dcsimg

What does everyone do?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 161 total)
  • Author
    parenos
    Honesdale, PA

Since we have gained so many new members, I was wondering How many people are full time contractors? What do you specialize in, and do you own your own business?

I am a full time contractor that owns my own business. It is a small company, I only have one employee right now, but am hoping to hire another in the spring. We work in all aspects of construction, mainly remodeling, but also build custom furniture.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I am a full time contractor. I have had my own business for almost 15 year’s. We vary between 3 to 6 employees besides my wife and I. My wife runs the office and I take care of the rest. We do mostly residential work, specializing in mew homes and remodels. About 10 20 20 percent of our work os commercial. do get into a lot of odd ball projects. We also develop residential sub divisions and small commercial properties. We also perform subcontract hauling with our dump trucks.

gtaylor
    Pro
    El Dorado, Ar

Ive worked in the railroad industry as a labor , brakeman an conductor over the past 38 yrs .
    But have many mediums i enjoy working in on the side.I have a small foundry an do a little sand casting . I have done a little basic metal engraving that I crossed over to concrete an now to my granite furniture work. I really like repurposing all types of materials from where ever , industrial , historic , everything’s fair game . Hopefully in a couple of years I will have more time to focus on my furniture work .

My name is Gerald Taylor of Taylor made granite furnishings LLC . .

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

I’m a DIY’er now for the most part. I grew up with my dad as a GC, and later gov’t building inspector and spent quite a lot of time on job sites through my teenage years. Nowadays, it’s mostly home projects for me, although I try to keep ‘sharp’ by also helping out my brother in law who has a finishing company in town when things get busy. And my sharp is probably your dull.

I work an office job, so it’s nice to get out of the office and work for a day every once in a while. Work here is pretty plentiful so it’s pretty great to have that option.

Calidecks64
    Pro
    Anaheim Hills, Cali

Full time here as well, been full time for 12 years. My first job right out of the gate when I first got my license was a 9000 sq. ft. Home I framed. Since then I sorta evolved into a decking company. Which has been very lucrative, for me.

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

I’m a full time contractor, we do remodeling, additions, decks, some custom woodworking, and the occasional small home. I have been in the trades since a little before I graduated high school and have about 5 years of running the business under my belt.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

MRenes
    Pro
    Vienna, Missouri

I work for a Christian Camp, I do A/V and IT stuff, but also help with building projects. I am a DIY guy as well, (completely remodeled my double wide trailer). I really enjoy doing electrical projects.

Calidecks64
    Pro
    Anaheim Hills, Cali

I also want to mention I’ve been a carpenter since 1984 and will be retired if everything goes right by 2024. By then I will of had 40 years under my belt! Yikes!

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

After 20 years of doing a job I really didn’t like, it got into rolling shutters. I’ve been installing them myself for the last year, and have even been lucky enough to do some work for Starbucks, which was nice. The aluminum shutters that I install are kind of like hurricane shutters and after I get all the bulk items, I cut everything down and install them for the customers. They look like this:

Moze
    Dallas, TX

Interesting, Sven. That’s pretty cool.

I primarily install non-illuminated signs, primarily for other sign companies. I do a little bit of turnkey sales and installation as well.

Resident Sign Guy

redwood
    Pro

I’ve been pretty much a full time contractor for 37 years. Trying to retire right now, but the phone doesn’t stop ringing and I’m a softie.

Mostly a carpentry contractor, over the years we have done a lot of different things. Framed mini malls, framed commercial buildings, did a lot of the work on over 100 food establishments, including chains, lots of commercial TI work, completely remodeled the exteriors of 100+ unit apt. complexes, a few residential additions.

But my specialty since the beginnings were decks, pergolas, and gazebos. Got side tracked a few times and did the above work. I’ve had as many as 15 employees, but have usually stuck to around 3.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Automotive Repair and all around do it yourselfer.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

I’m also a DIY’er with a full time job as an IT professional (office job). I enjoy DIY work on the side and mostly stick to at home projects but i also try to keep an eye or ear out for family, neighbors, friends, etc who are taking on a project that i can give them a hand with and lend my skills and abilities too. I’m game for the occasional charity work for someone in need as well and really enjoy being able to serve in that way.

I’ve been a carpenter for almost 5 years and work for my father who’s company has been in business for 30 years. we’re mostly framing subs but also do trim work and finished decks. and more rarely, general contracting. my dad is clueless with computers and I went to school for marketing, so I handle all of the business’s email and Internet stuff and lately have been bringing in a lot of new customers he wouldn’t have otherwise found. I’m on the waiting list for the local carpenter’s union, but otherwise the plan is to take over the business eventually.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

Retired framer , carpenter for 30 years , now Extreme Birdhouse Builder ! 🙂

I have been doing carpentry/contracting work as a profession since 1995. Before that I did it as a hobby & helping my dad around the house with his projects. My dad has been in the trades for as long as I can remember so I think it’s in my blood.

Mt first job was with a remodeling company. We did siding, windows, roofing, etc. That company evolved and we started doing more additions and more extensive remodels. My father was part owner of that company, so we still worked together.

In 2001, myself and a friend decided it was time to give our own buisness a try. We also had a third partner in the beginning. We did anything at the beginning. Our third partner and us parted ways in 2007.

We continue to grow as a company. We build custom homes and do remodeling projects. We self perform a lot of our work. We do the framing, siding, trim, and cabinetry. We have developed great subs that work with us for the other items.

We also work for a graphics company helping with their installations. It is cool work that gives us a break from our everyday projects every now and again. We tend to travel for that company.

We have done a fair amount of concrete countertop surfaces, and tend to get asked to build some very unique items for our clients. I enjoy a challenging project and am lucky that I get to continue to be paid to hone my skills.

Gosh…that’s better than what I wrote for the BTP tool testers info @bethepro.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

vos
    Pro
    oswego, NY

i have ben doing construction from a young age helping all the nab ors work on there houses. now i work full time doing general construction and love doing it!

NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

Full time home builder, kitchens, baths, basements, additions, decks, and hole home renovations. Basically the bigger projects lol

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

licensed carpenter specializing in high end renovations and custom new home construction. i work on every stage of the job except drywall and roofing. my specialty is interior/exterior trim and framing.

i work full time for a general contractor http://www.topsailprojects.com and own my own small business trimcats carpentry where i do finish work, decks and commercial millwork installs

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

DIY guy that’s a full time farmer on a 2800 acre grain farm.

Did construction framing in my 20s. Always liked building stuff and do lots of metal fab. Have rentals we take care of and I do the odd kitchen on the side. Building a house on our own this year.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 161 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.596 seconds