dcsimg

What do you have invested in tools?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I read posts every day about the benefits or the disadvantages of one product over another. That’s as it should be. That is why we are here.
    Here’s another question: how much do you have invested in tools and equipment?
    …and another: what do you produce using those resources?

I guess what I’m getting at is; do you need to spend a fortune to build what you want? Do you need to spend a fortune to practice your trade efficiently and effectively?

I am retired and woodworking is a hobby for me. I can build just about anything I want with what I have.

I have a 10″ Unisaw, a 6″ jointer, a 14″ bandsaw, a Dewalt lunchbox planer, a 16″ drill press, a couple of good routers, nailers, staplers, and enough handtools and accessories to be comfortable. All this represents an investment for me of less than $3500. (Canadian dollars … that’s about $1.87 US right now) I buy used; I buy quality.

Do I want more; of course. Do I need more; I doubt it.

How do you buy? What do you need? How much is enough?

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Youngin
    Pro
    Edmonton, AB

There is never enough tools. We have I believe 9 editions of the tool thread.

Never enough.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Edit: Double post!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

There is never enough tools. We have I believe 9 editions of the tool thread.

Never enough.

Amen! I have a spreadsheet that lists all of my tools, etc for insurance purposes. I need to update it, but the value is fairly high…higher than my wife would appreciate!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

i second that about doing a spreadsheet..prblem being actually sitting down and focusing on doing it…

i know ive dropped more than enough coin on tools though over the 12 years ive been at it. its not just buying a new tool for the collection its the countless times you buy a replacement tool for one thats about to die when you use it constantly…. my cordless 12 v omt just bit the dust today… barely a year old too

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

Obviously this will vary widely based on what you do, how many employees you have, etc. We do about 50/50 new construction framing, and remodeling/additions. We have shop tools, site tools, lots of picks, ladders, scaffolding. Forklift is about 20k, and the rest probably totals somewhere near that.

Doobie

I refuse to answer this question on the grounds it may infuriate my wife should she read it. Lol!

I’ve never added it up, it’s in the tens of thousands. Over 50K wouldn’t surprise me. I know there’s a lot more invested than one realizes in the non-tool little things associated with tools themselves like consumables and acessories.

jaydee
    Pro
    Spencer, Ma., happy 2015

My wife thinks my work is great,,,
    see thinks I do it all with a hammer, pliers and a screw driver.

I don’t think she really knows how much I have.

Enough that if I had the total amount and inested it years ago I wouldn’t need to use them

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

I refuse to answer this question

LOL

Me too. I just changed insurance providers and it’s always more then you think…

but back to the OP question, there’s a point in everyone’s life that you need things and you want things. If tools are your things, then get the best you can afford. I am finding the older I get, the more I appreciate better tools. But I like tools. I don’t have a harley, or a fast car or a big boat (well, I have a little boat) but you know what I mean. I like having nice tools.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

Same here..

Additional question, especially for those of you who buy used. What is the replacement value (in new equivalents) of your stuff?

I figure I have dropped about $2k, but would have a 10-15k replacement cost – did well with used and hand-me-downs

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

but back to the OP question, there’s a point in everyone’s life that you need things and you want things. If tools are your things, then get the best you can afford. I am finding the older I get, the more I appreciate better tools. But I like tools. I don’t have a harley, or a fast car or a big boat (well, I have a little boat) but you know what I mean. I like having nice tools.

That’s what I’m talking about. What do you need? How do you get it?

Same here..

Additional question, especially for those of you who buy used. What is the replacement value (in new equivalents) of your stuff?

I figure I have dropped about $2k, but would have a 10-15k replacement cost – did well with used and hand-me-downs

Good question; what is the replacement cost? How do you figure that with much of what we buy used not really replaceable?

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Obviously this will vary widely based on what you do, how many employees you have, etc. We do about 50/50 new construction framing, and remodeling/additions. We have shop tools, site tools, lots of picks, ladders, scaffolding. Forklift is about 20k, and the rest probably totals somewhere near that.

Very true it comes down to trade and hobbie what you need and what you want to have . Anyone can start out with cheap tools and build to the thousands of dollars . Plus you income plays a big roll as well .

Always willing to learn .

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I would say we all spend way more than you would ever think. They add up quick and doesn’t take long to acquire a bunch of tools.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Doobie

there’s a point in everyone’s life that you need things and you want things. If tools are your things, then get the best you can afford. I am finding the older I get, the more I appreciate better tools. But I like tools. I don’t have a harley, or a fast car or a big boat (well, I have a little boat) but you know what I mean. I like having nice tools.

I swear Brad is quoting me from somewhere else where I wrote that. 😉

Good question; what is the replacement cost? How do you figure that with much of what we buy used not really replaceable?

Its not easy to say, and thats why I put it at a range

Figure the big stuff is replacable (ish) with the newest equivalent (A Bosch 4000 TS becomes a 4100 for example)

The small stuff is harder. Theres hardware store grade stuff, antiques, uniques, and specialty stuff.

Antique tools have a ballpark going rate on places like eBay (hassle, but it often works) Unique stuff gets replaced with something else that does the same job, and specialty stuff always has a latest and greatest replacement.

Not easy, not accurate, but a ballpark.

I just took the value of the half dozen big tools, added the same amount for my planes and hand tools (as a quick and dirty) and same amount again for everything else. So big ticket value X3

I refuse to answer this question on the grounds it may infuriate my wife should she read it. Lol!

I’ve never added it up, it’s in the tens of thousands. Over 50K wouldn’t surprise me. I know there’s a lot more invested than one realizes in the non-tool little things associated with tools themselves like consumables and acessories.

Sorry man, Brad sliped me a 20

Sorry, Brad slipped me a 20

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

It is hard to say. I do a bit of everything: roofing (shingles, metal and rubber), siding, concrete, tile, hardwood, drywall, some plumbing, painting, framing, remodeling, decks….You get the picture. I have lots of ladders, scaffolding, picks, cement mixer, bull floats, concrete blankets, tons of different saws, cordless tools, shop tools….If I had to guess I would say that I am somewhere in the $20k range. They don’t all get used everyday or even every month but they do get used and when they get used they make me money so that warrants me owning them, in my eyes at least.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Oh wow, I don’t want to know that answer. It is a lot like the rest of you. Probably more than I should have. Actually the wife has a better answer than me as she is the bean counter and I am not going to ask her. 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.342 seconds