dcsimg

What are your Workshop Goals for 2018

This topic contains 144 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  GTokley 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 145 total)
  • Author

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Woodstoves are a great idea for using scraps, but, here in Canada, there is a certification called WETT which most insurance companies require. It covers the stove, stovepipe, installation, surroundings and possible hazards. Sawdust, flammable liquids and other hazards may prevent the WETT certification from being given.

I have simplified, I know, but putting a woodstove in a shop here is not a simple process.

Wow, they are definitely making it tough on a person up there wanting wood heat.

The house we had up north had a combination wood/oil furnace. When it came time to sell, it cost me over $4000 to make the modifications required to update the WETT certification.

https://www.instagram.com/woodiworkshop/

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Woodstoves are a great idea for using scraps, but, here in Canada, there is a certification called WETT which most insurance companies require. It covers the stove, stovepipe, installation, surroundings and possible hazards. Sawdust, flammable liquids and other hazards may prevent the WETT certification from being given.

I have simplified, I know, but putting a woodstove in a shop here is not a simple process.

Wow, they are definitely making it tough on a person up there wanting wood heat.

The house we had up north had a combination wood/oil furnace. When it came time to sell, it cost me over $4000 to make the modifications required to update the WETT certification.

I’ve heard that scenario so many times.

The other way people would get forced to update was when they tried to change insurance carriers. This was something that insurance companies pushed for in the 90s. There were just to many fires from shoddy woodburning stoves.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I know my Dad had remove his wood stove from the basement of his home as he had to go outside to enter the basement. Also the stove was homemade. He heated his house for over 20 years. He end up putting a wood stove in the living room. Now he has a wood pellet stove.

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Wood makes a lot of heat. I know my FIL used wood all winter long and his house was always toasty.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Wood makes a lot of heat. I know my FIL used wood all winter long and his house was always toasty.

You cant beat wood heat. Just feels warmer than any other type.
    Nothing like backing up to a wood stove or fireplace when it’s cold!

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

You cant beat wood heat. Just feels warmer than any other type.

Your right can’t beat it. It does feel warmer then any other heat. I love it. I wish I heated with it.

Also I give my scrap wood to my parents to use for starter wood. I also use it to start camp fires.

Greg

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

You are right there, nice being warm without spending a bunch of money doing it.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

We heat the house with wood. It is a lot of work and it’s messy, and it’s cool in the morning, but the last time my gas furnace ran was Feb. 2017 when I boosted the thermostat for a minute just to check to see that it would still run.

I would say for the shop that you need enough square footage so you can get away from it a bit, which leads to a longer burn time to heat the whole shop up. I don’t think the average 1 guy shop would produce enough scrap to keep it going. You need something to keep it warm when you are not in there because of the finishes and glue freezing. My shop is too small to be able to heat with wood, I just don’t have the room to sacrifice to it.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

ProTom
    Pro
    Bear Lake, MI

My shop is heated by my outdoor wood boiler, which is nice.

My shop goal right now is to build a new bench for woodworking. Something like the photo I attached is what I will build.

Always learning, and some teaching along the way.

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

My shop goal right now is to build a new bench for woodworking. Something like the photo I attached is what I will build.

Best of all worlds; an outdoor wood boiler. Nice even heat.

Here is one thread on workbenches here. There are a couple of others.
    https://bethepro.com/forums/topic/gobsmacking-workbench/
    If you have questions, there are several of us here who have built benches.

https://www.instagram.com/woodiworkshop/

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

That is nice. Do you use scraps for fuel?

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

I know a guy that uses a wood boiler to heat his home. It’s a big one, he puts a pallet loaded with wood every three to four day’s in it.

Ron

ProTom
    Pro
    Bear Lake, MI

Most of my scraps get disposed in the boiler.

ProTom
    Pro
    Bear Lake, MI

I know a guy that uses a wood boiler to heat his home. It’s a big one, he puts a pallet loaded with wood every three to four day’s in it.

Yeah my wood boiler is a beast eating a face cord of wood in 3-5 days depending on the temperature and wind. But hard to beat the heat, turn it up and no difference in cost. I am going to hook up my domestic water to it for unlimited hot water at no extra cost.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Yeah my wood boiler is a beast eating a face cord of wood in 3-5 days depending on the temperature and wind. But hard to beat the heat, turn it up and no difference in cost. I am going to hook up my domestic water to it for unlimited hot water at no extra cost.

I like the idea of using a outdoor boiler to heat a workshop & your home. Where I use to work making paddles. They heated the shop & home with Wood boiler. It was a smaller one and wasn’t outside. I wasn’t impressed how it worked. You would have to fill it up every 4 hours. He burnt 21 Bush cord of wood that winter I worked there. He only used scrap wood to start the fire and he sold the rest.

Greg

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

What type of work would you be mostly doing?

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

ProTom
    Pro
    Bear Lake, MI

Well wood working in general I am just starting out, but I have been a licensed builder for over 25years.
    I will be making canoe paddles and fishing nets.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Well wood working in general I am just starting out, but I have been a licensed builder for over 25years.
    I will be making canoe paddles and fishing nets.

So mostly looking for a workbench for using hand tools in woodworking?

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Still thinking about a mini lathe. Lots of times just need something small and just maybe I can find the floor space for one.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Still thinking about a mini lathe. Lots of times just need something small and just maybe I can find the floor space for one.

I think a lathe could be enjoyable. Not sure on the size I would get? But everything I read talks about how addicting turning is. People start with a small one then very shortly want a larger model.

Ron

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 145 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 2.210 seconds