dcsimg

What are your favorite hand tool brands?

Tagged: 

Viewing 17 posts - 121 through 137 (of 137 total)
  • Author

After going to a lie Nielson show this weekend o have a new favorite hand tool brand

What are saving for? Their planes are amazing and comparable to the Veritas line of planes.

While I do have one Lie Nielsen block plane that I really like, if I was someone who used hand planes all the time I would much rather spend the money on something from Veritas/Lee Valley.

Lie Nielsen is very nice but their designs are based mostly on old Stanley designs for the most part. It is good to see Lee Valley coming up with their own upgrades to these old tools and all the custom options they have on their new tools makes them tailored exactly how they will fit the user best.

i don’t know how i miss this, but i have lie nielsen low angle block plane and i love it. but you are right veritas has some really nice interesting designs. I would mind having this one

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=61963&cat=1,41182,48942

I would like to road test one of those one day but I couldn’t see myself shelling out that kind of coin. The old Stanley models are some of the most durable and reliable hand tools that have ever been made.

I agree that LV has taken the Stanley designs to a new level but, personally, I don’t see the need to invest in them. Do they make you a better craftsman or improve the quality of your work?

Compared to modern big box hand planes? Yes, they do

They come with a flat bottom, a correct edge, and hold an edge for a long time. Someone who doesn’t know a plane will try a garbage one, and will give up because they think its too hard to use

An old (pre ww2) stanley bailey or record will be just as good for cheap, but may take lots of work to rehab, which may be beyond someone who doesnt already know how a well tuned plane is supposed to work

Give me a Veritas or Lie Nielson any day – they are expensive, but they work perfectly right out of the box, even for a rookie. And I have not found anyone else who makes something like the high angle jack planes – insane for tough grain patterns (of course, you could just use card scrapers or sanders, but its not the same)

In this single case, I will say that a good craftsman can get a passable tool into good shape, but that a rookie or DIY homeowner cannot use the lower grade stuff to any real results. LN and Veritas charge a premium for something that Just Works

Im happy with my old rehabbed garage sale finds, but my LN block plane, and my Veritas Smoother are my two best planes by far. They helped me to realize how a plane should feel, which gave me the context to better tune the other ones

Thanks, Eric, I really should get out more. I really need to work with one or 2 of those quality planes a lot more to see just what the difference is. I’m shopping for a low angle block plane right now so maybe the time is right.

I love my Lie Nielson block plane. I do kind of regret not getting the shoulder version, where the blade goes all the way to the edge – good for cleaning up tenons. Maybe that one is next

Either way, this is pure joy, even if I am taking thick shavings here

Combination block plane/ shoulder plane? Now you have my interest! I need both of those but, of course, can’t afford 2 new planes. Gonna google that and see what I can find.

This one

https://www.lie-nielsen.com/product/block-planes/rabbet-block-plane-w-nicker?node=4072

My next big plane purchase will be either a low angle jack or a low angle jointer plane – or a scraper plane, since I already have lots of old jacks and jointers in good shape

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

This one

https://www.lie-nielsen.com/product/block-planes/rabbet-block-plane-w-nicker?node=4072

My next big plane purchase will be either a low angle jack or a low angle jointer plane – or a scraper plane, since I already have lots of old jacks and jointers in good shape

I was in LV today to get a handle for my bench vise and had a look at the block planes. I think I was most impressed with their little apron plane; that would be in almost constant use in my shop. Ended up getting a new blade for my Stanley #80 scraper plane — what a huge difference and I haven’t even tuned it yet!

That LN block/rabbet plane is on my wish list for sure now.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

a buddy has the apron plane and loves it.. ive thought about buying one but for the amount i use a block plane its too much $$$$

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

woodman_412

I have that plane without the nicker and I love it. I’ve had it for years and it comes in very handy for doing joinery and trimming jobs.

I have the LN bronze block plane that I keep in my tool bag for using on site. I like the bronze because you don’t have to worry about rust on the body.

Dan

danpattison.com

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

I really like starret, I have a square that is about 100 years old that I use everyday.

Starrett is the best. And, unlike many companies, whenever you read the Starrett brand you KNOW it’s a quality tool. Could be 100 years old or a week old. Compared to Stanley etc, where the old steel is a delight but their newer tools are somewhat lacking (although as mentioned before, with a little know-how you can get the new stuff to purr just like the pre-war era planes).

I have that plane without the nicker and I love it. I’ve had it for years and it comes in very handy for doing joinery and trimming jobs.

I have the LN bronze block plane that I keep in my tool bag for using on site. I like the bronze because you don’t have to worry about rust on the body.

All this peer pressure got me to rehab an old Record #4

I wish I had a before pic, but it was rusted, the blade was chipped, the handle (tote) and knob were losing a bad paint job, and were splattered with some drips of white paint

Sanding the tote, I could smell half a century of smoking – really impregnated the wood

The plane is now back in working oder, and shaving thin translucent ribbons. As good as any plane, after a few hours work and a good plane to compare against

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

I have a Mitutoyu square set that is just a beauty. I have a couple of older english made ones with brass and wood handles I like, and a couple I made. I went through a phase with looking for squares, got obsessed, I am a bit better now.

I also like all my pre WWll planes. Stanley and Record. I still need more practice with them. The 078 Rebate and Filletster plane in kinda neat too.

I am also very fond of my Narex bench chisels. Very nice to use and hold a pretty good edge.

I use a saw bench almost every time I do a project. It is the one from “Billy’s Little Bench” and is really handy.

Have not had any use with my Veritas saws yet. Tried a few cuts and they are a world apart from the crap I was getting by with before. I have some tennoning planned.

I like my Gramercy holdfasts too. I am planning a bench build inside my little noggin and they will eventually live there. I am not sure if you would count that as a hand tool, but I would.

I got an old wood handled hammer that I got from my Dad’s toolbox when I was a kid. It was pretty old then and I don’t use it much, but it is still has a favoured place on the wall. It feels really nice in the hand.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

woodman_412

I wish I had a before pic, but it was rusted, the blade was chipped, the handle (tote) and knob were losing a bad paint job, and were splattered with some drips of white paint

Sanding the tote, I could smell half a century of smoking – really impregnated the wood

The plane is now back in working oder, and shaving thin translucent ribbons. As good as any plane, after a few hours work and a good plane to compare against

Nice job on the restore Eric. Always nice to see new life put into an old plane and seeing it be used again. I wish I still did as much hand planing as I used to…just not the same type of projects anymore in the shop. Hard to hand plane melamine and MDF.

Dan

danpattison.com

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Beautiful job on the Record, Eric. A #4 is probably the most versatile plane in the shop.

I have a Stanley Bailey #3 that belonged to my father that needs some attention; maybe one day soon I can get to it.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

how about i send you a new tote? wouldn’t you want one without the smell of smoke on it?

Nice job on the restore Eric. Always nice to see new life put into an old plane and seeing it be used again. I wish I still did as much hand planing as I used to…just not the same type of projects anymore in the shop. Hard to hand plane melamine and MDF.

Thanks Dan! That really wouldn’t be fun at all.

Beautiful job on the Record, Eric. A #4 is probably the most versatile plane in the shop.

I have a Stanley Bailey #3 that belonged to my father that needs some attention; maybe one day soon I can get to it.

Thanks Peter! I agree, I love my other 4s (a veritas, another record, and an old handyman converted to scrub plane). Not sure what I will do with this one, but its a good tool. If nothing else, I like to sometimes have a couple of sharp ones ready to go, so I dont have to sharpen until the project is done.

I only have a single 3, but its a Stanley Defiance, so not the best plane. Its the one Im teaching my son on. For his 4 year old hands, its pretty much a jack or fore plane. You really should fix it up when you get a chance. Restoring (aesthetically restoring to original looks too) is hard, but getting it tuned for service is easy and fun. Having the family element only makes it that much more meaningful.

how about i send you a new tote? wouldn’t you want one without the smell of smoke on it?

Very kind Aaron, but I want to keep this one. Its seen heavy and its gotten the tote worn perfectly comfortable. Right now, the coat of witches brew is completely sealing in the smell, but if I have to, I can make a nice thick cut of shellac to seal it fully

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

That is about as good as they come. Nice tool, and ready for a couple of life times worth of service.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Doobie

Nice restore/rescue Eric. I can tel you enjoy doing that. Wish I had the time and skills to do that. I envy you for that.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Tajima makes some nice tool too.

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

I have had a couple of their chalk boxes, and can attest to them being really nice. Just not sure they are $30 nice.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Eric very nice job on the restore. The handle and knob really came out nice.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I have had a couple of their chalk boxes, and can attest to them being really nice. Just not sure they are $30 nice.

I seem to pick them up on sale @ about 22$. Chalk boxes do seem to break a lot..

Viewing 17 posts - 121 through 137 (of 137 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.486 seconds