dcsimg

What are your favorite hand tool brands?

Tagged: 

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 137 total)
  • Author
    r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

However my favourite of all my harbor freight tools is my speed jack for the car

What is the speed jack?

speed jack, racing jack.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/15-ton-compact-aluminum-racing-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-60569.html

i love it and i bought it on sale for around 60 bucks usd at the time. I wouldn’t hesitate in buying another one for my truck. I need one to change out my winter tires as i don’t have a lift and @58chev won’t have a lift soon.

Clev08
    Pro

Anyone have luck with Harbor Freight hand tools .

For anything I need to rely on for precision I stay away from the HF stuff, but I have some pry bars, wire brushes and things that work fine.

Doobie

For anything I need to rely on for precision I stay away from the HF stuff, but I have some pry bars, wire brushes and things that work fine.

We have a very similar retailer here in Canada called Princess Auto. It’s hit and miss on a lot of stuff, but I’d never view anything they sell as high quality.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Oh the one pump racing jack. Those are pretty nice.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

However my favourite of all my harbor freight tools is my speed jack for the car

What is the speed jack?

speed jack, racing jack.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/15-ton-compact-aluminum-racing-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-60569.html

i love it and i bought it on sale for around 60 bucks usd at the time. I wouldn’t hesitate in buying another one for my truck. I need one to change out my winter tires as i don’t have a lift and 58chev won’t have a lift soon.

That jack is ok for a small car not for a truck. 1.5 Ton jack is not something I would want in my garage.

I have a 3 Ton that I bought at Costco, not a quick lift one but it does the job I need it to do.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

it works amazingly well, i had bought a few prior to the Harbor freight one and this one ended up being the one i kept. I had bought one from Costco the torin brand and that didn’t end up working as well as this one. Neither did the one i bought from Canadian tire, couldn’t remember the brand.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

That they are. I have a Craftsman 3 ton that takes way to many pumps to raise anything.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

BeardedCarpenter
    Pro
    Winsted, CT

I have and use many brands of hand tools. Here are a few that stand out:

Stiletto hammers
    FaxMax tapes and chalk lines
    Stabila levels (though all I have is the torpedo)
    older Craftsman wrenches and sockets
    Strarrett measuring tools

I’ve also been disappointed with some brands recently. I thought Swanson was a decent brand for measuring tools, so I bought a speed square, a combination square, 12″ and 24″ framing squares. I like the speed square and use it every day, but the combination square and the 12″ framing square have a key defect: they are not square. So that’s a problem. My dad warned me and said there’s no way a $12 combination square is any good. And now the Swanson is dead weight and I use his Starrett. Live and learn.

Check out the Epic youTube thread for my post re: How square is your square. :)

I couldn’t find you’re post in the Epic youTube thread, but I did find the video on youtube. It was interesting. I did that test between the Starrett and Swanson, and the Swanson was way off, like not even in the ballpark. The Starrett was much better.

Yesterday I did a little test in Home Depot with some Empire square. I took a few tri-squares, 12″ framing squares, and combination squares, and put them up against each other to compare squareness. I checked three combination squares and got three different results. Two were slightly off, and one was actually quite good.

I bet it’s a quality control issue. If you tested a dozen Starretts you’d probably find more good copies than you would from a dozen Empires, or Swansons, Johnsons, etc.

Bottom line, test before you buy.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I couldn’t find you’re post in the Epic youTube thread, but I did find the video on youtube. It was interesting. I did that test between the Starrett and Swanson, and the Swanson was way off, like not even in the ballpark. The Starrett was much better.

Yesterday I did a little test in Home Depot with some Empire square. I took a few tri-squares, 12″ framing squares, and combination squares, and put them up against each other to compare squareness. I checked three combination squares and got three different results. Two were slightly off, and one was actually quite good.

I bet it’s a quality control issue. If you tested a dozen Starretts you’d probably find more good copies than you would from a dozen Empires, or Swansons, Johnsons, etc.

Bottom line, test before you buy.

I have found the same thing with some squares. I have a few hanging that I’ll never use again because they are not square.
    They’ll end up in the lawn sale pile eventually. Same goes for drywall squares I think I went through about 4 before finding one that was true.

— Glenn Botting

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

I bought a 12″ combo square from home Depot that was square at the time but some how the next day it wasn’t so I exchanged it and the Dame think happened so then I just got my money back and shelled out 90 bucks for a starret. I loved that thing until it walked off the job. But my grandpa gave me an old combo square that is just as good if not better than the starret. I am sure it’s older than me. Made back when everything was made right.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

My Gyokucho dozuki saw is so sweet. It’s my first experience with a Japanese pull saw and it has won me over. I will be getter more.

Definitely need some pics of that one

Here u go bruh! It comes apart so you can get replacement blades instead of sharpening.

Obviously I Would love Lie Nielsen everything, but I don’t need the luxury. 🙂

I have one of those on my want list, Some are very pricey and there are others that are very reasonable. For me, just starting out with some woodworking. I don’t need a high end one.

— Glenn Botting

rylim
    Pro
    Missouri City, Texas

My favorite ratchet will be Snap On, Gedore, Stahwille, and Hazet.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

My Gyokucho dozuki saw is so sweet. It’s my first experience with a Japanese pull saw and it has won me over. I will be getter more.

Definitely need some pics of that one

Here u go bruh! It comes apart so you can get replacement blades instead of sharpening.

Obviously I Would love Lie Nielsen everything, but I don’t need the luxury. :)

I have one of those on my want list, Some are very pricey and there are others that are very reasonable. For me, just starting out with some woodworking. I don’t need a high end one.

I have a similar gyokucho (Ryoba) with one side having rip teeth, the other crosscut. Very nice saw. Cheaper than you’d think, too. For other hand tools, it varies by tool. Some brands I implicitly trust: Stanley (old planes, not the new ones), Channel Lock, Veritas, Lie-Nielsen, Jet clamps, Jorgensen clamps.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

We have a very similar retailer here in Canada called Princess Auto. It’s hit and miss on a lot of stuff, but I’d never view anything they sell as high quality.

That is true. It is the “Canadian” Harbor Freight. Some stuff is good, but stay away from others. My son is picking me up a couple of Empire combo squares for me there, which, while not a Starrett, are only 10% of the Starrett price and have a pretty good reputation. I have picked up a few things like tape measures and needle files there too. Good enough for their intended purpose.

I like going through Forest City Surplus and KW Surplus too. Things like plastic loom ties, UHMW, dividers, and other items are just fine from any of these places. If you want fine quality, probably not your first choice, but on some things you can get away with saving a few bucks.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

regarding princess auto.. the stuff they regularly stock mostly is low quality.. but every now and then they get some special buy items of pro grade tools.. last year they had the rol-air bull and jc-10 compressors. theyve also had hitachi framing guns and compressors

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

yellaD
    Pro

Here u go bruh! It comes apart so you can get replacement blades instead of sharpening

That looks awesome, I’m afraid to ask what it costs

I’m lucky in that my cousin lives in Japan and brought that back for me. I have also contacted Gyokucho directly and spoke with a rep who said they’d ship direct to me for a fraction of Lee Valley’s prices if I bought a few saws. My cousin ended up finding the saw in their BB store (called Tokyu Hands lol) to bring for me instead of me ordering a bunch. So everytime he comes back to Toronto, I hound him to bring some Japanese steel. “Silky” brand is also excellent!!

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

I’m personally all over the place with hand tools. I will never deviate from stiletto for my hammer though!

I prefer Stabila for levels, but will admit to having a few Stanly and DeWalt that I have no issues with. Klein for electrical tools and testers, and Ive been dabbling into DeWalt and Milwaukee hand tools lately too.

However if you look at any of my sockets, wrenches, and screw drivers – all Mastercraft. You just cant beat buying tool sets at 90% off for $20 and having a lifetime guarantee.

Clev08
    Pro

I have a 2 ft empire level and am going to get a 4 footer soon, I would rather have a heavy level that doesn’t bend. Any recommendations?

BeardedCarpenter
    Pro
    Winsted, CT

I have a 2 ft empire level and am going to get a 4 footer soon, I would rather have a heavy level that doesn’t bend. Any recommendations?

Stabila.

http://www.stabila.com/products/levels/type-196

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I’m not too picky when it comes to different brands of hand tools , As long as the tool works properly and doesn’t cost a fortune then that is all that matters to me . I do prefer certain tools over others as long as the price is right .

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 137 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.672 seconds