dcsimg

What does everyone do?

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 161 total)
  • Author

I have just about done everything. My specialty right now is custom cabinetry. I have GC’s 6 projects, framing contractor for many years, drew blueprints (yes, professionally), digital templating at a granite shop (my ‘This Old House’ gig), trim work, siding, roofing, excavation, foundations…about the only thing I haven’t done is sandblasting and welding, which I am just about ready to delve into.

asevereid
    Pro
    Kamloops, BC

I’ve been in the trades in general for about 10 years now, and I spent the first part of that as a landscape installer. I worked for the same company season after season and worked my way up from general labor to lead on some projects. We worked primarily on commercial installations (well, the crew I was a part of did), and did our fair share of residential as well. We specialized in hardscaping (interlock brick and retaining walls), and softscaping (shrubs, trees, turf, etc…). I was a certified Horticulturist through all of this and thought that this would be my career.
    Things changed though, and I often found myself doing nothing during the winter; so I began working as a site laborer for one of the construction company’s that we subbed for during the slow months. I was able to work my way up with them as well from labor to helper, to apprentice. At that time I realized that I really enjoyed carpentry as well, and found that I could work all year round (if there were projects available), so I committed myself to the apprenticeship and proceeded to go through a couple of different companies to complete it. During that time I worked on commercial sites learning concrete formwork, interior trim, plenty of back framing work, stair and deck construction…and spent two years in a small subsection of construction installing trailers in ‘camp’ setups. Through that company I had a chance to travel all around Western Canada and learned more about cranework, layout, and even took on a mold remediation project.
    All of this was fairly rough carpentry and I needed to get in to more involved work, so I parted with them and got back into commercial construction locally. I was able to finish my apprenticeship with a project in 2012 that included my second suspended slab concrete job, and some general carpentry and interior trim on a 4 storey multi use building.
    Since then I’ve been involved in some minor interior residential renovations, and have been under the employment of a great local company that handles mostly commercial renovation work.
    Through them I’ve found the more ‘involved’ work I was seeking, and have tackled some more complex forming, finishing, and learned to do some hardwood flooring work.
    I’ve only been in carpentry for some six or seven years…and I’ve still got A LOT of learning to do, but that’s what being a journeyman is all about.
    My name is Adam, and I’m a carpenter.

Lurking Hit and Run poster.

JamieM
    Pro
    Hamilton, ON

Been in business for about 5 years building custom furniture for recording studios and technical furniture. Before that I did a lot of work building props and set pieces for theatre, film and TV.

SamM
    Pro

DIY guy that’s a full time farmer on a 2800 acre grain farm.

So, A small farm, for sask. anyways 😉

Been full time in the trades for 5 years, I own my own handyman company and work as a sub for a good construction company. Looking at about 2 more years of both before I switch to just my own stuff.

I’ve done almost everything a little at this point, but my favorite things are Roofing (Steel and asphalt), siding (Hardi, Vinyl, Stucco), decks, and framing.

I do a lot of drywall hanging and finishing as well as painting with my company. Seems no one likes to finish drywall around here.

The one area I still have a lot to learn is fine woodworking and cabinets. Hoping to get an opportunity to learn and practice it more, because I really enjoyed the little I’ve done.

Heck, I enjoy everything in construction!

I started this company about 10 or 11 years ago to specialize in decks. In 2009 we switched over to steel frames for all of our decks. Since then we’ve been able to write a few articles for various trade magazines about steel framing as well as other business articles and tool reviews.
    A quick before & after

Robert Shaw -Colorado Deck and Framing
    www.mysteeldeck.com

RSG
    Pro
    Niles, OH

Been a union carpenter since 1990. In 2000 decided to go out on my own and have never looked back. Business has changed over the years from building homes, to additions, to now I mostly do some remodeling projects and a lot of commercial maintenance

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

I’ve been in construction for 23 years now…I’ve done a little of everything, pole barns, framing, steel buildings, drywall, trimwork, painting, decks, siding, some concrete. The last couple years I’ve worked mostly by myself doing smaller remodeling jobs.

I also have three chicken barns where I grow about 700,000 chickens a year.

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

Full time IT professional, and DIY’er\woodworker as a hobby.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I’ve been in construction for 23 years now…I’ve done a little of everything, pole barns, framing, steel buildings, drywall, trimwork, painting, decks, siding, some concrete. The last couple years I’ve worked mostly by myself doing smaller remodeling jobs.

Thats a lot of plucking, but I suppose the income is only chicken feed

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

Holy moly! That sounds like a lot… is that a lot?

Calidecks64
    Pro
    Anaheim Hills, Cali

Ten is a lot to me. So I guess that would depend on who you ask. Lol

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

My uncle once had a chicken farm, then the power went out in a storm causing the fans to quit and they ended up with tens of thousands of dead chickens.

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

My uncle once had a chicken farm, then the power went out in a storm causing the fans to quit and they ended up with tens of thousands of dead chickens.

It’s happened to me…that’s a nightmare! I have an 80kw self start generator, but if a main breaker trips in a barn the generator is useless.
    As to whether I raise a lot of chickens? The processing plant here processes 2 million birds a WEEK, I’m just a drop in the bucket!

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

DIY guy that’s a full time farmer on a 2800 acre grain farm.

So, A small farm, for sask. anyways ;)

Smaller then most, bigger then some. It’s about the perfect size for two guys to handle harvest. Seeding’s easy as long as the weather cooperates.

I’m new to the game again (grew up on a farm, went big city, back to the in-laws farm for the last few years FT)

It’s a great life.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I do what I want, When I want LOL. Retired railroader 33 years service. Now I’m a DIY’r 🙂

hdpro
    Pro
    Upstate, NY

I was in healthcare management for over 15 years. I also have a Masters in Counseling. While doing both of those, I was in EMS for 18 years. Kinda burned the candle at both ends and everywhere in between! It fizzled out and I went back to school for Res/Comm/Ind electrical. Went into the line mans union and ended up doing traffic signal work which I really liked! I didn’t like the extended time away from home and eventually went into partnership with a guy doing what I trained for, for 2 yrs. And as most partnerships go, well….you know.

Struck out on my own 14 years ago and continued to train in all areas of home repairs and remodeling. My wife and I operate the business. I mostly work alone. I have several other self-employed contractor friends I can call when I need a hand.

There were few good employees when I was partners back then, and from what I see, that pool keeps swirling down the drain! I don’t miss those headaches…..

vos
    Pro
    oswego, NY

I was in healthcare management for over 15 years. I also have a Masters in Counseling. While doing both of those, I was in EMS for 18 years. Kinda burned the candle at both ends and everywhere in between! It fizzled out and I went back to school for Res/Comm/Ind electrical. Went into the line mans union and ended up doing traffic signal work which I really liked! I didn’t like the extended time away from home and eventually went into partnership with a guy doing what I trained for, for 2 yrs. And as most partnerships go, well….you know.

Struck out on my own 14 years ago and continued to train in all areas of home repairs and remodeling. My wife and I operate the business. I mostly work alone. I have several other self-employed contractor friends I can call when I need a hand.

There were few good employees when I was partners back then, and from what I see, that pool keeps swirling down the drain! I don’t miss those headaches…..

where did you do EMS out of? I’m an EMT – firefighter for Minetto FD

hdpro
    Pro
    Upstate, NY

I worked for both a paid and volunteer service in our area. I’m south of Syracuse a ways…

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I am a freelance carpenter.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Calidecks64
    Pro
    Anaheim Hills, Cali

I sure could use a freelance guy like you Dirty! Ever come to Cali look me up. I pay well!

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 161 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.701 seconds