dcsimg

What Are You Saving Up For? Version 18

Viewing 20 posts - 981 through 1,000 (of 1,004 total)
  • Author

Anyone have any experience with the old corded 8.5” model?

IIRC Dan @woodman_412 used the 8 1/2″ as his jobsite saw. There may be some discussion around that in the archives somewhere.

He might be busy right now preppin for what will be left of hurricane Dorian. Looks like it’s headed straight at Nova Scotia right now.

The CM8S is the saw that I use for pretty much all of my onsite work and I’ve been very happy with it. The only time that I take my Axial Glide saw on site is if I’m doing large crown moulding where I need the extra capacity. The new cordless version of the CM8S looks nice since it is dual bevel.

We’re getting ready today for Dorian to hit. I was supposed to be going to a men’s retreat this weekend in PEI with a bunch of guys from church but that’s not going to be happening now. Hopefully it doesn’t get as bad as Juan was but we’ll get prepared just in case.

So the new cordless is dual bevel , thanks Dan.

Good luck with prepping for Dorian
    Stay safe.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Anyone have any experience with the old corded 8.5” model?

IIRC Dan @woodman_412 used the 8 1/2″ as his jobsite saw. There may be some discussion around that in the archives somewhere.

He might be busy right now preppin for what will be left of hurricane Dorian. Looks like it’s headed straight at Nova Scotia right now.

The CM8S is the saw that I use for pretty much all of my onsite work and I’ve been very happy with it. The only time that I take my Axial Glide saw on site is if I’m doing large crown moulding where I need the extra capacity. The new cordless version of the CM8S looks nice since it is dual bevel.

We’re getting ready today for Dorian to hit. I was supposed to be going to a men’s retreat this weekend in PEI with a bunch of guys from church but that’s not going to be happening now. Hopefully it doesn’t get as bad as Juan was but we’ll get prepared just in case.

Thanks for weighing in Dan.

Stay safe!

Charlie

Instagram

Doobie

Hope you all make it thru unscathe Dan. God be with you!

Doobie

Was looking at the 9 inch grinder next possibly. I can actually see potential uses for it in the future now. It’s actually also good bang for the points involved too. 150K points for a tool that sells for $400 or more up here in Canada.

That sounds like a nice grinder. Wow it sells for $400. Do you have enough points for it?

Not yet. Need just over another 30K.

I see you have alittle ways to go then.

Well, I’m at 150K points now. Somewhat still hesitant to order this grinder. The debris collection shroud I strongly feel I want for it is pricey. I might still send in my request asking the shroud to be tosseed in to be in compliance with the new USA OSFI (or is it OSHI, can’t recall) requirements and see what happens even though I don’t believe Canada has yet required such dust abatement rules. At least ask what the subsequent points are required for the shroud at a later date redemption.

I thought about getting the MR23 router with plumge base instead a lot. But heck, I don’t need another router in this class of routers. I have a few already of which my Festool OF1400 I’ve had for 10 years now is my favorite along with all its accessories. I know Bosch routers are great, but Festool routers are indeed exceptional. Still, maybe I’ll just flip a coin to decide this next redemption.

Getting close to the gravity rise stand , I’ll make a decision on the gravity rise or the other gta3800 still not 100%sure

@Doobie
    it’s OSHA for USA
    For Canada I believe it depends on each province
    If I recall it was supposed to be by the end of the year and the start of the new year.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

After talking to Dan P a bit about the CM8S and the soon to be released cordless version, I think I’ll be saving up to buy the cordless version and focus my points collecting on something else. Probably the cordless OMT or possibly the worm drive circular saw…not sure which yet.

Charlie

Instagram

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

@doobie it’s OSHA for USA
    If I recall it was supposed to be by the end of the year and the start of the new year.

Your right OSHA is for USA.
    Here in Ontario we have the MOL Ministry of Labor.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ministry_of_Labour_(Ontario)

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

Doobie

@doobie it’s OSHA for USA

Your right OSHA is for USA.
    Here in Ontario we have the MOL Ministry of Labor.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ministry_of_Labour_(Ontario)

From some stuff I’ve managed to read on the internet, looks like it’s coming in the new year, but I can’t find anything really detailed and official on it.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Looks like I am still thinking about getting the MR23 router. I have looked at few other items on the list also. I really want to get another router. Just in case something happens to my Ridgid router. It has been a good router.

Greg

Doobie

Well, I’m at 150K points now. Somewhat still hesitant to order this grinder.

Still sitting on it. Might go up and down the list again.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I’m slowly getting closer to the cordless OMT. Probably within the next month or so I should be able to request it!

Charlie

Instagram

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Seeing as I have some long runs of wainscotting coming up, I have been thinking of a simple laser level to help out on that job. It would help keep everything nice and tidy with the window sills when I do that job. It wouldn’t have to do much, just give me a line at a certain height, but could come in handy for other things in the future. Who knows, I may have to level a foundation some day. I don’t know which one I would go for. I hear the green ones are easier to see and my eyes aren’t getting any better.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Seeing as I have some long runs of wainscotting coming up, I have been thinking of a simple laser level to help out on that job. It would help keep everything nice and tidy with the window sills when I do that job. It wouldn’t have to do much, just give me a line at a certain height, but could come in handy for other things in the future. Who knows, I may have to level a foundation some day. I don’t know which one I would go for. I hear the green ones are easier to see and my eyes aren’t getting any better.

A laser would be nice to get. I too thought about getting a laser too. Something I wouldn’t use alot. But nice to have when you need it.

Greg

Doobie

A laser would be nice to get. I too thought about getting a laser too. Something I wouldn’t use alot. But nice to have when you need it.

It’s a slippery slope. You buy one, next thing you know you buy a few more. Think I have five lasers now. All do different things.

That sounds like a good idea Jim , I never picked up one of the list here , I did buy two Bosch lasers a few years ago
    The GTL2 and the GLL2 one was 50 and the other one was 60 ish , nothing fancy , but they have been very practical.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

GTokley wrote:
    JimDaddyO wrote:

It’s a slippery slope. You buy one, next thing you know you buy a few more. Think I have five lasers now. All do different things.

That’s way it goes with tools.

Greg

Doobie

GTokley wrote:
    JimDaddyO wrote:

That’s way it goes with tools.

Indeed. Getting into Festool for example can be especially slippery. I got drunk on the ‘Green Koolaid’ initially. Came back down to earth after a while. Not everything they make is the best and a lot is the same but overpriced.

Doobie

hi guys.. i am getting a …. what do you suggest?

chadm

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Think I have five lasers now.

What do you like? What do you dislike? What should I look for? Is green light better than red? Is is worth going for one that shoots a longer distance? What accuracy should I look for over a certain distance?

Perhaps some other members could tune in on this too? Guys?

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Think I have five lasers now.

What do you like? What do you dislike? What should I look for? Is green light better than red? Is is worth going for one that shoots a longer distance? What accuracy should I look for over a certain distance?

Perhaps some other members could tune in on this too? Guys?

I haven’t used a green laser, but I’ve heard they’re especially good for indoor work vs the old red lasers.

I’ve used a couple different laser levels, mostly the GLL2 and now the GLL3-80. Very different ends of the spectrum and I am SO much happier with the GLL3-80.

What I found was that, despite whatever the stated distance is, most of the more affordable red lasers are invisible in any sort of light (even interior) beyond about ten feet away. But the GLL3-80 I have used up to about thirty feet away in some instances. I also love the three different plane options instead of just two. And having the laser emitters outside the body of the tool gives 360* of laser line, vs having it inside which limits you to about 120*. Which works alright if you’re just looking to project onto a small section of wall, but for cabinets or anything going around a room, it’s much nicer to not have to reposition the laser and try to match everything up to the old position.

I would love to get to see if the green versions are really that much better than the red, but so far I’ve been pretty happy with my red line laser.

Charlie

Instagram

Viewing 20 posts - 981 through 1,000 (of 1,004 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 1.411 seconds