dcsimg

What are you saving up for? Version 9

Viewing 20 posts - 401 through 420 (of 1,023 total)
  • Author
    r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

oh yah, i just ordered it, can’t wait for it to get here. I was originally going to go buy a mirka or festool but if the bosch works just as well as them, i’ll be extremely happy. i’ll have to do a review and it’ll probably blow my porter cable one out of the water. I am not so invested in the 5 inch discs so i am not too worried.

Once you do your review, I think this sander/polisher has jumped up a few notches on my list.

yah i will definitely put it through it’s paces, it’ll be interesting how well it works combined with the vac90s. I can’t wait to see how well it hogs though wood.

thanks Bill, couldn’t remember if you did or not, have you had a chance to try it out.

Yes I have used it and like it. It gets into some tight areas and has more than enough power to do the job. Works great and if you need a right angle driver the Bosch will do the job.

Thank you Bill, great to know , it is definitely one tool I will add later on.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

still not totally sold on that new 12″ some of the features on it seem like they could be problematic. i am saving for a saw but right now im looking at either the 10″ axial glide or hte csm8

What do you think could be problematic on the 12″ Glide jkirk?

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

This tool will go through a PVC pipe faster the recip saw (pocket or saber)

But how clean is the cut?

Doobie

Been lookin now at the half inch socket ready impact for after I get the half sheet sander. I’m still confused on which one is the best type for me though.

https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschtools-ocs/impact-wrenches-23513-c/

You know what I realized was not on the prize list? Power planers. Anybody recall if any ever were?

https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschtools-ocs/planers-23417-c/

Been lookin now at the half inch socket ready impact for after I get the half sheet sander. I’m still confused on which one is the best type for me though.

You know what I realized was not on the prize list? Power planers. Anybody recall if any ever were?

The impact, well it depends on what you want to do with it, the type of work, for driving screws and the occasional bolts or lags, I would go with the IDH182, but for heavy torque, the IWHT180-01,

Well since I became a member, I have never seen the cordless planner on the list, I have the older ni-cad version, and love it. If they actually do add the new lithium, it’s a tool I will definitely go for.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

This tool will go through a PVC pipe faster the recip saw (pocket or saber)

But how clean is the cut?

PVC is very soft and the cut is not jagged at all. Clean? Oh it’s very clean.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Doobie

The impact, well it depends on what you want to do with it, the type of work, for driving screws and the occasional bolts or lags, I would go with the IDH182, but for heavy torque, the IWHT180-01,

I was also looking at what they term “Impact Wrenches”. The torgue is rated at one third versus the impacts, but they state that it is ideal for lag screws and stuff like that. I don’t understand what the difference between the two types are.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I don’t believe one has ever been on the list.

Ron

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Well since I became a member, I have never seen the cordless planner on the list, I have the older ni-cad version, and love it. If they actually do add the new lithium, it’s a tool I will definitely go for.

Funny, I was looking at the planers yesterday. They would be a nice addition.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Doobie

I was also looking at what they term “Impact Wrenches”. The torgue is rated at one third versus the impacts, but they state that it is ideal for lag screws and stuff like that. I don’t understand what the difference between the two types are.

Correction!!! I just looked more closely at the specs. Didn’t notice this at all bouncing from one product webpage to another since last night, but when you have them all lined up side by side in the Bosch physical catalog on pages 82-83 it becomes much more evident. The smaller body impact drivers have max torque of 1600 in/lbs. The uglier looking larger body impact wrenches have a 500 FOOT/Lb rating. The impact wrenches are basically 6000 inch lbs. That makes a lot more sense as to why the impact wrenches have such a larger tool body than the impact drivers. Now that’s power! Almost four times the torque power in a high torque wrench versus the highest rated impact driver.

I also called up Bosch and got transferred to a technician. I needed to get educated on the differences in the different models on a variety of things. I couldn’t understand what was the diff between the friction ring style and the detent pin style. Basically he said that the friction ring style makes it easier to swap from one socket to another. The detent pin style holds the socket better but requires the hole inside the socket where the pin will snap into to be lined up each time you affix a new socket to it.

No biggee for me having to do that with the latter, but the tech did mention that for mechanics and people working assembly lines, the ring style may be the preferred style for the sake of expedience in changing from one socket size to another at the expense of socket holding power.

Now I’m much closer as to where I’m going with this. One or the other of the aforementioned high torque wrench models is yet to be determined as to which one I want although I am leaning to the detent pin style at the present, but for fastening lag bolts and all the heavy outdoor construction I will be doing, this is the type to get over the socket ready straight impact driver. Think I’ve just locked in which item I would like to be aiming for after I get the half sheet sander. One of the High Torque Impact Wrenches!

But something else I just realized. The only high torque wrench on the prize list is a 7/16in Hex model which I was told by the tech is primarily only used in the manufacturing applications. I need to ask Jim if he can add one or both of the other ones that I may want. Hmmm! Gonna have to send him a ‘pretty please’ email.

Funny, up until now, I thought the impact wrenches were maybe old product and wondered why anybody would not get what I thought was a better and more powerful impact driver. Nice to actually have solved this mystery. What Bosch should do though, as I don’t think I’m the first turnip to get confused like this, is to point out in their lit how much more powerful in torque the impact wrenches are in relation to their impact drivers other than just the torque spec and the word “High Torque” alone in their titled names. It needs to be more apparent in my opinion. @@bethepro

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I also called up Bosch and got transferred to a technician. I needed to get educated on the differences in the different models on a variety of things. I couldn’t understand what was the diff between the friction ring style and the detent pin style. Basically he said that the friction ring style makes it easier to swap from one socket to another. The detent pin style holds the socket better but requires the hole inside the socket where the pin will snap into to be lined up each time you affix a new socket to it.

Not to split hairs, Kevin, but there are actually 3 styles of socket retainers. The ring retainer is commonly found in tools intended for use in automotive applications. It is the easiest to repair should the ring break or come off. There is also a spring loaded ball retainer also found in some of the higher end automotive products. Both of these styles offer quick changing of attachments. The pin retainer is usually found in industrial assembly tools which are normally dedicated to a single fastening task and require sockets to be securely held in place. As you point out, the pin must be aligned with the hole in the socket wall and the pin must also be depressed through that hole to release the socket.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Not to split hairs, Kevin, but there are actually 3 styles of socket retainers. The ring retainer is commonly found in tools intended for use in automotive applications. It is the easiest to repair should the ring break or come off. There is also a spring loaded ball retainer also found in some of the higher end automotive products. Both of these styles offer quick changing of attachments. The pin retainer is usually found in industrial assembly tools which are normally dedicated to a single fastening task and require sockets to be securely held in place. As you point out, the pin must be aligned with the hole in the socket wall and the pin must also be depressed through that hole to release the socket.

Precisely, and the pin is intended for people doing steel structure work, as you mentioned so that the socket does not fall off,

Mind you I have the older 21618 with the friction ring, and while doing mechanical work, I have never lost a socket off the tool.

@Doobie That’s exactly the information, as a diyer, or a person who mainly would use the impact at home, I would go with the friction ring, much easier to remove the sockets,
    I have all three models, mind you they are all the ni-cad versions, they all have their own place,

@smallerstick yeah, that planner is very nice. If you get one, I’m sure you will like it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

But something else I just realized. The only high torque wrench on the prize list is a 7/16in Hex model which I was told by the tech is primarily only used in the manufacturing applications. I need to ask Jim if he can add one or both of the other ones that I may want. Hmmm! Gonna have to send him a ‘pretty please’ email.

That 7/16″ hex is intended for use by linemen, to drive ship auger bits. Sure, you can maybe make it do something else with an adapter, but that is in no way practical.

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

Funny, I was looking at the planers yesterday. They would be a nice addition.

Agreed I could use a power planer and bosch new models are looking pretty slick

Doobie

OK. Thanks for chiming in guys. The ring retainer sounds like the one to get. Thanks again!

the pin must be aligned with the hole in the socket wall and the pin must also be depressed through that hole to release the socket.

That sounds like a PITA. The Bosch tech said nothing about that aspect of its use to me. Deal breaker on that model for me.

I learned a lot about a new type of tool today. Likely never would have happened had I not been a member of this site.

As I have plenty of 18V batteries, too many in fact, the bare tool option would be my choosing.

https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschtools-ocs/impact-wrenches-iwht180b-06019b1j11–39935-p/

woodman_412

I just cashed in all of my piggies today for a 12V vac, L2, L-rack-S and an i53. Since the 12V vac we have lives in the house I want one to keep in the shop and I need more L space for some of my newer stuff like radio and impact driver.

Dan

danpattison.com

OK. Thanks for chiming in guys. The ring retainer sounds like the one to get. Thanks again!

the pin must be aligned with the hole in the socket wall and the pin must also be depressed through that hole to release the socket.

That sounds like a PITA. The Bosch tech said nothing about that aspect of its use to me. Deal breaker on that model for me.

I learned a lot about a new type of tool today. Likely never would have happened had I not been a member of this site.

As I have plenty of 18V batteries, too many in fact, the bare tool option would be my choosing.

https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschtools-ocs/impact-wrenches-iwht180b-06019b1j11–39935-p/

Well, you are a hundred percent right about this place, I picked up many great pointers and advice from many members here, great source for information

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

HI GUYS, havent posted in a while. Had some trouble loading and viewing.

Anyway I want to thank Jim, Bosch and Bethepro for a nice package I received today.

I have always enjoyed the durability of my Bosch tools and I am not replacing them because of failure, they are still going strong. I am merely updating to newer.
    I look forward to using these tools soon!

Thanks again

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

HI GUYS, havent posted in a while. Had some trouble loading and viewing.

Anyway I want to thank Jim, Bosch and Bethepro for a nice package I received today.

I have always enjoyed the durability of my Bosch tools and I am not replacing them because of failure, they are still going strong. I am merely updating to newer.
    I look forward to using these tools soon!

Thanks again

Looks like you receive a nice box. Congrats.

Ron

Viewing 20 posts - 401 through 420 (of 1,023 total)
  • The topic ‘What are you saving up for? Version 9’ is closed to new replies.
queries. 1.191 seconds