dcsimg

What are your Workshop Goals for 2017

This topic contains 200 replies, has 33 voices, and was last updated by  GTokley 8 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 201 total)
  • Author

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

@montreal_medic thanks for the explanation, sounds like a good project then.

@58chev I need to do that too, but mine will probably be something of the “boxed in fan with a filter added to it” variety

Charlie

Instagram

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I now have started a list of my Workshop Goals for 2017. I have a access to it on my phone & computer. Now I can look at the list and mark them off as they are completed.

Greg

Work Smarter Not Harder

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I now have started a list of my Workshop Goals for 2017. I have a access to it on my phone & computer.

Good idea, I’ll put mine on Evernote.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Ya’ll sure have a lot of great goals. Heck I just hope to get out in mine a little more this year. lol

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Ya’ll sure have a lot of great goals. Heck I just hope to get out in mine a little more this year. lol

Same here. Just been to busy with other reno and household improvements last year to get much done inside the shop.

But I have been working on so,ething shop related just to break up the stream of the other reno things I need to do. I just really need some shop time to enjoy myself in it as of late.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

That’s number 1 on my list, too. Thanks for adding it to this thread.

https://www.instagram.com/woodiworkshop/

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

New Year’s resolution style goals are:

1) Only buy quality tools, stop trying to make do with cheaper tools, even if I buy less

2) Improve dust collection on every operation

Sounds like my woodworking goals from 10 years ago. Careful! After that I got into Festool! 😰

I think Im picking up the same goals

And truth be told, if I had the available money, I would seriously consider moving my workflow over to the festool system, including a fully decked out MFT/3 with all the add-ins. Great for a small shop, just very very expensive

to be honest. the only thing that festool has that I would switch over for, would be the domino system. would make putting things together easier than traditional or even doweling systems.

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

1) Only buy quality tools, stop trying to make do with cheaper tools, even if I buy less

Sounds like my woodworking goals from 10 years ago. Careful! After that I got into Festool! 😰

And truth be told, if I had the available money, I would seriously consider moving my workflow over to the festool system, including a fully decked out MFT/3 with all the add-ins. Great for a small shop, just very very expensive

to be honest. the only thing that festool has that I would switch over for, would be the domino system. would make putting things together easier than traditional or even doweling systems.

I agree entirely and even the Domino at $1000 would be a huge reach for me. Given the marginal difference it would make compared to M&T or even biscuits, it won’t be happening anytime soon.

Old school cabinetmaking gives alternatives to dominos that are really quite adequate.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

I agree entirely and even the Domino at $1000 would be a huge reach for me. Given the marginal difference it would make compared to M&T or even biscuits, it won’t be happening anytime soon.

Old school cabinetmaking gives alternatives to dominos that are really quite adequate.

I have made a bunch of joints over the years building cabinets. And I have never used a domino. While I do think one would great to have. There are a lot of tools I could use first.

Ron

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I now have started a list of my Workshop Goals for 2017. I have a access to it on my phone & computer.

Good idea, I’ll put mine on Evernote.

Thanks I like Evernote. I use Google keep. But like it as much.

That’s number 1 on my list, too. Thanks for adding it to this thread.

Yup that is a good one. How could I have forgot it.

Greg

Work Smarter Not Harder

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

That’s always number one on the list.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

@ronw,
    I think a lot of us would like to make that No. 1 on the list. LOL

I for one am looking forward to better weather to spend more time out in the shop.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

In terms of skills, I have some smaller goals, but I need to dust off my CAD skills, and really learn either Sketch Up or Autodesk Fusion 360. I don’t think I will get into Festool, I can’t justify their proprietary systems (including sandpaper), and I still do old fashioned M&T, I already have an older General International Hollow chisel mortise, so I can wait on a domino like machine made by another manufacturer. Reading even the reviews of Festool on this site doesn’t always paint them in the best light, Mirka is a better sander, I prefer my glide over the Kapex (others have had issues with the Kapexes as well) Rant over. More dust to collect and skills to learn.

Will

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Closing in on one of my goals today. Kijiji coughed up a Unifence this morning, lets see if i can be first in line to bring it home.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Closing in on one of my goals today. Kijiji coughed up a Unifence this morning, lets see if i can be first in line to bring it home.

Good luck. I have always liked the Unifence. I like being able to use the short side ripping thinner stock.

Ron

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

Not much of a workshop goal, but I currently have my utility trailer in my garage and this spring/summer like the make a area to park the trailer outside (put patio square block where the tires would sit and where the wheel is on the tongue) and the open space in garage do some pallet projects.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Now we are 2 weeks in 2017. What are your Workshop goals for 2017.

What projects you would like to do?

What tools you would like to buy?

What would you like to learn?

Feel free to add more.

I would like work on getting my Workshop organized for better work flow.
    Build a Workbench /Assembly Table.
    Build Lathe stand and so I can get my lathe working.
    Rebuild my 2300 Beaver Band saw
    Build a sanding station for my sanders.

I don’t know of any tools I would like to buy as of now.

I would like learn Sketch up.

I sure I will think of some stuff as this threads goes on.

Well I am just wondering how things are going with your Workshop goals for 2017. I can it is going slow for me. I have started organizing my shop. But I am not there yet. I have attempted using sketch up few times. I had to many distractions while doing it some I stop and haven’t touched it in weeks.

Greg

Work Smarter Not Harder

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Thanks for reviving this thread, Greg. It’s good to keep track of goals.

The Unifence still eludes me, I was a couple of hours late to the party. I did manage to find a LA block plane, though. Storage is improving slowly but surely, the new under bench drawers will help a lot.

@pi_woodworker, I repurposed the old drawers from under my bench, added a set of casters and they are living quite happily now under my drill press. Thanks for that idea!

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Well I am just wondering how things are going with your Workshop goals for 2017. I can it is going slow for me. I have started organizing my shop. But I am not there yet. I have attempted using sketch up few times. I had to many distractions while doing it some I stop and haven’t touched it in weeks.

Hoping the weather starts to cooperate, if it isn’t cold, it’s raining. Makes for sore bones working out in the shop.

I really need to get the transmission updates put on then mounted into my car along with the engine. this will free up a ton of room for me to start a major re-org in the shop.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

well i applied for the summer position in the carpenters shop down at the university i worked at in 2011, it was facilities maintenance and i had a mobile kart to carry my tools on… there is quite a bit of down time so i think i might design and build a updated version of my mft thats more stream lined and smaller. it still have drawers for lboxxs what not but im going to eliminate the extending legs for a larger work surface

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 201 total)

The topic ‘What are your Workshop Goals for 2017’ is closed to new replies.

queries. 2.417 seconds