dcsimg

What are your Workshop Goals for 2017

This topic contains 200 replies, has 33 voices, and was last updated by  GTokley 11 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 201 total)
  • Author

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Now we are 2 weeks in 2017. What are your Workshop goals for 2017.

What projects you would like to do?

What tools you would like to buy?

What would you like to learn?

Feel free to add more.

I would like work on getting my Workshop organized for better work flow.
    Build a Workbench /Assembly Table.
    Build Lathe stand and so I can get my lathe working.
    Rebuild my 2300 Beaver Band saw
    Build a sanding station for my sanders.

I don’t know of any tools I would like to buy as of now.

I would like learn Sketch up.

I sure I will think of some stuff as this threads goes on.

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

Tools I would like to buy – a track saw.

Workshop goals….I am hoping to build a small addition onto my garage/shop so I can get lawn equipment, motorcycles, etc out of the shop area to create more room.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Housewright Construction

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Good thread, Greg, it will be interesting to compare notes toward the end of the year.

Workshop storage is always changing for me. I plan to continue to improve the way space is utilised in the shop. The workshop improvement thread has given me some good ideas.

I would like to trade the Jet Lock fence on my Unisaw for a Unifence; they are really hard to find. Maybe add a couple of hand planes to the collection; a shoulder plane and a LA block plane would be nice.

https://www.instagram.com/woodiworkshop/

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

A CNC machine. Problem is, I don’t have a place to put it other than an unheated building. Then there’s also the issue of parting with what I figure is $10-12K CDA to get one.

Aside from that biggee….

– Finishing some shelving and storage in my shop.

– Go thru some tools I haven’t used in years and figure out what I should do with them.

– Add some light in an area of my shop that is a bit darker than I would like.

– Create some custom fit foam inlays in some drawers for my plane collection.

– Learn how to properly use all the aforementioned planes. Doh!

– Paint/finish some cabinetry and work stands I left unfinished.

– Find a bag of crack I forgot where I hid in my shop before somebody else does. 😅

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

Finish my storage unit that I started.

More insulation and osb on the walls.

Move lumber storage and re-arrange a few things

I want to build a work bench. I keep calling it something Roubo-esque. Simple construction of 2 big slabs for the top and a base of big wood under it. A leg vise and a shelf. Some dog holes.

I have been thinking of a 6 board bench. Kind of a bucket list item.

I am sure there are a few other things, stuff for the grandson on the way.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Finish my home workshop reorganization.

Pickup some 18v batteries and perhaps another l-boxx.

Put a big dent in the accumulated wood I have for turning.

Make my mother a rotating picture puzzle caddie.

Finish up some stools I started 2 ago.

Build an end table for the family room.

Maybe purchase a new, more capable band saw.

Warren6810
    Pro
    Akron, OH

Already bought a small planer a couple weeks ago. I think things will really come together when that little Festool sander arrives in February, or is it March?

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I really want to totally reorganize my shop layout. Ever since I upgraded to the glide miter saw, my flow is all off… plus I think I’m going to be switching to more live woods (rounds, slabs, etc) and smaller things to sell so I want to change how my shop works to allow more efficient storage and working space. And a big goal for me is to make things that are fully finished – up to this point the majority of the items I build are left raw, and I’d really like to change that.

Thanks for starting this thread @gtokley, I’m curious to see what else (especially the ever present storage issues) everyone else wants to accomplish this year.

Charlie

Instagram

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

workshop wise..

possibly build more streamlined storage for my gear as its always expanding or changing .. possibly cabinets with drawers that i can store lboxxs..

also i have to build shelving in the cold room sooner than later,

trick and skills wise i want to refine my scribes and maybe get more involved in finished hardwood stair installs. railings have always been a head scratcher for me in the sense of being efficient and accurate

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

Clev08
    Pro

I would like to finish building all the shelves and clamp racks to hang on the wall and get some of my large wood scraps milled into some usable pieces.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

@smallerstick,@cmeyer25 You welcome. I thought this would be interesting to start. Plus I thought this might help me with some ideas and motivate me.

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Tools I’d like to buy

The new 18V LED lighting from either RIDGID or Milwaukee

Also the new RIDGID 18V router and belt sander.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

First thing would be to finish my workbench, which is about 80% done. Just too cold these days.

My bandsaw just needs a few things to be tweaked. I want to add brushes to the tires.

This is the year that the engine and transmission will get put back in my car. Finally picked up a new crossmember. That will then free up some space so I can start organizing my space better.

Been thinking of moving my 60GAL compressor right into the corner and on top of a stand so I can use the space to store my welder.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

To buy – bigger bandsaw and track saw

To Build – kid-sized, adjustable height workbench for my son

To do – build more oxygen concentrator stands and start selling them to an aging market

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Good thread,

De clutter de clutter the garage / shop.
    Finish building the pull out storage for my L boxes under my long work table.
    Build a small mezzanine shelves in my pool shed for storage

Then add new lighting in the garage, plus try to build the mpt table from the plans I bought from Dan and Andrew,

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

well Mine is to find a new workshop and house and that is first and foremost on the list. After that it’ll be all the knick knacky things. I know i’ll have to make a few more cutting boards as they are always in demand, work on some knives and perhaps finally drill the holes in to the workbench.

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Palm Desert, CA

I’d like to reorganize my shop.

I’d really like to make a final decision on which wood I need to keep and what I can toss. I feel like I’m owned by my scrap wood.

I’d like to make a dedicated bench for my router table and equipment. It’s too difficult to use the router table where it’s sitting now – on my current workbench.

Pat

I forgot, I need a new clamp rack….and a couple of new handles on some old chisels….never ending small things that I keep forgetting.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

I’d like to reorganize my shop.

I’d really like to make a final decision on which wood I need to keep and what I can toss. I feel like I’m owned by my scrap wood.

I’d like to make a dedicated bench for my router table and equipment. It’s too difficult to use the router table where it’s sitting now – on my current workbench.

I hear you. I finally made the decision to make a scrap bin. If it fits, I keep it. When the bin is full, I go through it and make room, either by trashing some, or by making a small project or shop jig.

A friend of mine had a huge ash tree taken down in his yard about 3 years ago. I had the local Sawmill shop board the trunk out for me. The wood is beautiful and has been drying in a barn. I plan on building a dinning room table this winter for my buddies cabin. I am hoping to use a butterfly leaf in it. Wish me luck.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 201 total)

The topic ‘What are your Workshop Goals for 2017’ is closed to new replies.

queries. 2.883 seconds