dcsimg

What is your bargain manmade deck railing?

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Thanks for all the suggestions. I’ll start calling around for aluminum.

Here’s a deck that my husband just finished this past month in northern KY. Has alot of aluminum railing….price was right under $1500.00 including shipping. From hooverfence.com, and they ship all over.

that looks like a lot of rail for $1500, are you sure you are not missing a zero. if not, I really need to check our hoover fence

$1500 is a great price for the amount of railing. I will have to give Hoover Fence a call on my next deck.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Where do you guys go for a smaller amount of railing? for my front porch I will need railing, may need to put something in wood up for now till i get it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Where do you guys go for a smaller amount of railing? for my front porch I will need railing, may need to put something in wood up for now till i get it.

@r-ice
    , we’ve never purchased aluminum from anywhere else, or any other brand. We also build decks for a large home developer here….no part of the process other than just building cookie cutter decks to get the market homes past bank walk-thrus….their design center has chose some very flimsy, cheaper aluminum railing before and it hasn’t lasted. Hence, why my husband won’t use any other.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I have a local man that builds custom railings. Not cheap but does fantastic work.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Like this?

The cable will change color a bit over time as it collects pollen,grit, etc. and will need to be cleaned. The visibility is good and I think it’s less maintenance than glass. Spacing has to be less than 4″ to pass code as it can be moved a bit. I’m right at the limit here on what the inspector would pass but it’s also a low deck so they weren’t as likely to be picky as they would on a second or third story.

@EthanB
    …I remembered you posted this pic of the cable railing the other day…never have been able to get a customer to want the cable until now….have you ever installed the cable with aluminum posts? If so, can I get away with using the 1 piece trim, and install the fittings ourselves?

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

We tried some electric conduit the we sprayed with primer and paint and it’s what the HO wanted so what the hey…

Looks great in the picture! How well did the paint stick to the EMT?

We wiped them down with denatured alcohol and 2 years later they are doing fine.

I was back working at this house yesterday and inspected the railings and it’s been 3 years and they are fine and show no sign of rust.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Attachments:
    kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

TaraC wrote:

Thanks for all the suggestions. I’ll start calling around for aluminum.

@kurt
    @wlekerhomes.com..yes, my blunder. Only saw the 2nd page of the invoice from my phone. Add another $2154 to that $1500. Still, with what we’ve paid for some of the composite railing, it’s still a good deal.

@tarac it still seems like a good price. I will have to check them out

EthanB
    Pro
    South Kingstown, RI

@EthanB
    …I remembered you posted this pic of the cable railing the other day…never have been able to get a customer to want the cable until now….have you ever installed the cable with aluminum posts? If so, can I get away with using the 1 piece trim, and install the fittings ourselves?

I haven’t used it in anything but wood. I’m not sure what one piece trim is but I don’t see why you couldn’t do all the fittings yourself as long as you are able to drill all the way through each post. Lag fittings won’t work for obvious reasons. The only thing to keep a good eye on is that you won’t be able to have terminations for two sections on the same post unless you are willing to move your cables out of alignment.

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

Keep and eye open at your local big box stores. Occasionally, they may switch lines or be getting a newer rail. The outdated ones can be had on clearance at great discounts. A few years back, I got some nice Trex rail sets for about $20 section. Post sleeve, top/bottom rail, and spindles.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Keep and eye open at your local big box stores. Occasionally, they may switch lines or be getting a newer rail. The outdated ones can be had on clearance at great discounts. A few years back, I got some nice Trex rail sets for about $20 section. Post sleeve, top/bottom rail, and spindles.

@Warren5810….don’t know if it would be any benefit to you..but they will ship to you..the big L box store in Florence KY has got acces to a warehouse they can put their hands in with all Trex products…discounted prices. hard to find stuff if you ever needed to replace older Trex items.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@EthanB..thanks for the tip!

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I was back working at this house yesterday and inspected the railings and it’s been 3 years and they are fine and show no sign of rust.

Good news Dirty, looks like you prepped them just fine and the paint is holding up.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Yah i’ll have to keep an eye out, was even thinking of those acrylic or glass panel style ones.

i dont think you can beat fortress. fast easy install. finish. we just switched to there al13. that’s my go too model.
    basic model: pt post top/bot rails. alum spindles capped with 2×5 clear cedar.
    upgrade #1 alum fortress.
    upgrade #2 cedar post spost top/bot rail capped off with 5/4×6 mahog.
    upgrade #3 composite timbertek only.
    upgrade #4 privacy rails/walls

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Like this?

The cable will change color a bit over time as it collects pollen,grit, etc. and will need to be cleaned. The visibility is good and I think it’s less maintenance than glass. Spacing has to be less than 4″ to pass code as it can be moved a bit. I’m right at the limit here on what the inspector would pass but it’s also a low deck so they weren’t as likely to be picky as they would on a second or third story.

@EthanB

@ethanB
    where do you pick up the cables between the wood? I think i’ve settled on a wood railing but debating on how to do the spacing between the wood.

EthanB
    Pro
    South Kingstown, RI

@r-ice . I’m not sure what you mean by “pick up”.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

@r-ice . I’m not sure what you mean by “pick up”.

I was curious where you bought the cabling. Pickup was regional slang.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I think i’ve settled on a wood railing but debating on how to do the spacing between the wood.

Youu need to know your local code on that. Over here it’s 4″ or less. If your wondering how to get equal spaces between the post it’s just some math.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

EthanB
    Pro
    South Kingstown, RI

Ah, gotcha. We say “pick up” too but I thought you were referring to some design feature or something.

I can buy Feeney cable kits from three different local yards that stock it.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Ah, gotcha. We say “pick up” too but I thought you were referring to some design feature or something.

I can buy Feeney cable kits from three different local yards that stock it.

lol thats cool, I am going to have to see if I can find a place to purchase some, going to have to put up a railing as soon as the porch is done!!!

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.529 seconds