dcsimg

What is essential in a good woodworking bench?

Viewing 5 posts - 1,001 through 1,005 (of 1,005 total)
  • Author
    r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

okay @smallerstick, my mortise and tenon technique isn’t down pat yet, its not where I want it to be. So in the absence of a domino xl, i was thinking of using a dowel jig and do it like this

https://www.dowelmax.com/how-to-build-a-diy-workbench/

I did mortises on the TS before gluing the legs. The the tenons on the TS using a dado blade. A little fine tuning with a chisel and good to go.

Mortises for the stretchers were done with a Forstner bit on the DP and again, cleanup with a chisel. Tenons on the stretchers were done with a router.

I have a dowelmax and it gets used in most projects. I love it.

One of the legs of my workbench is dowelmax, with 15 1-foot long dowel rods in it (3 indexed rows of 5)

Plenty strong, but more work than a drawbored m&t

I was thinking of picking up the jessem dowel jig, seems easy enough. Out of curiosity, why is one of your legs dowelmaxed? why not all four?

okay @smallerstick, my mortise and tenon technique isn’t down pat yet, its not where I want it to be. So in the absence of a domino xl, i was thinking of using a dowel jig and do it like this

I did mortises on the TS before gluing the legs. The the tenons on the TS using a dado blade. A little fine tuning with a chisel and good to go.

Mortises for the stretchers were done with a Forstner bit on the DP and again, cleanup with a chisel. Tenons on the stretchers were done with a router.

One of the legs of my workbench is dowelmax, with 15 1-foot long dowel rods in it (3 indexed rows of 5)

I was thinking of picking up the jessem dowel jig, seems easy enough. Out of curiosity, why is one of your legs dowelmaxed? why not all four?

Its actually only one of the crossmembers (the top, back right corner)

I screwed up my tenon, and hadn’t chopped out the mortise yet. I figured I could try it, and if it doesnt work, I can always saw off the crossmembers and put in new ones. Seemed worth trying compared to milling a new crossmember.

Works perfectly, so I will keep it that way

If I ever build another bench, unless I go for 100% authentic hand cut everything, I will just use a dowelmax.

I plan to start making a couple of flip-top stands for my planer, jointer, router table, and bandsaw. Those will be fast to make out of 2X scraps and dowel joints. Just need to work out the flipping mechanism

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I screwed up my tenon, and hadn’t chopped out the mortise yet. I figured I could try it, and if it doesnt work, I can always saw off the crossmembers and put in new ones. Seemed worth trying compared to milling a new crossmember.

If I ever build another bench, unless I go for 100% authentic hand cut everything, I will just use a dowelmax.

I plan to start making a couple of flip-top stands for my planer, jointer, router table, and bandsaw. Those will be fast to make out of 2X scraps and dowel joints. Just need to work out the flipping mechanism

perfect, in that case i’ll pick up the jessem dowel jig, do you find you use commercial dowels or do you make your own?

perfect, in that case i’ll pick up the jessem dowel jig, do you find you use commercial dowels or do you make your own?

I use the ones from justjoinery.ca or the 12 inch dowel rods from lee valley when I need better than 2 inch long

Still looking for the 4 inch fluted dowels, I know they used to be sold by dowelmax

Paging @yellaD Thread Borked, need a V2

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I’ll start a new one, no clue where @yellad has been.

@ChadM
    can you close this one

Viewing 5 posts - 1,001 through 1,005 (of 1,005 total)
  • The topic ‘What is essential in a good woodworking bench?’ is closed to new replies.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 1.885 seconds