dcsimg

What are your Workshop Goals for 2018

This topic contains 144 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  GTokley 2 days, 22 hours ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 145 total)
  • Author

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

I thought you lived next door to your parents Chad? Not happy there?

Plenty happy there, actually we just bought a 13 acre plot that adjoins my parents property and my property…This new property has a farmhouse that we will be moving into.

That’s great news! Is the new home in good shape or will you be doing some updates?

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

That’s great news! Is the new home in good shape or will you be doing some updates?

It is in good shape, some small things that need done and few other things that I want done – adding a bath in the basement, changing a couple entry doors…nothing major.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Housewright Construction

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

actually we just bought a 13 acre plot that adjoins my parents property and my property…This new property has a farmhouse that we will be moving into.

Sounds like a nice project. Nice that you were able to get some adjoining land.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

bbernardesjr87
    Pro
    Mississauga, Ontario

Workshop goals for 2018:

What projects you would like to do?
    All kinds of sheet metal work related to houses, condos and comercial also (wall claddind, roofing, guttering, fascia board, fencing, garage doors, etc)

What tools you would like to buy?
    New metal folding machine from Switzerland (Thalmann) 8.2 meters
    New Metal fascia board machine from Germany (Schechtl)
    New metal shears from Germany (Schechtl)
    Pretty much everything from MALCO, and a huge list from Makita tools lol.

What would you like to learn?
    How to produce more quality in less time.
    How to make my employees happier

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Workshop goals for 2018:

What projects you would like to do?
    All kinds of sheet metal work related to houses, condos and comercial also (wall claddind, roofing, guttering, fascia board, fencing, garage doors, etc)

What tools you would like to buy?
    New metal folding machine from Switzerland (Thalmann) 8.2 meters
    New Metal fascia board machine from Germany (Schechtl)
    New metal shears from Germany (Schechtl)
    Pretty much everything from MALCO, and a huge list from Makita tools lol.

What would you like to learn?
    How to produce more quality in less time.
    How to make my employees happier

That is quite a list you have there. I like the one How to make my employees happier. I wish my company would ask this question.

Greg

Work Smarter Not Harder

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Plenty happy there, actually we just bought a 13 acre plot that adjoins my parents property and my property…This new property has a farmhouse that we will be moving into.

Congratulations Chad, that sounds like wonderful news.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Very nice! A new home, workshop/barn and acreage too. Congrats on that and best of luck.

https://www.instagram.com/woodiworkshop/

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

On the “I would like to, but probably won’t be able to afford” list is still getting the electric feed out to there and get it wired up, and of course, a heating solution.

Thought you might be interested in this Jim. It’s going on sale next week at $60 off.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/garage-and-ceiling-convection-heater/A-p8764375e

I bought what is a very similar one that I just installed in my 10×20 shed albeit mine came with a BT remote and digital controls on the body. Needs a 30A breaker and 10/2 wiring. It may also require a thermostat possibly too. I suggested to PA that they post the owners and installation manual on their product page.

@jimdaddyo

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

On the “I would like to, but probably won’t be able to afford” list is still getting the electric feed out to there and get it wired up, and of course, a heating solution.

Thought you might be interested in this Jim. It’s going on sale next week at $60 off.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/garage-and-ceiling-convection-heater/A-p8764375e

I bought what is a very similar one that I just installed in my 10×20 shed albeit mine came with a BT remote and digital controls on the body. Needs a 30A breaker and 10/2 wiring. It may also require a thermostat possibly too. I suggested to PA that they post the owners and installation manual on their product page.

@jimdaddyo

Thanks, but I would need the wiring done first. I have most of what I need for the wiring, it’s the feed I am saving up for. I need about 75′ of cable (6 guage copper or equivalent), the conduit, a trench, fill, and I want to hire someone to run the actual wire hookups. Of course, the permit too.
    Also….you live in Ontario, do you rely on a stable price for electricity? Not even on the radar to use electric heat here…..lol.
    I was thinking a propane furnace from an RV and a couple of tanks would be the least expensive over all for installation and running.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

It is in good shape, some small things that need done and few other things that I want done – adding a bath in the basement, changing a couple entry doors…nothing major.

That’s huge news!!! What will you do with the house you’re in now?? That’s a really big plot of land,, will you mow it or get some goats??

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Thanks, but I would need the wiring done first. I have most of what I need for the wiring, it’s the feed I am saving up for. I need about 75′ of cable (6 guage copper or equivalent), the conduit, a trench, fill, and I want to hire someone to run the actual wire hookups.

The panel I got that came with about 20 empty slots and a 60A main was around $75 at Lowes. The conduit is cheap, it’s digging the damn trench in tpugh clay that was a killer. I bought my 6 gauge single strand wires and fished them. For 75 feet it cost around $170. It’s a lot cheaper that way. With breakers and all I think it all ran me about $350 or so.

Also….you live in Ontario, do you rely on a stable price for electricity? Not even on the radar to use electric heat here…..lol.
    I was thinking a propane furnace from an RV and a couple of tanks would be the least expensive over all for installation and running.

Natural gas would probably be the cheapest option to run on anongoing basis cost wise but my shed is not gonna be kept warm in the winter whereas I suspect you’d be using yours way more than me. I just wanted to heat it for when I needed heat on occasion. Propane is likely your best option for you by the sounds of it if you don’t have NG.

I will be running NG to another structure I will be building which is for a NG sauna heater. NG sauna heaters are more expensive at the outset but last much longer than electric ones, cost less to run and heat up a lot faster. Running the gas line is not gonna be cheap though according to my plumber gas fitter buddy.

But back to your heat issue….I saw a guys shop that had an overhead radiant heat NG heater in his shop. I wonder if they make them also for propane. It’s like a 4 inch pipe about 8 feet long that is suspended from the ceiling. Have you looked into anything of that type Jim?

Back to the running costs of that heater I have in my shed…..I figure at 15 cents a kilowatt hour a 5K heater probably runs about 75 cents an hour if it was running continuously. The thing is, it doesn’t run continuously. Once it reaches its set temperature it powers off and kicks back in periodically. I haven’t used it that often since I installed it just before winter set in and my shop is not insulated other than the floor and double glass argon windows. So to try to give you an idea how much this kind of heater would be running and a guesstimate on cost for you is really impossible at this juncture.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Still thinking about a lathe. Just need the floor space. May find the space for one of those mini-lathes.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Still thinking about a lathe. Just need the floor space. May find the space for one of those mini-lathes.

Ha, floor space! I know what you mean. Just get the lathe and, if it was meant to be, the floor space will become available. Something else will just get pushed off to the side. Not exactly critical thinking but it seems to work.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

@jimdaddyo

Thanks, but I would need the wiring done first. I have most of what I need for the wiring, it’s the feed I am saving up for. I need about 75′ of cable (6 guage copper or equivalent), the conduit, a trench, fill, and I want to hire someone to run the actual wire hookups. Of course, the permit too.

My FIL use to heat his workshop with a furnace from a old RV. He replaced with Gas heater for garage from TSC. His shop was pretty much the same size as yours. He use 2 100 lb takes for his shop. He used about one tank a month in winter. It was pain to go get then filled as he need another person to help to do this. He had NG already at his place. But chose not too dig to run a NG line. Now had his new place has the same heater converted NG in his new shop.

Greg

Work Smarter Not Harder

But back to your heat issue….I saw a guys shop that had an overhead radiant heat NG heater in his shop. I wonder if they make them also for propane. It’s like a 4 inch pipe about 8 feet long that is suspended from the ceiling. Have you looked into anything of that type Jim?

NG is still on the option table for me. I have it on site and can bury the pipe in the same trench as the electric. It just means a slightly larger trench as they have to be a foot away. As for the heating unit itself it must be vented, some tube heaters are not. I don’t want the moisture build up in the shop, nor the worries of CO2. I want the shop heated all winter, although the heat will be turned down when I am not in there. I want it warm enough to keep glue and finishes in there.

He use 2 100 lb takes for his shop. He used about one tank a month in winter. It was pain to go get then filled as he need another person to help to do this.

HMM…that seems like a lot of propane for a month. I can get propane delivered here if I go with 100 lb tanks though. I was hoping to get away with 30 lb tanks if possible and they give me enough time/tank.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

He use 2 100 lb takes for his shop. He used about one tank a month in winter. It was pain to go get then filled as he need another person to help to do this.

HMM…that seems like a lot of propane for a month. I can get propane delivered here if I go with 100 lb tanks though. I was hoping to get away with 30 lb tanks if possible and they give me enough time/tank.

I thought so too. He had 2 tanks and when was empty he would take it get filled ever month. I have went with them to get filled. He would go to Costco. He had the heat on all the time. On really low when wasn’t in the shop. Plus he never kept that hot on there either as always had a light jacket on. Getting them filled would be a bonus.

Greg

Work Smarter Not Harder

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

NG is still on the option table for me. I have it on site and can bury the pipe in the same trench as the electric.

Go NG man. I’d go nuts dealing with tanks all the time.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

NG is still on the option table for me. I have it on site and can bury the pipe in the same trench as the electric. It just means a slightly larger trench as they have to be a foot away. As for the heating unit itself it must be vented, some tube heaters are not. I don’t want the moisture build up in the shop, nor the worries of CO2. I want the shop heated all winter, although the heat will be turned down when I am not in there. I want it warm enough to keep glue and finishes in there.

If you can manage, natural gas is the way to go. The hassle of refilling tanks and the higher cost of propane would not be my idea of fun. Good case for buy once, cry once kind of thinking.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

My hope is to make a strip built kayak during this summer in my shop. I have Nick Schade’s book “The Strip Built Kayak”, which I’ve read through a few times. I used his lofting charts to loft the “Guillemot” kayak, and I have paper versions of full-scale forms drawn up. I got a few project-specific tools for the holidays.

My plan is to chart hours on this project as closely as I can. I’ve never done that with a project, so that will be a new facet. People often ask how many hours it took to build a project, and while it’s not my intent to rush the process at all by recording them, I am curious myself, and it might help me get a better sense of my work rate. So far I’ve logged about 4 hours into the lofting of the plans. Of course that doesn’t count the many hours I’ve enjoyed spending reading the Schade book, watching his YouTube videos, and just generally thinking about the project.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 145 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 2.917 seconds