dcsimg

What is essential in a good woodworking bench?

Viewing 20 posts - 981 through 1,000 (of 1,005 total)
  • Author
    smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/dtrWMrZhVC4?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>
    not a fan of the screws he used but not bad

That is a lot of work to make a point! I wonder how many sets of blades he used in his planer on that project.

Gotta give him A for effort.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/dtrWMrZhVC4?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

That is a lot of work to make a point! I wonder how many sets of blades he used in his planer on that project.

quite a bit i expect, and another turn of events, i can’t do what you do with the tool tray, in order for me to use the holdfast and batten method, i need both sides with dog holes.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/dtrWMrZhVC4?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

quite a bit i expect, and another turn of events, i can’t do what you do with the tool tray, in order for me to use the holdfast and batten method, i need both sides with dog holes.

I am mulling over the same thing. I have decided I would like to use hold fasts and battens, but will a split top be compatible with that method? I would not want a hold fast hole so close to the centre gap that it splits out. What are your thoughts on that?

I have no plans for tool trays in mind right now. The bench will be pretty basic and if I want to add vises later, I will.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I think the tool tray is a feature of the traditional bench and is not part of the Roubo concept.

I think the tool tray is a feature of the traditional bench and is not part of the Roubo concept.

Altiough it does often get added to the middle of the split top Roubo variant, often in such a way that it is flush in one orientation and a plane stop when flipped

Its what I will one day do with mine, but I havent got around to it. Instead, I have a board in the gap, making it a tool (and shavings) filled trench

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I am mulling over the same thing. I have decided I would like to use hold fasts and battens, but will a split top be compatible with that method? I would not want a hold fast hole so close to the centre gap that it splits out. What are your thoughts on that?

I have no plans for tool trays in mind right now. The bench will be pretty basic and if I want to add vises later, I will.

If the split in the middle ever becomes a problem for the holdfast and batten method, i am going to make a reversible slip in , one side is a tray and other side is a covered piece to eliminate the hole. it should work lol.

If the split in the middle ever becomes a problem for the holdfast and batten method, i am going to make a reversible slip in , one side is a tray and other side is a covered piece to eliminate the hole. it should work lol.

No issues for used battens and holdfasts on a split. I use my four holdfasts constantly

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Good to hear that a split top is still a viable option. I was thinking along the lines of a narrow split that has an insert that can be raised for a planing stop that has slots in it so I can put a couple of chisels or saws into it. The options for something that seems so simple is mind boggling. But then again, even Chris Schwarz has a couple of variations on his benches for holes, so if he hasn’t got a definitive answer on it, no one has.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

looks like I gotta use the sander on the top to work with the grain. However its coming along, i may need to buy some more wood as i might of miscalculated how much i wanted. Thought i was going to use less due to the moravian style workbench.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

looks like I gotta use the sander on the top to work with the grain. However its coming along, i may need to buy some more wood as i might of miscalculated how much i wanted. Thought i was going to use less due to the moravian style workbench.

Is the grain reversing on you? I have the same thing with the ash I am building the coffee table out of. Got a bit of tear out with both the planer and the hand planes. I am thinking I need a high angle smoothing plane, until I look at the bank account that is…..lol.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Is the grain reversing on you? I have the same thing with the ash I am building the coffee table out of. Got a bit of tear out with both the planer and the hand planes. I am thinking I need a high angle smoothing plane, until I look at the bank account that is…..lol.

Yeah right there on the left side a small spot that is reversed. Once i have the base built, I’ll sand down both sides with multiple Sanders. Probably start off with the smallest to the 1/2 sheet sander.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Looks pretty good from here. If I may, it’s a workbench, not a dining room table. I have a few of those bits of tearout on mine. A year from now you won’t even see them.

The grain in that maple is so wonky I doubt that it’s possible to avoid a little bit of tearout. But it does have such character!

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Looks pretty good from here. If I may, it’s a workbench, not a dining room table. I have a few of those bits of tearout on mine. A year from now you won’t even see them.

The grain in that maple is so wonky I doubt that it’s possible to avoid a little bit of tearout. But it does have such character!

thanks, im not too worried, I just need more time heh isn’t that the key word more time. Although with this project i was able to break down the boards for the top much easier due to the powermatic bandsaw, man that thing is amazing. I can’t believe how much time and how much safer it is to dimension the boards on it.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

thanks, im not too worried, I just need more time heh isn’t that the key word more time. Although with this project i was able to break down the boards for the top much easier due to the powermatic bandsaw, man that thing is amazing. I can’t believe how much time and how much safer it is to dimension the boards on it.

Oh you did have to mention the Powermatic band saw, didn’t you. I dimentioned mine on the Unisaw but with the kerf closing down on a few of the cuts, I had some concern. Several times I shut it down to add a wedge to the kerf to keep it safe.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Oh you did have to mention the Powermatic band saw, didn’t you. I dimentioned mine on the Unisaw but with the kerf closing down on a few of the cuts, I had some concern. Several times I shut it down to add a wedge to the kerf to keep it safe.

lol I had to, Im glad i managed to score it off kijiji. Thing is a champ, love the machine, makes things so much safer. I just need better infeed and outfeed options. The kerf was thin but due to the fact i had a crappy blade on and haven’t gotten to time to buy new blades for it, it didn’t cut as straight and even as i would like it to, but no matter everything worked out well.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

That pallet bench was a cool project. What a great effort. It came out great.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

okay @smallerstick, my mortise and tenon technique isn’t down pat yet, its not where I want it to be. So in the absence of a domino xl, i was thinking of using a dowel jig and do it like this

https://www.dowelmax.com/how-to-build-a-diy-workbench/

Doobie

I dimentioned mine on the Unisaw but with the kerf closing down on a few of the cuts, I had some concern. Several times I shut it down to add a wedge to the kerf to keep it safe.

I was cutting 3/4 inch stribs of cedar fencing last week and while I have a Merlin splitter on my Unisaw that has pawls, the Jessem TS guides made that job a whole lot safer and easier. Highly recommend them.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

okay @smallerstick, my mortise and tenon technique isn’t down pat yet, its not where I want it to be. So in the absence of a domino xl, i was thinking of using a dowel jig and do it like this

I did mortises on the TS before gluing the legs. The the tenons on the TS using a dado blade. A little fine tuning with a chisel and good to go.

Mortises for the stretchers were done with a Forstner bit on the DP and again, cleanup with a chisel. Tenons on the stretchers were done with a router.

I did mortises on the TS before gluing the legs. The the tenons on the TS using a dado blade. A little fine tuning with a chisel and good to go.

Mortises for the stretchers were done with a Forstner bit on the DP and again, cleanup with a chisel. Tenons on the stretchers were done with a router.

I have a dowelmax and it gets used in most projects. I love it.

One of the legs of my workbench is dowelmax, with 15 1-foot long dowel rods in it (3 indexed rows of 5)

Plenty strong, but more work than a drawbored m&t

Viewing 20 posts - 981 through 1,000 (of 1,005 total)
  • The topic ‘What is essential in a good woodworking bench?’ is closed to new replies.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 2.915 seconds