dcsimg

What got you in Woodworking

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I have been wanting ask this question. Whats got you into Woodworking?

What got me into woodworking? I always wanted to do woodworking. But figured I wouldn’t be very good at it. Once I got my own place I bought a jig saw, circular saw and table saw. I then borrowed my brothers 12 1/2 planer and 4 inch joiner. I built a few projects. Then once I seem to have kids I want to build more projects for them. Then I started buy more tools since 2012. So I now have a list of projects to build. So really I would say I have been woodworking for the last 6 years.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

Doobie

HS shop class and later NYW.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

Shop class, then wanting to save some money on furniture when we bought a house, but not wanting to buy cheap particleboard junk from department stores.

My wife and I have always loved wood – the grain patterns, the figuring, the textures. After pushing wood all my career but in the paper form, I wanted to build things with my hands. Woodworking gave me an outlet to do just that and to allow creativity in design. I concur with MrFid, not wanting to buy junk, making your own furniture for yourself and others is a worthy endeavor.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Same here shop class in high school. Really liked it.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I enjoyed shop, but I was a cocky little jerk, and had the attitude at the time (which I know is wrong) that the trades were just for those who couldn’t hack it in a “real” profession. How wrong I was.

For me, what got me into woodworking was my father and grandfather. They could (or so it seemed) build or fix anything. When I got my own house, I was useless, but my dad would help out a lot. So, I paid attention and realized I wanted to be self-sufficient as the “man of the house”

The modern recycled/distressed look helped too. It all was so easy to copy, even for an amateur, and the store prices were obscene. I preferred to make stuff then to buy it.

Who knew I would love it? Now I can make just about anything (that doesnt need a lathe… I can’t do that yet) if I have the time or the interest. I like that better than being an overconfident but useless cocky kid.

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

When my best friend and I were around 14 his mom wanted a new kitchen, and we decided to figure it out.

It was more of a for fun on the summer holidays thing. We made new doors and faces out of maple, copying one of the simpler styles at home depot.

After that I always did a lot of woodworking and carpentry, mostly self taught. It wasn’t until after college that I ended up working I the field full time.

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

Burnt out in the high-tech sector and made a career change. That led to working at a customer door shop and then a small cabinet shop.

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

While I did enjoy shop classes in HS. Never thought it would be a career. I got back into it for the need to eat. lol And has blossomed into something I enjoy doing now.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

In my 20’s I started picking antiques, some in need of repair of course so I learned how to do that. Bought old houses, again in need of repair, so I learned how to do that.

Now it’s a hobby, though i still do some of the home repairs. Old hand tools are still my preferred way of working and traditional joinery is what I usually choose.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Mine was a career change. I had been a framing contractor for 20+ years and the lower back pain was killing me. I wandered lost for awhile, fell into a granite countertop shop for a bit, then a friend of mine through the internet showed me what his wood cnc could do and I made the change right then and there. I don’t have a cnc yet, but have plans for building one soon. Had help from two cabinet makers who taught me all the ins and out secrets and pitfalls to avoid.

Finishes will kill you no matter how much you prepare for it. Expect 2 years of hard knock learning.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

I am a third generation carpenter. My grandfather taught my dad and my dad taught me. I have been helping him on stuff since before I was a teenager

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Necessity.

I have always needed things I couldn’t afford so I built them. I have always tinkered with things to get them functioning again so it was just a natural evolution from fixing to building. I never considered myself a “woodworker” and I don’t think I am a “maker” either. Perhaps just a Tinker. A hobby one at that.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

asevereid
    Pro
    Kamloops, BC

For the little bit of woodwork I do, I do it for enjoyment and developing new skills.
    I enjoyed it in high school, and after I began my apprenticeship in carpentry, the desire to perform woodwork was rekindled.

Lurking Hit and Run poster.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I was into making things, and still am into making a wide variety of things. I think i first got in to woodturning, a friend taught me everything about wood turning and after a few years of making a selling pens etc. I got into different areas of woodworking, its like a never ending search for knowledge.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I have been wanting ask this question. Whats got you into Woodworking?

What got me into woodworking? I always wanted to do woodworking. But figured I wouldn’t be very good at it. Once I got my own place I bought a jig saw, circular saw and table saw. I then borrowed my brothers 12 1/2 planer and 4 inch joiner. I built a few projects. Then once I seem to have kids I want to build more projects for them. Then I started buy more tools since 2012. So I now have a list of projects to build. So really I would say I have been woodworking for the last 6 years.

I would like to add that I thought about woodworking as career 2 years. Being out of work I manage to get a job at shop making paddles. I only work there 6 months as ran out of work. We had 1 big customer and 2 or 3 smaller. My job was beginning of the process of building a paddle. I enjoyed and learnt alot. I also machines I never ran before.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

Anonymous
    Inactive

I see the majority here is like me and started it in HS, That says a lot about our school systems having shops to get kids interested/educated a little for a possible career. I’ve heard most HS don’t have them anymore, Pretty sad really….

Although I didn’t make woodworking my career I was always interested in it and was capable of making minor things when the need arose, I also took metal shop and engine repair in HS which I was more interested in and did make somewhat of a related career out of along with a few other things. Guess I’m kind of a ‘Jack of all trades’ now but I can fix about anything, Still enjoy woodworking too

gomoto69
    Pro
    salmon arm, bc

Had done lots of framing/wiring/plumbing projects around the house, worked as a framer for a time, have always been into metal working. While adding a suite to my basement, i needed a bathroom vanity 42″ long, only available were 36″ and 48″, so i thought how hard can it be? Took me a long time but was very pleased with the results, sparked an interest in woodworking. I’ve always been the type who would rather buy a tool and a ‘how to’ book than pay someone else to do something, i guess woodworking was inevitable!

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Mine was a career change. I had been a framing contractor for 20+ years

Isn’t that woodworking??

Mine was a career change. I had been a framing contractor for 20+ years

Isn’t that woodworking??

Framing? I don’t consider framing as woodworking. I guess technically, it’s working with wood, so maybe I’m wrong, but that’s not my definition.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.323 seconds