dcsimg

What are your favorite hand tool brands?

Tagged: 

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 137 total)
  • Author

Anyone have luck with Harbor Freight hand tools .

For anything I need to rely on for precision I stay away from the HF stuff, but I have some pry bars, wire brushes and things that work fine.

My cousin buys there power tools . He says it’s cheaper then buying it name brand and that he doesn’t use them every day .

Always willing to learn .

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

I have a 2 ft empire level and am going to get a 4 footer soon, I would rather have a heavy level that doesn’t bend. Any recommendations?

Stabila.

http://www.stabila.com/products/levels/type-196

I second that.

You may find it hard to justify the price at first, but it is totally worth it.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I have a 2 ft empire level and am going to get a 4 footer soon, I would rather have a heavy level that doesn’t bend. Any recommendations?

Stabila.

I second that.

it wasn’t that bad, i bought mine when they had a sale. They also had even better sales when you go to the shows they offer.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Anyone have luck with Harbor Freight hand tools .

For anything I need to rely on for precision I stay away from the HF stuff, but I have some pry bars, wire brushes and things that work fine.

My cousin buys there power tools . He says it’s cheaper then buying it name brand and that he doesn’t use them every day .

Similar to our Princess Auto, their brand (power fist) you do not want if you want precision but they do have some brand name items at great prices. Also a return policy on their stuff that is second to none.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

yellaD
    Pro

I agree with @Clev08, anything where I care about the finish or precision I avoid (HF) Princess Auto or CT here in Canada. If it’s something I’m gonna use to bang, push, pull or throw away…I love those places for that stuff.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

I am obviously agreeing with the trend. There are places you want precision and quality and places where it is not such a priority. I don’t think you can beat some of the sales Canadian Tire has at times. When you get things for under 1/2 price, how can you argue? I got my compressor that way and I got my tap/die set that way too. I have to also say that the old style Mastercraft screwdrivers I got have really comfortable grips. I like them better than any Snap-On screwdriver that I have had, and they seem to be holding up well.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Doobie

Similar to our Princess Auto, their brand (power fist) you do not want if you want precision but they do have some brand name items at great prices. Also a return policy on their stuff that is second to none.

That’s my experience with them as well.

I actually shunned them for the longest time thinking they just sold junk, plain and simple. I learned over time that their stuff has it’s place and they are hard to beat on some things you don’t need to pay more for otherwise.

And that returns policy is fantastic for a place that sells stuff like that, it’s rather surprising. How if HF in that regard in the US?

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

That’s my experience with them as well.

I actually shunned them for the longest time thinking they just sold junk, plain and simple. I learned over time that their stuff has it’s place and they are hard to beat on some things you don’t need to pay more for otherwise.

And that returns policy is fantastic for a place that sells stuff like that, it’s rather surprising. How if HF in that regard in the US?

Here is my problem with their return policy, i hate to have to use it. It just shows you will probably have to use the policy as their hand tools don’t really hold up. I bought one of their powerfist pliers, as i was using them the rubber grip comes flying off. I had to find time to return them and get a new one, sometimes i just want one that is perfect no nonsense.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

I guess it is pretty common knowledge that I like Stanley hand tools. Pre WW2 ones in particular.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Going to a lie Nielson show this weekend. Those are some nice tools. To bad I would have to sell a kidney to buy some of their stuff.

Clev08
    Pro

Stabila.

I second that.

@woodsconstruction
    @BeardedCarpenter just curious in your opinions, in what ways are they better? More durable? Precise?

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Stabila.

I second that.

woodsconstruction BeardedCarpenter just curious in your opinions, in what ways are they better? More durable? Precise?

@Clev08
    There was a whole thread on them last summer. They are constructed much better than other levels.

http://bethepro.com/forums/topic/stabilas/

I am really liking the WERA Screwdriver I have. The grip is nice and well built.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Stabila.

I second that.

@woodsconstruction @BeardedCarpenter just curious in your opinions, in what ways are they better? More durable? Precise?

they are precise and stay precise longer than your mastercraft type ones, where they end up warping out and just a mess after you use it for a few jobs.

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

Stabila.

I second that.

@woodsconstruction @BeardedCarpenter just curious in your opinions, in what ways are they better? More durable? Precise?

They are deadly accurate and stay that way. I dropped a Stanly and a Stabilla the same distance, about 30 ft to concrete. Both basically fell the same way out of my genie lift too. Stanly was dented, one bubble was broken completely, and the other two were off. The Stabilla needed me to tap the rubber end cap back on and it was good to go. I checked it with 3 other levels because I couldn’t believe it.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

After going to a lie Nielson show this weekend o have a new favorite hand tool brand

Clev08
    Pro

Thank you for all the input I will start saving up

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

After going to a lie Nielson show this weekend o have a new favorite hand tool brand

What are saving for? Their planes are amazing and comparable to the Veritas line of planes.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I guess it is pretty common knowledge that I like Stanley hand tools. Pre WW2 ones in particular.

Stanley was making some fine tools in that era JDO. Very nice to collect that stuff.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

What are saving for? Their planes are amazing and comparable to the Veritas line of planes.

About 4 more bevel chisels a low angle block plane a chisel plane and shoulder plane

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

I’m pretty brand specific when I buy tools, and it depends on the trade. I love my trade, and take it very seriously, so I never buy cheap tools.

For Electrical, I stick with Klein pretty much exclusively, and Fluke for test equipment. Klein is also my brand for screwdrivers and nut drivers.

Plumbing, it’s Ridgid, and ChannelLock, mostly.

Tape measure, I like the Stanley Fatmax Extreme, and I also use the new Milwaukee.

Levels, I much prefer Stabila. I have a TruBlu Empire, and it’s very nice, but Stabila is better.

Since I don’t use sockets that much, I just have an older Craftsman set, and GearWrenches added on to it.

For Timber-Framing, I get chisels made by Barr Tools, up in Idaho. Very good quality, and a little pricey.

MarshallTown for concrete and drywall.

Purdeys for painting.

Even things like speed squares and chalk boxes, I get Swanson and Tajima. I don’t think I own a single generic hardware store brand of anything.

I’ve never been able to bring myself to purchase anything from HF. I can’t possibly see how that could end well.

Delta

Goin' Down In Flames........

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 137 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.654 seconds