dcsimg

What are your favorite hand tool brands?

Tagged: 

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 137 total)
  • Author

Anyone have luck with Harbor Freight hand tools .

Always willing to learn .

My favorite hand tool brand is Snap-on. I have a lot of their stuff. Really nice well made basic hand tools.

i agree , but have spread the money all around lately ,
    even S K have some nice open end wrenches

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

The older Craftsman hand tools were good. I don’t know what they are like now. I stopped going to Sears a long time ago when quality fell off and service got so poor.

I had some old Williams and Grey branded sockets that were good too. I don’t think they are made any more, but you come across them for sale used now and then. All of them got stolen when someone broke into my shed and took my tool chest about 20 years ago. Including a 1/2″ drive Snap On ratchet….price one of those these days (edit….I looked it up and it’s about $170 USD). I have never replaced it and didn’t have insurance.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I had some old Williams and Grey branded sockets that were good too. I don’t think they are made any more, but you come across them for sale used now and then.

@JimDaddyO
    Grey is still around and still proudly making their tools right here in Canada.
    Great tools I have a few old socket sets.
    http://www.graytools.com/ourstory/betterHandTools.shtml
    Had them send me some stickers a while back and a catalog.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Big fan of bridge city tool works, having owned a few of their tools, it is just perfection and if something is off, it generally is the user. I loved the joint maker

I’ve never seen BCT at my local tool shop.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Big fan of bridge city tool works, having owned a few of their tools, it is just perfection and if something is off, it generally is the user. I loved the joint maker

I’ve never seen BCT at my local tool shop.

I don’t think you will. They are a boutique item. Check out their web site. Where art and functionality meet. Stunning tools!

http://www.bridgecitytools.com/

The older Craftsman hand tools were good. I don’t know what they are like now. I stopped going to Sears a long time ago when quality fell off and service got so poor.

I had some old Williams and Grey branded sockets that were good too. I don’t think they are made any more, but you come across them for sale used now and then. All of them got stolen when someone broke into my shed and took my tool chest about 20 years ago. Including a 1/2″ drive Snap On ratchet….price one of those these days (edit….I looked it up and it’s about $170 USD). I have never replaced it and didn’t have insurance.

Craftsman hand tools were the tops about 20 years ago . When Home Depot and Lowes really came about nation wide they took a hit and I believe they lowered there steel material for hand tools

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Like all of their tools they are hit or miss. If you are willing to take that gamble but its not an expensive gamble. One of the guys at work bought a cats paw from them for 99 cents I dont know how but the thing would not pull a nail. like the one thing it was designed to do it couldnt do it.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

For sockets, back in the day, we used to tap a couple of them together and if the “rang” it was an indication of good metal used.

Like all of their tools they are hit or miss. If you are willing to take that gamble but its not an expensive gamble. One of the guys at work bought a cats paw from them for 99 cents I dont know how but the thing would not pull a nail. like the one thing it was designed to do it couldnt do it.

That’s to funny . Did he throw the tool out .

yellaD
    Pro

My Gyokucho dozuki saw is so sweet. It’s my first experience with a Japanese pull saw and it has won me over. I will be getter more.

Definitely need some pics of that one

Here u go bruh! It comes apart so you can get replacement blades instead of sharpening.

Obviously I Would love Lie Nielsen everything, but I don’t need the luxury. 🙂

BeardedCarpenter
    Pro
    Winsted, CT

I have and use many brands of hand tools. Here are a few that stand out:

Stiletto hammers
    FaxMax tapes and chalk lines
    Stabila levels (though all I have is the torpedo)
    older Craftsman wrenches and sockets
    Strarrett measuring tools

I’ve also been disappointed with some brands recently. I thought Swanson was a decent brand for measuring tools, so I bought a speed square, a combination square, 12″ and 24″ framing squares. I like the speed square and use it every day, but the combination square and the 12″ framing square have a key defect: they are not square. So that’s a problem. My dad warned me and said there’s no way a $12 combination square is any good. And now the Swanson is dead weight and I use his Starrett. Live and learn.

yellaD
    Pro

I have and use many brands of hand tools. Here are a few that stand out:

Stiletto hammers
    FaxMax tapes and chalk lines
    Stabila levels (though all I have is the torpedo)
    older Craftsman wrenches and sockets
    Strarrett measuring tools

I’ve also been disappointed with some brands recently. I thought Swanson was a decent brand for measuring tools, so I bought a speed square, a combination square, 12″ and 24″ framing squares. I like the speed square and use it every day, but the combination square and the 12″ framing square have a key defect: they are not square. So that’s a problem. My dad warned me and said there’s no way a $12 combination square is any good. And now the Swanson is dead weight and I use his Starrett. Live and learn.

Check out the Epic youTube thread for my post re: How square is your square. 🙂

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Here u go bruh! It comes apart so you can get replacement blades instead of sharpening

That looks awesome, I’m afraid to ask what it costs

I picked up a Brown and Sharpe dial caliper years ago, and the thing is just super quality. Highly recommended to anyone. It has rarely needed even the finest adjustment.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Yep it was pretty much a paper weight

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I have. Depends on the tool. I have a complete set of the HF composite ratchets and like them. They feature a slight bend in the ratchet for clearance and work well. They also have a combination 1/4″ / 3/8″ ratchet that is really neat. Real long too for extra torque. On my tool board in the garage attached to the house i have HF “Gear Wrench” sets in SAE and Metric and they work.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I have. Depends on the tool. I have a complete set of the HF composite ratchets and like them. They feature a slight bend in the ratchet for clearance and work well. They also have a combination 1/4″ / 3/8″ ratchet that is really neat. Real long too for extra torque. On my tool board in the garage attached to the house i have HF “Gear Wrench” sets in SAE and Metric and they work.

I have and some of the tools are good as theamcguy says, and some are unbuyable. However my favourite of all my harbor freight tools is my speed jack for the car. The thing is amazing and i wish the dollar was better as i’d go back to get the large height version.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

However my favourite of all my harbor freight tools is my speed jack for the car

What is the speed jack?

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Yep it was pretty much a paper weight

Harbour Freight, Canadian Tire, Princess Auto and many other retailers like that have their winners and losers. It’s really a crap shoot to know what to buy from them. It’s forums like this one that really help us to sort out the junk from the good stuff.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 137 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.528 seconds