dcsimg

What are your Workshop Goals for 2018

This topic contains 139 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  GTokley 2 days, 12 hours ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 140 total)
  • Author

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Now we are 2 weeks into 2018. What are your Workshop goals for 2018.

What projects you would like to do?

What tools you would like to buy?

What would you like to learn?

Feel free to add more.

I wasn’t successful last year on my goals. So I thought I would try to see if I can do a better job this year.

I still need to work on getting my Workshop organized for better work flow.

Build a Outfeed /Assembly Table.

Build Lathe stand and so I can get my lathe working.

Rebuild my 2300 Beaver Band saw

Build a sanding station for my sanders.

I wouldn’t might getting some carving tools.

I want make other then start making Christmas gifts earlier then I have been.

I sure I will think of some stuff as this threads goes on.

Lets hear what your goals are for 2018. Maybe every couple of weeks. We give a update on how we are doing with our goals.

Greg

Work Smarter Not Harder

My shop is in the 2 car attached garage. Although the garage doors themselves are insulated, they are a big source of heat loss. I intend to build frames to hold foam insulation to cover the doors for added insulation to the doors along with making sure there are no leaks at the door frame edges. The frames will be able to be moved so I can open the doors if need be. This is a must do for the shop. Suggestions welcome.

After that I intend to make a bunch of jigs for the shop and tear into my inventory of bowl blanks to turn a bunch of bowls.

Well, I got my slabs for the Roubo bench top, so that is on the list. I would like to finish the insulation and wall sheathing behind the bench that the table saw sits under, widen the bench, and get that wall all sorted out with proper storage.

On the “I would like to, but probably won’t be able to afford” list is still getting the electric feed out to there and get it wired up, and of course, a heating solution.

I might do some window trim and hope to find a better way to store wood that doesn’t take up so much space. I would also like to replace my work table that I have been using up until now as the metal legs on it make a horrible sound (IMO) when I am using a mallet. Perhaps some doors on my main storage cabinets to keep the dust off things in there.

I will be making a new strop for sure. I have what I need already. There are some other projects on the list, one of which is a 6 board chest. Maybe a couple of them if I can find someone who will retail them for me. All hand tool project on that one. Kind of a bucket list item. I will need to get some cut nails to do it the way I want to.

Things change from day to day and there are projects on the “honey do” list. She wants the other deck built and that will be a major cash outlay. If I get that done I will (because she will) be happy.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

My shop is in the 2 car attached garage. Although the garage doors themselves are insulated, they are a big source of heat loss. I intend to build frames to hold foam insulation to cover the doors for added insulation to the doors along with making sure there are no leaks at the door frame edges. The frames will be able to be moved so I can open the doors if need be. This is a must do for the shop. Suggestions welcome.

After that I intend to make a bunch of jigs for the shop and tear into my inventory of bowl blanks to turn a bunch of bowls.

This guy has an interesting approach to adding more insulation to a garage door Lon.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Ive been recovering from surgery and will be on the mend for a while but as soon as my lift restriction is lifted, and I let my son stand on his own two feet from non stop hugs, I have two specific jobs to do in my shop.

I need to build a custom book shelf underneath my bar top counter to hold all of my Wife’s cookbooks.

Secondly, I will begin a set of cabinets and built-ins in our master bedroom to hold all of my Wife’s Stamping Up stuff.

Hey Chris, good to hear from you. Sorry you had a little setback there. Remember things come in 3’s so the wife has one more project for you after those first two. LOL

Thanks for the videos Ron. I will check them out.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

One of my first things is to get a van built out for working out of.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Nothing major for my shop to do list for this year as my shop is pretty well complete other than some minor tweaks needed. Just too many other projects to do to spend time ‘tweaking’ my shop although sometimes I will break from a project that I’m working on to do the odd shop tweek just for a needed mental break and change of scenery.

I guess my shed is where further shop type set up work will get done. The shed will have a work area, but not for woodworking related stuff, just as a general work area for reno related stuff and mainteneance tasks. That needs some organizing but it has to wait for other priorities.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

Warren6810
    Pro
    Akron, OH

My goal is to add on the garage that I didn’t have time to do last year. I have the plans already, and approval from zoning, so just waiting for a weather break. Attached garage will be 26×50.

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

We are moving late spring to a property with a good sized barn on it so I will be converting a portion of the barn into my new shop.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

A Carpenter's Journal

Housewright Construction

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

This year I hope to get the shaper rebuilt, complete the river boat, learn to weld and catch up on the projects for the kids (which is quite a list in itself).
    I also work out of a converted 2-car carport/garage, at this point it is completely too small for the amount of tools and supplies crammed in there – so some additional storage is planned this year also.

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

rerun_1965
    Pro
    holladay, TN

I’m hoping to get my 24×80 barn all insulated and organizes so I can move all my work tools and things in there and out of my garage

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

One of my first things is to get a van built out for working out of.

Did you pick up a new van Dirty?

We are moving late spring to a property with a good sized barn on it so I will be converting a portion of the barn into my new shop.

I thought you lived next door to your parents Chad? Not happy there?

Ron

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

the list seems to be growing; a new workbench/outfeed table is high on that list. A lathe is now officially on it and the project list is getting longer, too.

I live in fear that when I die, my wife will sell my tools for what I told her I paid for them.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

I’m needing to get something on the walls of my shop to cover the insulation I recently got up.

Ron

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

There is some goals there guys. I would like a new shop. I would have move places to for this too happen. We have been talking about moving. We will see what the summer brings.

Greg

Work Smarter Not Harder

I’m needing to get something on the walls of my shop to cover the insulation I recently got up.

I had actually wondered that when you had posted pics. Nice step to take but the aggravating part is the cost.

A lathe is now officially on it and the project list is getting longer, too.

Good for you on the lathe Peter. It will give you a lot of enjoyment.

I hate moving but I am jealous as it sounds like your shop will not be hampered by space. Good for you Chad.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

I put T1-11 panels in my shop. Gives a nice wood look and you can securely screw anything anywhere.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

Masterbosch
    Pro
    Wayne, NJ

I made a plumbing box I just need 3 more stack of lbox3 so I can put more fittings in

plusoneconstructionllc@gmail.com

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

I thought you lived next door to your parents Chad? Not happy there?

Plenty happy there, actually we just bought a 13 acre plot that adjoins my parents property and my property…This new property has a farmhouse that we will be moving into.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

A Carpenter's Journal

Housewright Construction

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 140 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.989 seconds