dcsimg

What is essential in a good woodworking bench? V2.1

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 298 total)
  • Author

Hi Guys

Jim @bethepro told me that the last version of this (v2) was accidentally eaten by a glitch – hopefully it can be restored so all that great content isn’t lost

However, it was a great topic, and we have a few members planning their builds or partway through their builds.

Hope to see progress shots again, and all the ways you put those great tools to work building the biggest of the builds most people will ever do.

@r-ice @smallerstick @58chev Where are you guys up to now?

Attachments:
    r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Here is the old thread, thought we could continue our discussions in this one.
    http://bethepro.com/forums/topic/what-is-essential-in-a-good-woodworking-bench/

@smallerstick, was wondering after seeing a few workbenches, was there a reason why you chose one with the legs sitting on top of piece of wood heading from back to front? I was planning on just leaving the legs just sit right on the floor.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

@smallerstick, was wondering after seeing a few workbenches, was there a reason why you chose one with the legs sitting on top of piece of wood heading from back to front? I was planning on just leaving the legs just sit right on the floor.

Simply a style choice. My old workbench was built that way and nostalgia was in play. Traditional workbenches usually are constructed that way. The legs straight to the floor is a Roubo style imo.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Simply a style choice. My old workbench was built that way and nostalgia was in play. Traditional workbenches usually are constructed that way. The legs straight to the floor is a Roubo style imo.

The leg footing is a holdover from trestle construction, and so very common in regions where trestle was a style

Roubo is a french style, and similar styles can be found in most predominantly catholic places. Here in quebec, old benches show their french roots, whereas in Amish territory, you see the germanic/dutch influence

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

The leg footing is a holdover from trestle construction, and so very common in regions where trestle was a style

Roubo is a french style, and similar styles can be found in most predominantly catholic places. Here in quebec, old benches show their french roots, whereas in Amish territory, you see the germanic/dutch influence

Good point, Eric, my old bench came from a shed in Tavistock, right in the heart of German settlement in Ontario. Trestle legs with a top anchored only by a couple of dowels.

Attachments:

Doobie

my old bench came from a shed in Tavistock, right in the heart of German settlement in Ontario. Trestle legs with a top anchored only by a couple of dowels.

Now that’s got a lot of character worked into that one. Did you get it used of added the ‘character’ yourself over the years.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

my old bench came from a shed in Tavistock, right in the heart of German settlement in Ontario. Trestle legs with a top anchored only by a couple of dowels.

Now that’s got a lot of character worked into that one. Did you get it used of added the ‘character’ yourself over the years.

Oh, it was very well used when I found it back in the 70’s. It was sitting in a foot of water in an old drive shed, covered in paint cans, junk and old tools. I rebuilt parts of the base a few years after I found it to improve the stability and get rid of a bit of rot.

Judging by the hardware and fasteners, I estimated it was from the last part of the 19th century. The top was a single maple board.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Judging by the hardware and fasteners, I estimated it was from the last part of the 19th century. The top was a single maple board.

@smallerstick,
    Hope you kept some of that hardware to incorporate into your current workbench? Now that would be a nice touch.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

@smallerstick,
    Hope you kept some of that hardware to incorporate into your current workbench? Now that would be a nice touch.

The bench was sold when we moved from Northern Ontario. I’m sure it’s still in use today. There was nothing wrong with it.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

that makes more sense, I was just curious if there was more of a sturdiness idea behind it vs aesthetics.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Here is part 2 of the Nicholson bench build … Really good work here.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/PIqBKWbUOrc?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

I’ve been watching this one and i quite like the nicholson style, eventually when i need a second or third bench, i’ll have to branch out and make different styles.

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/PIqBKWbUOrc?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

Good one. Beautiful bench too.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Not my taste as a design but the execution is excellent

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

well working on my workbench again today

Thinking the legs will be 5 inch by 3 inch, should be more than robust.

Looking great! 5X3 should be a good size, and you can always plate it if you ever want to

For fun, heres where mine was at that stage

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Glad to see you are back at it. Gonna be some nice weather for working outside.

Waiting for glue to dry is always exciting. That looks like a nice beefy top and I think the legs size you are thinking of will be great!

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Looking great! 5X3 should be a good size, and you can always plate it if you ever want to

wow yours looks more like they were 5 inch by 5 inch. I am debating if i want to do a mortise and tenon to fit the top to the legs or just use a nice 1 to 2 inch dowel on each leg and support drill in to the bottom of the top and the top of the legs

wow yours looks more like they were 5 inch by 5 inch. I am debating if i want to do a mortise and tenon to fit the top to the legs or just use a nice 1 to 2 inch dowel on each leg and support drill in to the bottom of the top and the top of the legs

I ended up removing those top tenons and using dowels – the mortises were too much work

Those were almost 6 x 6 at that stage. Ive added more wood to them since, because I wanted a stripe of walnut on each leg. About 8 X 5.5 now on the finished bench

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 298 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.577 seconds