dcsimg

What is this file called and where can I get one?

This topic contains 15 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Boschmanbrian 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

So I have this old file and it’s getting dull, but I have no idea what it’s called and where to buy one. I even went to tool shops and the floor guy has no idea either.

Well I sorta know, similar ones are used in ski tuning and called panzer file, but searching panzer file only brings up ski shops which doesn’t really help.

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

That’s a flat ” Mill Tooth” file. You can also get 1/2 round and almost certain a flexible file in that style.

Search “Mill Curved Tooth” there’s a bunch of different ones on Amazon

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

That’s a flat ” Mill Tooth” file. You can also get 1/2 round and almost certain a flexible file in that style.

Thanks! Milled tooth file returned lots of results, actually Lee Valley has one, I’ll add it to the shopping list. 😀

Doobie
    Pro

LV. While they don’t have every possible tool, they generaly will have the ones that matter,

You can also try looking for a “float file”.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

LV. While they don’t have every possible tool, they generaly will have the ones that matter,

Yeah the biggest problem is knowing what the damn thing is called so I know what to look for.

What is a float file . Is it flat on all sides .

Always willing to learn .

Commonly used in plane making to make a flat surface inside the mouth and where the iron sits. Typically just called a float, but if you google that you get many off topic subjects. I am sure there are other uses for them, but, in essence, it is just another type of file. They make ones meant for metal too, often used in body work. You can get them in different profiles.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Lie-Nielsen sells some nice Floats…

Orange County, CA

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Hmm according to wikipedia a float can be resharpened. I actually tried it on mine but didn’t turn out well. I suppose the straight teeth on floats would be easier.

Commonly used in plane making to make a flat surface inside the mouth and where the iron sits. Typically just called a float, but if you google that you get many off topic subjects. I am sure there are other uses for them, but, in essence, it is just another type of file. They make ones meant for metal too, often used in body work. You can get them in different profiles.

Thank you for that bit of knowledge . I just learned some new today .

Always willing to learn .

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I don’t believe I have heard of float file or even seen one before. I will have check this out.

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Ah.. float, that was the other name I couldn’t think of when I replied yesterday. Here’s a nice selection……
    http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/iwasaki-carving-files.aspx

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

@jzmtl we use them in the shop, we call them vixen files, great on aluminum,
    They even come in different width, and shapes.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Haha, I did search for vixen files before posting the thread, but with the word vixen in it, there were a lot of unrelated results.

Yeah they are awesome for non-ferrous metal.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Haha, I did search for vixen files before posting the thread, but with the word vixen in it, there were a lot of unrelated results.

Yeah they are awesome for non-ferrous metal.

Lol , I just logged on to the computer , sorry I could not see the name of the file on my phone , it actually says vixen right on the handle , and those are the exact same thing we use , I will text you tomorrow 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.175 seconds