lose oil

rigid… its not made by rigid,, campbell hausfeld makes them, atleast the earlier models, not sure about the new low decibal model and cordless

emglo/ dewalt.. yah junk

rol-air.. tripping breakers.. open up the bleed valve when you start it,, the back pressure causes them to trip when you first start it up.. this also works for cold starts on other modles

makita.. only bad thing i hear about them is not in stock when you go to buy one.. find online then its back in stock at the store..

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

makita.. only bad thing i hear about them is not in stock when you go to buy one.. find online then its back in stock at the store..

Lets nots forget that the Makita weighs a ton too…something like 80lbs! They make a slightly larger unit with higher output that comes with wheels—but it is also quite a bit louder 

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Dewalt / Emglo 4 gallon – Extremely loud, very poor in cold weather.d valves and regulator freeze up easily and it is a cold start. without heat on the notor and valves, it is no good in cold weather

I have this one and it love it here in the subtropics.

emglo/ dewalt.. yah junk

Mines be going for about ten years now

Attachments:

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I have this one and it love it here in the subtropics.

emglo/ dewalt.. yah junk

Mines be going for about ten years now

Probably had mine at least that long, but it only a summer compressor or a shop machine. mine is not a cold weather unit. You are fortunate not to have to deal with the weather extremes we do. other than the noise, it works fine in warm weather

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

hitachi.. i have the twin tank,, mine use to spit oil the simple fix is to wrap the plastic dipstick with teflon tape , it will create a tighter seal and you wont lose oil

rigid… its not made by rigid,, campbell hausfeld makes them, atleast the earlier models, not sure about the new low decibal model and cordless

emglo/ dewalt.. yah junk

rol-air.. tripping breakers.. open up the bleed valve when you start it,, the back pressure causes them to trip when you first start it up.. this also works for cold starts on other modles

The Rol-air trips the reset on each startup, not just the initial. when we try to use it we have to keep running back and forth to reset, which is not good for production

I have seriously been considering the makita again.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

I had a rolair gaser twin tank when we first started. Roofing. We ran 4 gun easily. The kick in trip was a hassle but solid unit lasted 15 yrs.

Did a electric Bostitch….sucked.

Running a single tank Dewalt. Can handle a call of guns no problem. I did have cold weather problems but overall, a reliable piece of equipment.

Just requested a Christmas California Air small compressor for little trim gigs. I hope it’s good

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

Doobie

tripping breakers.. open up the bleed valve when you start it,, the back pressure causes them to trip when you first start it up.. this also works for cold starts on other modles

Good tip…thanks!

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I had a rolair gaser twin tank when we first started. Roofing. We ran 4 gun easily. The kick in trip was a hassle but solid unit lasted 15 yrs.

Did a electric Bostitch….sucked.

Running a single tank Dewalt. Can handle a call of guns no problem. I did have cold weather problems but overall, a reliable piece of equipment.

Just requested a Christmas California Air small compressor for little trim gigs. I hope it’s good

I think you will like the California Air. I have had no problems with mine . I like the light weight and low noise. It will actually keep up with one framing nail gun.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

my personal compressor is the hitachi, but the company ive been with for 9 years has 4 rol airs.. you pretty much have to plug into a 20 amp breaker with them.. if they dont start up full tilt immediately they will trip…

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 120 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.500 seconds