dcsimg

What are your Workshop Goals for 2019

This topic contains 47 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  JimDaddyO 6 hours, 35 minutes ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Author

I think I am going to add on to my shop / garage this spring / summer, the zoning in my area limits my choices, as I had wanted to build a free standing structure, but I think my limitations mean that I will be adding on instead. In terms of tools and projects, hmmm, I think I want to focus on some challenging furniture projects to improve my techniques and in terms of big tools maybe a drum sander or bigger dust collector.

More space would be nice. A drum sander or a bigger dust collector would be nice tools to get.

What kind & size of dust collector are you looking at?

I am thinking of a 3hp 220V all in one cyclone unit, I currently have a 1.5 hp unit with a Thein baffle garbage can chip collector and I’d like some more power with a smaller footprint that is easy to clean.

Will

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Sounds like a very good plan. Have you considered the Harvey cyclone?
    https://www.harveywoodworking.com/products/g700

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I am thinking of a 3hp 220V all in one cyclone unit,

That would be a nice dust collector to get. What brand are you looking at?

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

Learning to use my jointer if Grizzly ever restocks! I’ve been woodworking for 40 years and am finally purchasing some of the more expensive equipment I’ve never had before. And it seems like my dust collection system is a constantly changing thing!

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I’ve been woodworking for 40 years and am finally purchasing some of the more expensive equipment I’ve never had before.

Sounds great you are finally getting those tools you have always wanted.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Doobie
    Pro

Learning to use my jointer if Grizzly ever restocks! I’ve been woodworking for 40 years and am finally purchasing some of the more expensive equipment I’ve never had before. And it seems like my dust collection system is a constantly changing thing!

Welcome to the forum Alan. That’s a nice thing when we hit that stage in life. Enough of already taken care of that now we can indulge our little habits.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Welcome to BTP. Look forward hearing about your projects.

Greg

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Welcome to BTP Alan. You will find we are a friendly bunch.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

And it seems like my dust collection system is a constantly changing thing!

That’s a common thing here, Alan. Welcome to BTP, looking forward to your contributions.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Welcome to BTP , great place to share ideas and projects , sounds like you will have some great ones coming up , looking forward to hearing back from you.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Learning to use my jointer if Grizzly ever restocks!

What size jointer are you looking at getting?? Jointers are very nice tools for the work shop.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

Got one of my goals met, set up part of the woodworking shop for welding (next to the woodstove).

I’ll sleep better when I can weld outside, but in a pinch the setup is working for now. The big shiny new fire extinguisher just inside the shop door helps also.

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Got one of my goals met, set up part of the woodworking shop for welding (next to the woodstove).

I’ll sleep better when I can weld outside, but in a pinch the setup is working for now. The big shiny new fire extinguisher just inside the shop door helps also.

Nice to hear you met one of goals. A step in the right direction.

Greg

Doobie
    Pro

Congratz! I wish I felt the urge for whatever project along the years to get a welding setup. I did some in my earlier years in high school shop and on my uncle’s farm, but I never felt in my own setup and ongoing needs I needed it to compliment my endeavors.

I was actually pretty good at welding, and enjoyed it. I still think one day I may just get into it for some valid excuse at the time. Welding is fun, and an art. I’ve got an old friend who is a welder, and I now he can bring me up to speed with what I’d need should I so decide.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Good stuff ,
    Smart move having a good size fire extinguisher close by
    Hopefully you never have to use it

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Ok now we are into 2019. What are your Workshop goals for 2019.

What projects you would like to do?

What tools you would like to buy?

What would you like to learn?

Feel free to add more.

I managed to get a few goals of my list. I would like to do a better job this year.

I still need to work on getting my Workshop organized for better work flow is top on my l.

Build a Outfeed /Assembly Table.

Build Lathe stand and so I can get my lathe working.

Get my new planer up and running.

Rebuild my 2300 Beaver Band saw.

I not sure if want to add too much more to my list as really want to get these done this year. Alot will depend on how much shop time I get.

Here is the link for 2018 thread:
    https://bethepro.com/forums/topic/what-are-your-workshop-goals-for-2018/

Lets hear what your goals are for 2019.

Old Thread Warning

I have got one thing off Workshop Goal list so far this year.

I got my new planer wired up and running with VFD. I ended up mounting the VFD on the planer. This way the planer can be moved around in my small shop. I am really happy with this purchase. I still have a few things I need to look at before I put it too work.

I started pulling the bearings out of my 2300 Beaver band saw.

Greg

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

That’s a worthwhile goal to have met, for sure. A woodstove in the shop has always been one of my goals, a very difficult one, it seems with all the roadblocks put up by the insurance co’s.

Doobie
    Pro

Never had to do a bearing job. I honestly wouldn’t know where to start.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Ok now we are into 2019. What are your Workshop goals for 2019.

What projects you would like to do?

What tools you would like to buy?

What would you like to learn?

Feel free to add more.

I managed to get a few goals of my list. I would like to do a better job this year.

I still need to work on getting my Workshop organized for better work flow is top on my l.

Build a Outfeed /Assembly Table.

Build Lathe stand and so I can get my lathe working.

Get my new planer up and running.

Rebuild my 2300 Beaver Band saw.

I not sure if want to add too much more to my list as really want to get these done this year. Alot will depend on how much shop time I get.

Here is the link for 2018 thread:
    https://bethepro.com/forums/topic/what-are-your-workshop-goals-for-2018/

Lets hear what your goals are for 2019.

Old Thread Warning

I have got one thing off Workshop Goal list so far this year.

I got my new planer wired up and running with VFD. I ended up mounting the VFD on the planer. This way the planer can be moved around in my small shop. I am really happy with this purchase. I still have a few things I need to look at before I put it too work.

Sounds like a decent job , what size and style of bearings do you have to replace Greg
    We have extra bearings around the shop , I might be able to get you some.

When you put the new ones in remember to put the numbers facing out where you can see them. Makes the job easier the next time, even if it’s not you doing it. That way the bearings can be ordered before the saw is taken apart.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.589 seconds