dcsimg

What is essential in a good woodworking bench?

• This topic has 1,004 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 5 years ago by r-ice.
Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 1,005 total)
  • Author
    yellaD
    Pro

Wow, I just had a tool-gasm. The heavy machinery they had was ridiculous, from mill to processing to the hand tools. I guess BenchCrafted represented with their criss-cross leg vise. Just one question though, did you think it was hot in there, or what?

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

From the research I’ve done, Chris Schwartz of fine woodworking thinks a bench should fall somewhere between the wristbone protrusion and your first joint of ring finger. For bench planes and chiselling I need it to be low, leaning over a mortise or gouge chisel is important. I’m only 5’5″ so it’s going to be lower than usual, but more than the 28″ minimum for the BenchCrafted Leg vise assembly. Right now I do most chisel work on a board on the floor and no hard core bench planing at home. Hence the need for a workhorse of a bench. BTW, I really appreciate the info that’s being shared, it’s a fun topic and there really is no right or wrong. I’m just curious to what suits the you.

what about a joinery bench like this one
    http://www.renaissancewoodworker.com/boring-dog-holes/

I mean you can save the heavy planning for the joinery bench and have a regular bench for glueups and stuff.

Shannon Rogers is also on my subscription list. He does some beautiful work.

Here is something to consider also, not my cup of tea, but seems functional and does not take up a lot of space.

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/videoseries?list=PLD60F5FEC6707C031&#8243; frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

I like this bench alot, this will definitely save space, see I think it’ll be good if i have a planning bench and a glue up bench. separate the two so I don’t have to sand up glue and dents on the planning bench.

yellaD
    Pro

What a luxury to have the space for two or more benches. But that would be awesome, an assembly bench that’s higher and a working bench that’s lower.

What a luxury to have the space for two or more benches. But that would be awesome, an assembly bench that’s higher and a working bench that’s lower.

Or – an assembly bench that rolls over the workbench. I had one over my old table saw – kept me from using the TS as a table and ruining the finish. Since it was an assembly table, having one side open didn’t matter structurally.

Rockler casters on the workbench, regular casters on the assembly table. Keeps the workbench clear because it is under the assembly table when stored.

I went with a pre-glued 1 3/4 maple top and built the heavy supporting legs myself out of maple using a combination of plans, with round dog holes. I have been adding vises etc. as time and money allow, and given my satisfaction, I would do it again, pretty much the same way.

Will

That is one nice looking bench you have built, looks nice and solid, plus I like the height.

yellaD
    Pro

That’s a good solution @Montreal Medic. My imagination is running wild with ideas off of your idea. I’ve seen a lot of fixtures that go on TOP of the workbench via dogs or vises to raise or hold but roll right over is interesting

That’s a good solution @Montreal Medic. My imagination is running wild with ideas off of your idea. I’ve seen a lot of fixtures that go on TOP of the workbench via dogs or vises to raise or hold but roll right over is interesting

Look up Wood magazine, issue 178 for a plan you can riff off. They call it a double duty outfeed table

A few pics (none of them mine)

Look up Wood magazine, issue 178 for a plan you can riff off. They call it a double duty outfeed table

A few pics (none of them mine)

Found a few pics of the one I built – out of 2X4’s with 3 2X12s for a top with a gap. Worked well to cover my old table saw, and was helpful when I built the roubo top. Was also the first time I had tried drawboring M&T joints. Was fun practice with nothing to lose

My favourite part of the design was the flip up wheels – was just the right height to fit over the TS (you could make it the right height to cover the Roubo) when on wheels, but could flip down to more solid footing when need be – at the right height to be an outfeed table.

Looks rough, but very practical. Got rid of it, but the neighbour who got it is real happy to have something he can toss engine parts on without worry.

Ignore the mess

yellaD
    Pro

Pretty much everything I made so far can double as an outfeed support for one machine or other. I’m retiring the ol’ Mastercraft and getting something else. Want a bandsaw and Festool 75mm plunge track saw as a dream scenerio.

yellaD
    Pro

I’ve tried to keep heights at 31″ because that’s just under the height of my truck bed as well as my mitre stand set up. It’s kinda the magic number that works for most of my needs. I have a dolly that I can load stuff from truck and wheel it into my garage and chop it up or onto the lumber rack, which the lowest rung is 31″. Therefore, I want my Roubo to be around 31″.

I’ve tried to keep heights at 31″ because that’s just under the height of my truck bed as well as my mitre stand set up. It’s kinda the magic number that works for most of my needs. I have a dolly that I can load stuff from truck and wheel it into my garage and chop it up or onto the lumber rack, which the lowest rung is 31″. Therefore, I want my Roubo to be around 31″.

And since that would bring a rollover table to about 34.5, thats great too

yellaD
    Pro

I just checked out the black bear forge site, very cool. They also have bench stops also, all hand made and very reasonably priced. Which style of holdfast did you get @MontrealMedic

I just checked out the black bear forge site, very cool. They also have bench stops also, all hand made and very reasonably priced. Which style of holdfast did you get @MontrealMedic

I got the Kootz design leaf in 3/4. Love the quality, and being able to say it was a real blacksmith thar made it is cool

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

After a year or two with my bench there are a couple changes I would make. I like being able to roll my vac under (it has a void in the center on the front) but the castors have reeked havoc on the sides. It’s just too heavy to roll around on the rockler castors. Maybe another set is needed our I need to bridge the void for suoport.

Make it HEAVY. I like my torsion top with dog holes over a solid top. Mines a tank and I love it.

don’t make it too big, but to small isn’t good either. I would like mine about 6″ bigger both ways. Personal preference but you might want to try out a size before building.

I also was in the school of thought that everything should be the height needed for an out feed table, since purchasing the MT55 track saw, I haven’t used, nor needed an out feed table.

The OA break down table is a perfect complement to a work bench. I use mine for an assemble/cutting area. The adj feet I made are perfect for my needs. I like a higher work bench and a LOW assemble table.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

yellaD
    Pro

Interesting, you have a torsion top and the bench is still too heavy for the Rocklers? What is the size of your bench now, if you want it 6″ bigger?

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Interesting, you have a torsion top and the bench is still too heavy for the Rocklers? What is the size of your bench now, if you want it 6″ bigger?

Well, it’s a bit of a hybrid bench, it’s got lots going on. You can check out the build here:

http://bethepro.com/forums/topic/new-work-bench-with-l-boxx-storage-and-bench-dog-holes/

I don’t know the size off the top of my head, and I guess you can always want bigger, but I think 6 more inches would satisfy my needs.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

yellaD
    Pro
    smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

@yellaD that really sums it up.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Good video. Think it is not what I would want for a bench , but definitly has some things to offer.

yellaD
    Pro

Good video. Think it is not what I would want for a bench , but definitly has some things to offer.

What else would you add?

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 1,005 total)
  • The topic ‘What is essential in a good woodworking bench?’ is closed to new replies.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 1.328 seconds