dcsimg

What are your Workshop Goals for 2019

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 69 total)
  • Author

Now that the bench is done I guess the electrical feed to the shop is next on the radar screen. Still not sure if it’s possible this year, but there’s hope.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Now that the bench is done I guess the electrical feed to the shop is next on the radar screen. Still not sure if it’s possible this year, but there’s hope.

That should be a game changer for you. Good luck with making it happen.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I started pulling the bearings out of my 2300 Beaver band saw.

Never had to do a bearing job. I honestly wouldn’t know where to start.

It is the first time for me on a band saw.

Ok now we are into 2019. What are your Workshop goals for 2019.

What projects you would like to do?

What tools you would like to buy?

What would you like to learn?

Feel free to add more.

I managed to get a few goals of my list. I would like to do a better job this year.

I still need to work on getting my Workshop organized for better work flow is top on my l.

Build a Outfeed /Assembly Table.

Build Lathe stand and so I can get my lathe working.

Get my new planer up and running.

Rebuild my 2300 Beaver Band saw.

I not sure if want to add too much more to my list as really want to get these done this year. Alot will depend on how much shop time I get.

Here is the link for 2018 thread:
    https://bethepro.com/forums/topic/what-are-your-workshop-goals-for-2018/

Lets hear what your goals are for 2019.

Old Thread Warning

I have got one thing off Workshop Goal list so far this year.

I got my new planer wired up and running with VFD. I ended up mounting the VFD on the planer. This way the planer can be moved around in my small shop. I am really happy with this purchase. I still have a few things I need to look at before I put it too work.

Sounds like a decent job , what size and style of bearings do you have to replace Greg
    We have extra bearings around the shop , I might be able to get you some.

It might be a harder job then first thought. I am having a hard time getting bearings off the lower drive shaft. I ran out of time when working on it. I have yet to get back to it.
    They are a sealed bearing and size I am not sure yet.
    Thanks for the offer Brian.
    I am hoping to get back at this week. But I am working midnight”s so you never know.

When you put the new ones in remember to put the numbers facing out where you can see them. Makes the job easier the next time, even if it’s not you doing it. That way the bearings can be ordered before the saw is taken apart.

Good tip Jim.
    The one bearing behind the bandsaw wheel had the numbers facing out. But that bearing got damaged from a loose wheel. I might be able to read some of the numbers. I haven’t checked the other side as I need to remove the drive pulley.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I am still working at getting my shop organized. I needed to get my planer running and I want to get the bearing replaced in my Band saw before I get backed at organizing my shop. I really need to put a plan in place for before I start this again.

I am sure that will make things much better when you get the electrical feed to your shop.

Greg

@GTokley not a problem Greg , if you can get me the information/dimensions , we have a drawer full of spare bearings , mix of sealed and regular.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

@gtokley not a problem Greg , if you can get me the information/dimensions , we have a drawer full of spare bearings , mix of sealed and regular.

Ok Brian thanks very much!

Greg

Doobie

You gonna bury it or do an aerial drop?

How far you gotta go and how many amps you wanna feed to it?

I’m not decided yet. It depends on the minimum height by code for the overhead wire. If it’s cheaper to go over, that’s the way I’ll go. It’s not a long run from the house to the shop, but it’s a fair distance from the shop to the house’s breaker box. I think about 60 feet or so over all. I did kinda measure it once, but I forget the exact distance. I am going to put in a 60A service into the shop. I have the box and the breakers already. The big expense will be the wire and getting it put in. I will hire that part out to an electrician. I don’t like messing about inside a live box.

Edit: Min height is 3.5m or 11.4′ for an overhead wire, so I’ll have to measure that.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I’m not decided yet. It depends on the minimum height by code for the overhead wire. If it’s cheaper to go over, that’s the way I’ll go. It’s not a long run from the house to the shop, but it’s a fair distance from the shop to the house’s breaker box. I think about 60 feet or so over all. I did kinda measure it once, but I forget the exact distance. I am going to put in a 60A service into the shop. I have the box and the breakers already. The big expense will be the wire and getting it put in. I will hire that part out to an electrician. I don’t like messing about inside a live box.

Edit: Min height is 3.5m or 11.4′ for an overhead wire, so I’ll have to measure that.

If the price is close, wouldn’t it be preferable to bury the power feed to the shop?

Having 60A service available will sure make life easier for you.

Doobie

I saved at least half the cost of using single strand sheathed wires in plastic conduit versus the fully encased multi wires for my 60 amp feed to the panel in my shed. The real chore was in digging the two foot deep trench in our clay laden soil here. That was a dog. I ran two conduits. One for electrical, and a second for alarm/cable/bell lines. I didn’t really want an aerial drop for its unsightliness for this structure as it would be highly visible.

I have another structure I will be building and adding some power, probably just 20 or 30 amps, but that one I’m undecided how to run it. It may be an aerial as hardly anybody would see it but me. Where I would need to bury it for that structure it wouldn’t be a long run, maybe 10 feet, but there’s a bunch of tree roots I don’t want to destroy in doing so either.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I am sure that will be really nice to have 60A service in your shop. I know running wire in isn’t cheap. As far as I know no one should be working in a live electrical box.
    Also I thought Hydro would rather have wire under ground then run in the air. But running wire under ground is always Hydro’s first choice.

Greg

@gtokley not a problem Greg , if you can get me the information/dimensions , we have a drawer full of spare bearings , mix of sealed and regular.

No problem Greg , when I can help members , I will do what I can.

As to the questions above….

Yes, I would prefer to bury, but if overhead is significantly less expensive, I would go that way.

That being said, I don’t think the price difference will be that much. I don’t enjoy digging, but it’s one of the few jobs I’ve ever had where you start out at the top.

I will likely source the cable from the electrician I hire to do the job. The local guy I am thinking of using has a good reputation.

I like the idea of running a second conduit for other cables. A CAT5 may be in the future.

I have also thought of putting a natural gas feed in the trench at the same time. I think it requires a foot of distance from the electrical feed line by code. That will depend on a consultation with the local plumbing/heating guy to see if I have enough capacity and what is required. Gas pipe sizing is weird in that you have to size it to the length of run to get the proper volume at the end. Again, that’s an area I will leave to the pros to figure out.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

No problem Greg , when I can help members , I will do what I can.

That is alot spare bearings Brian. I really appreciate the offer. I thought would have had a chance to get the bearings off this week. I just haven’t felt up to the job. Working midnights shift and the heat has sucked the life out of me this week.
    Thanks again!

Greg

Doobie

As to the questions above….

Yes, I would prefer to bury, but if overhead is significantly less expensive, I would go that way.

That being said, I don’t think the price difference will be that much. I don’t enjoy digging, but it’s one of the few jobs I’ve ever had where you start out at the top.

I will likely source the cable from the electrician I hire to do the job. The local guy I am thinking of using has a good reputation.

I like the idea of running a second conduit for other cables. A CAT5 may be in the future.

I have also thought of putting a natural gas feed in the trench at the same time. I think it requires a foot of distance from the electrical feed line by code. That will depend on a consultation with the local plumbing/heating guy to see if I have enough capacity and what is required. Gas pipe sizing is weird in that you have to size it to the length of run to get the proper volume at the end. Again, that’s an area I will leave to the pros to figure out.

I can tell you what wires you need for single strand for 60A in conduit. I have that still somewhere or ask my VERY GOOD electrical buddy who is an old very good friend of mine. No prob there. I’ve never priced out an aerial drop.

I inquired at one point about shoving gas in the same trench as electrical with another bonafide pro gas/plumber buddy. Can’t exactly recall what he said as I decided not to do that, but I think you can shove it in the same trench. Not sure on that though. I can ask him again. He’s coming over at some point to hook up my NG generator that I’m still not ready to do. He lives around the corner from me and is good guy. Not close friends, but close enough. We rub each others backs so to speak with our individual pro skills.

Cat 5 is old shit now. Cat 7 is getting installed now. I only ran Cat 6 to my shed, but that’s because my electrician buddy who works for Bell gets it for me for free (scrap end of rolls).

My whole house was rewired years ago with Cat 5 in mostly plastic conduit during other earlier renos I did when access ceilings and walls were open. I even ran some fiber optics for that day comes when they run it to my houses ‘demarcation’ point, but that’s likely still some years away.

With a shed powered as such you will also likely need a 10 foot ground rod per code now or at least a plate. The plate is a lesser alternative, but still needs to go down a few feet in the ground and not be further than I think is a 10 foot run from your panel. 10 foot ground rods are safest apparently, but buried ground plates are now acceptible when done right. Electricians argue about this alternative all the time it seems.

The risk of having that heavy 6 gauge wire for a 60A feed away from the house from your main service is that even though your main panel in the house is grounded, if the lightning surge eminates from your accesory structure it will fry everything anyways in your house if it doesn’t have it’s own grounding as it has nowhere esle to go. The green 6 gauge ground wire going back to the house can’t support discharging that kind of load effectively back to the main panel for dissipation to its grounding and will seek other paths. No expert on this, just what I recollect I was told. Shamefully, I still haven’t installed my 10 foot ground wire for my shed, but it is on my to-do list. Playin’ with fire …. bad Doobie. But talk to your electrician of your own situation. Mine may be different than you need be concerned about.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

In trying to bring some semblance of order to my new shop, it has become apparent that I need more storage. My next project will building top cabinets to accommodate all the bits and pieces that are cluttering nearly every work surface and a lot of the floor, too

I will be sourcing some pine and doing the same as my old shop, cabinet boxes, backs and doors, all in solid wood. I just can’t justify spending the money for plywood when I have access to solid. Much less waste with solid as well.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

In trying to bring some semblance of order to my new shop, it has become apparent that I need more storage. My next project will building top cabinets to accommodate all the bits and pieces that are cluttering nearly every work surface and a lot of the floor, too

I will be sourcing some pine and doing the same as my old shop, cabinet boxes, backs and doors, all in solid wood. I just can’t justify spending the money for plywood when I have access to solid. Much less waste with solid as well.

Cabinets will look much nicer made out of solid wood then plywood.

This something I have been thinking about doing. Is making some cabinets. I was thinking about using Pine also. I did find a guy selling some 1 x 10 pine. I can’t remember the price. I thought it was decent.

Greg

That should be good all in pine , how many do you think you will make.

If they’re anything like the ones you built in the old shop they will be handy, and good looking too.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

That should be good all in pine , how many do you think you will make.

If they’re anything like the ones you built in the old shop they will be handy, and good looking too.

Thanks, Jim, I’m looking forward to having a place to put stuff.

Brian, I’m thinking of one full 16′ wall plus a part of the adjoining wall. Doors are not a priority yet but eventually. The last ones were a standard 12″ deep; I’m thinking these will be 14 or maybe 16″ deep.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 69 total)
  • The topic ‘What are your Workshop Goals for 2019’ is closed to new replies.
queries. 0.482 seconds