dcsimg

What is your bargain manmade deck railing?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    EthanB
    Pro
    South Kingstown, RI

My primary rail is Azek Premier Rail in white. They have some other nice colors but the cost of a the posts in the custom colors adds a LOT to the price as they don’t come in 4″. I’ve price Tam-rail several times, as I like the quality a lot, but it’s not much less.

Azek isn’t that pricey per section, $145 per 6′ or $185 per 8′(i think) and I can buy Veranda posts and trim to shave the price down a bit, but the labor is a fair bit. Each section takes a while to assemble.

What’s your favorite offering for an inexpensive synthetic rail, factoring in both cost of materials and labor.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

We tried some electric conduit the we sprayed with primer and paint and it’s what the HO wanted so what the hey…

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Attachments:
    r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Oh good, anyone got any good Canadian deck railings suggestions, when the front porch is done i’ll need some new railings lol. If i had a forge going i’d just make my own but unfortunately I don’t have access to one. Hmm perhaps I can just use square stock and weld, it’ll be a good welding learning project.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

We tried some electric conduit the we sprayed with primer and paint and it’s what the HO wanted so what the hey…

Looks great in the picture! How well did the paint stick to the EMT?

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Our entry non-wood handrail would be Certainteed’s Evernew vinyl railing. It goes together fairly quick, comes in white or clay and is pretty cheap. Definitely less than $200 a section.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Anonymous
    Inactive

American Aluminum Railing Systems. We sell quite a bit each season. Works well with the climate in Cinci..no rusting, or fading. We normally wrap the post with a Timbertech Radiance rail post sleeve to give it a more beefy look.

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

The railing is what really sets off the deck. I have when someone will spend the money for a nice composite deck, and wants to cheap out on the rails.

EthanB
    Pro
    South Kingstown, RI

That looks great, Tara. I was just looking at a new aluminum railing that HD is stocking and thinking to myself that it’s time to price my aluminum options again. Last time I did, Fortress was the only real option and it is pricey.

Warren, Azek rails, with installation, on a 10×10 second story deck can be over $4000 while a 14×30 second story deck would be $4600. We have a lot of small decks around here so the entry cost on a small deck is substantial. If I can find a good alternative to offer for synthetic decks that would save me some time and cost then I could take a grand off my total, if the customer wanted to, or we could put that money towards a much nicer deck board or a lighting package.

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

The majority of the railings I do are PT wood but the few that aren’t are usually Evernew. It is a good rail system and fairly inexpensive.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Anonymous
    Inactive

That looks great, Tara. I was just looking at a new aluminum railing that HD is stocking and thinking to myself that it’s time to price my aluminum options again. Last time I did, Fortress was the only real option and it is pricey.

Warren, Azek rails, with installation, on a 10×10 second story deck can be over $4000 while a 14×30 second story deck would be $4600. We have a lot of small decks around here so the entry cost on a small deck is substantial. If I can find a good alternative to offer for synthetic decks that would save me some time and cost then I could take a grand off my total, if the customer wanted to, or we could put that money towards a much nicer deck board or a lighting package.

Thank you @ EthanB…it can be pricey, but get great deals from Hoover Fence in north OH on the Aluminum. The Scranton profile in the American Aluminum is what we sell the most as other profiles can be more expensive. Husband loves the stuff…quick to install, and we don’t get any call backs regarding rusting or flaking..he refuses to install Iron again. We’re avid Azek and Timbertech installers, and this is the railing we install with 90% of it. If Hoover doesn’t have what you’re looking for, try summithomeproducts.net They carry the American and the Arabian aluminum

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I am not unsure if it is a bargain rail but on the last few decks we used a Westbury Rail system. It sounds like it is in the Azek price range but it installs quick and easy.

The rail sections are about 25 bucks a foot and the post are about 65 bucks for a 2 x 2 post with the base cover and cap. It is an all aluminum rail. I cannot find a “Westbury” website but it comes up under other online retailers. I buy it from ABC supply (they have 496 locations around the country) at a Better price than the online prices I find.

Attachments:
    EthanB
    Pro
    South Kingstown, RI

Thanks for all the suggestions. I’ll start calling around for aluminum.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Looks great in the picture! How well did the paint stick to the EMT?

We wiped them down with denatured alcohol and 2 years later they are doing fine.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

We tried some electric conduit the we sprayed with primer and paint

Looks pretty good too. Two years and still holding up that is pretty good in salt spray.

I saw a Stainless Steel cable system to be used as a deck railing. It is horizontal instead of vertical and you thread through posts every 4-6′ and then tighten the end to tension it up and hold it straight. Not only does it never rust but also provides a better view through the railing.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

EthanB
    Pro
    South Kingstown, RI

Like this?

The cable will change color a bit over time as it collects pollen,grit, etc. and will need to be cleaned. The visibility is good and I think it’s less maintenance than glass. Spacing has to be less than 4″ to pass code as it can be moved a bit. I’m right at the limit here on what the inspector would pass but it’s also a low deck so they weren’t as likely to be picky as they would on a second or third story.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Here’s a deck that my husband just finished this past month in northern KY. Has alot of aluminum railing….price was right under $1500.00 including shipping. From hooverfence.com, and they ship all over.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I am definitely have to shop around, probably will make some wood ones for now till I get the metal ones sorted out.

bethepro
    Keymaster
    Mt Prospect, IL

Like this discussion on FB.

Email us at bethepro@bethepro.com

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Here’s a deck that my husband just finished this past month in northern KY. Has alot of aluminum railing….price was right under $1500.00 including shipping. From hooverfence.com, and they ship all over.

that looks like a lot of rail for $1500, are you sure you are not missing a zero. if not, I really need to check our hoover fence

Anonymous
    Inactive

TaraC wrote:

@kurt
    @wlekerhomes.com..yes, my blunder. Only saw the 2nd page of the invoice from my phone. Add another $2154 to that $1500. Still, with what we’ve paid for some of the composite railing, it’s still a good deal.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 70 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.508 seconds