dcsimg

What is essential in a good woodworking bench? V2.1

Viewing 20 posts - 261 through 280 (of 298 total)
  • Author

Very practical, pragmatic approach to a workbench build.

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/UV7PF9jbG7k?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

Yup. They don’t all have to be art. A neighbor wants to set up shop with all hand tools – retirement is around the corner- and he does not have anything yet. I offered the use of my shop and tools to build a bench since that’s the one “tool” you need to be able to build the others.

I will suggest something like this

Otherwise, it will be using the top on some sawhorses until he has a bench

He will use the Dowelmax for joinery though. He doesn’t have the m&t skills yet

Good place to start on those M&T skills. A saw and a chisel and a mallet will get you there. The size of them (big) make them easier too. 1/8″ off a big joint is OK, on a small one, it is huge. If you draw bore them it will tighten the shoulders up and it is even less of an issue as the tension in the wood helps. Besides, it is great fun chopping them out. My “zen zone”…lol.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Here’s the final build video from David Boeff.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/M7u7S5SL6gA?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

Thats a nice bench, but I don’t know about storage under the bench top

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/M7u7S5SL6gA?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

I love Davids work. He is quite the craftsman. I like “some” storage under the bench, but not all the way to the top. I want some clear space under there because I use holdfasts that extend through the top and need some room under it. In my mind, mine has a shelf under it, perhaps some sort of single drawer height storage sitting on that shelf. Perhaps a shelf unit just high enough so bench hooks and such can be slid under there.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/M7u7S5SL6gA?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

I love Davids work. He is quite the craftsman. I like “some” storage under the bench, but not all the way to the top. I want some clear space under there because I use holdfasts that extend through the top and need some room under it. In my mind, mine has a shelf under it, perhaps some sort of single drawer height storage sitting on that shelf. Perhaps a shelf unit just high enough so bench hooks and such can be slid under there.

I could be mistaken, but I think the space behind the top stretcher on the base is open to allow holdfasts etc. to be used.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

These 2 video series follow a Roubo bench build by a British woodworking student. Lengthy watch but excellent detail and he has a nice, easy manner.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I have a new case of “workbench envy”

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Been a while since I’ve been on here.

Update to my Workbench.
    Just about complete, used a bit over 5′ oak dowel rod to drawboard the stretchers in. I got to say for my first time, it is very satisfying to see the bench in place. Just need to give it a coat to protect it.
    Drill a few holes for my holdfast and hunt yardsales/kijiji for a decent woodworkers vice.
    over time I plan to put some shelving on one side and drawers on the other.

@smallerstick,
    I only had one of my top stretchers twist on me, so I decided that I could do without it. The table top is pretty much flat.

couple of pictures, the old dresser/bench had seen it day.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Update to my Workbench.
    Just about complete, used a bit over 5′ oak dowel rod to drawboard the stretchers in. I got to say for my first time, it is very satisfying to see the bench in place. Just need to give it a coat to protect it.
    Drill a few holes for my holdfast and hunt yardsales/kijiji for a decent woodworkers vice.

@smallerstick,
    I only had one of my top stretchers twist on me, so I decided that I could do without it. The table top is pretty much flat.

Welcome back @58chev it has been a while.

Wow, nice work! Bet it feels good to have it done finally, eh? What are you planning to use for finish?

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/7T3dISw5sRw?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

Ready to build another one now?

Update to my Workbench.

@smallerstick,

Looks nice and sturdy. Good job and welcome back.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/7T3dISw5sRw?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

Ready to build another one now?

Not quite yet. I learned a lot from his build videos both in techniques and in the planning process. He is a very skilled, talented young man.

I will be changing my runout/assembly table one day. I got some ideas from him for that job.

Doobie

Hey Frank. Nice to see you drop by. I was texting with your SIL Aaron earlier this week to see where you guys were up to. Seems he’s busy with the new house and the baby.

Update to my Workbench.

Nice improvement! 👍

@58Chev hey Frank, nice to hear from you,
    Nice job on the bench Frank,

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

@SmallerStick
    Using a brew given to me by my SIL, he got the recipe from @montreal_woodworks.
    BLO + Beeswax + Terpintine as for the ratio??? Have no idea.

Think I eventually ended with three coats on the bench, very pleased with it.

— Glenn Botting

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

@smallerstick
    Using a brew given to me by my SIL, he got the recipe from @montreal_woodworker.

Wow, that came out just beautifully, Frank. Congrats on a job well done. What is the first project going to be?

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

@smallerstick
    Using a brew given to me by my SIL, he got the recipe from @montreal_woodworker.

Wow, that came out just beautifully, Frank. Congrats on a job well done. What is the first project going to be?

ThanX Peter
    Wouldn’t have been possible without your assistance sourcing the wood.
    Not sure what the first project will be? Might have to think some storage / shelving for the bench.
    Scouring the interweb for a decent but affordable 7″ – 9″ woodworkers vise.

— Glenn Botting

@smallerstick
    Using a brew given to me by my SIL, he got the recipe from @montreal_woodworks.

Wow. I’m on vacation and I thought I had turned off all of my email alerts while I was gone but I’m glad I missed turning off this one. That looks great Frank. I’m glad my “witch’s brew” went to good use!!!!

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

@smallerstick

ThanX Peter
    Wouldn’t have been possible without your assistance sourcing the wood.
    Not sure what the first project will be? Might have to think some storage / shelving for the bench.
    Scouring the interweb for a decent but affordable 7″ – 9″ woodworkers vise.

I’ll keep an eye out for a vise. There are a couple of guys out this way who may have one.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

ThanX, Eric
    I almost don’t want to put anything on it. LOL

I’ll keep an eye out for a vise. There are a couple of guys out this way who may have one.

That would be great, Peter.

— Glenn Botting

Viewing 20 posts - 261 through 280 (of 298 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.708 seconds