dcsimg

What got you in Woodworking

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

I started woodworking out of necessity mostly. It’s nice to be able to throw something together when you need it and have it be of a quality better than some stores. Grew up poor, so if you couldn’t fix it or make it yourself, you didn’t have it for the most part.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I love the common threads that run through all these posts 🙂 My dad, my school, love for making things

It wasn’t my dad, he taught me nothing, I may have had a shop class in school but I must have been on indoor then and can’t remember any of it. I might like to make things but I’ve never had a place to make anything. I do it truly for money. If I could make money any other way I would.

Sorry, I didn’t mean to include you in something that mighy be painful to you :/ I went back and changed the wording on that post to reflect that better.

Being trapped in a job, regardless of how others might feel about that same job, has to be a very difficult place to be. I see you contributing on here fairly often, so thank you for taking what you have gained through your experience and turning that into something that benefits others.

Charlie

Instagram

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

now it was really @58chev who got me into home renovations. He showed me a few years ago how to do drywall, mudding, concrete, plumbing, laminate floor installing, etc.

Think we forget the friends that help us. I picked up some good info while Chris was doing your steps about concrete. Nice knowing folks in the trades

Oh yah @utopia78 is a treasure trove of knowledge. His expertise is crazy, i’ve learned so much from him as well. One thing that really sets him apart is his ability to caulk a perfect line.

now it was really 58chev who got me into home renovations. He showed me a few years ago how to do drywall, mudding, concrete, plumbing, laminate floor installing, etc.

Think we forget the friends that help us. I picked up some good info while Chris was doing your steps about concrete. Nice knowing folks in the trades

@siberian,
    You are correct. We tend to forget the friends who assisted us along the way.

A seasoned interior finisher taught me a lot while doing work in my first house. He at that time had his business for about 25 years and taught me quite a few tricks with drywall, mud and paint.
    An electrician buddy (now retired) helped me wire my current home and I have appreciated what he has taught me. Which allowed me to pull a permit to completely wire my garage when I built it.

Sounds nice,

now it was really @58chev who got me into home renovations. He showed me a few years ago how to do drywall, mudding, concrete, plumbing, laminate floor installing, etc.

Oh yah @utopia78 is a treasure trove of knowledge. His expertise is crazy, i’ve learned so much from him as well. One thing that really sets him apart is his ability to caulk a perfect line.

Yes he is, nice to have the trades folks here that share, it is a great way to get into new projects

JerrySats
    Pro
    Garnet Valley, PENNSYLVANIA

Always like making things even at a young age , wood was the easiest thing to work when your 14 . At least it was for me more then metal working. Now its been over 40 years and I still love making stuff even in metal now .

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Thanks guys! I’m looking forward to get my desktop into my new place so I can start posting some more. Getting BTP withdrawal. Was nice reading this positive post this morning. Have a great day!

A Working Pro since 2004

dibs16
    Pro
    Hanson, MA

Grew up in the same house as my grandfather, who was a cabinet maker. He started building furniture by hand at age 7. Needless to say, I didnt appreciate it or get it while i was young. Just wanted to play sports and talk to girls I guess. Wish he was still 100% i have plenty of questions.

Rob
    Pro
    Birmingham, Alabama

My Dad always had a shop. The tools were cool and dangerous.
    He would buy antiques and refinish them to resell, as a part time small business.
    We would always talk about how we could remodel our houses (we moved every three years).
    But he didn’t know how to do that.
    I started a Furniture refinishing business right out of high school and then my customers began to ask me to do some minor things at their houses. My skills grew from there and 15 years later I hired my Dad to work with me remodeling houses.

Doobie

I also did it because I love wood. It’s such a wonderful natural looking thing. It is also so wonderfully engineered in a sense. Wood and stone are nature’s natural building products.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Well this has been interesting to read. It made me remember somethings I left out or just never thought of at the time of posting.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

My grandfather built houses from the ground up, usually working by himself or with one helper. Would take 1 year from start to finish. I helped him when I was a kid. Took some classes in High School, mostly self-taught, but I have also taken other workshops and a college course. I like making things and can make something nicer than buying, so that is what keeps me at it.

Orange County, CA

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Old Thread Warning

I also did it because I love wood. It’s such a wonderful natural looking thing. It is also so wonderfully engineered in a sense. Wood and stone are nature’s natural building products.

I think this one thing that got me into woodworking too. I always like the way wood looked after it was finish. I always seem to like wood with defects.
    Is possible you have in your genes. I have cousin from England who says I take after our family with skill working with my hands. My cousin’s Dad, Grandfather and other family members were carpenter’s/woodworkers.

Greg

Doobie

Old Thread Warning

I think this one thing that got me into woodworking too. I always like the way wood looked after it was finish. I always seem to like wood with defects.
    Is possible you have in your genes. I have cousin from England who says I take after our family with skill working with my hands. My cousin’s Dad, Grandfather and other family members were carpenter’s/woodworkers.

I think it is in my blood too. I only found out about 15 years ago of my natural family’s heritage of being a long line of carpenters and I had already long been into working with wood and building things with my hands.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Old Thread Warning

I think it is in my blood too. I only found out about 15 years ago of my natural family’s heritage of being a long line of carpenters and I had already long been into working with wood and building things with my hands.

I found out about 5 or 6 years ago.

Greg

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

It is good to read that so many got started in HS shop class, and yet a shame that so many schools have cut that out of the curriculum.

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

Doobie

Old Thread Warning

Were you adopted also Greg?

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I found out some years back I had a brother that was adopted. Lucky guy!

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Old Thread Warning

Were you adopted also Greg?

No Kevin I wasn’t adopted. My distant cousin remark that I was taking after our relatives after see a woodworking project I had just made. My Gt Gt Grandfather came from England.

Greg

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.649 seconds