dcsimg

What are the most useful "Freebies" you have ever owned?

This topic contains 127 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  RonW 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 128 total)
  • Author

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Power tool manufacturers are always looking for new ways to keep their company name in front of customers. I know, I was a manufacturers rep for 20 odd years.

At trade shows, on jobsites, in factories and at boardroom tables; how do you get the customer to remember you and think of you in a positive way.

I took a look in my toolbox(es) and came up with 3 things I was given which I still use regularly.

Makita gave away a simple manual holder for reciprocating saw blades. I still carry and use this holder.

A variety of electronics manufacturers gave away tools for trimming potentiometers. I used this tool almost daily while I was in the field.

And Ingersoll-Rand while it owned Proto Tool Division, provided IR salesmen with keychain screwdrivers as give-aways. I must have given away several thousand of those and was constantly being asked for one.

What do you have that you were given as a promo that you still use regularly? Feedback from you will let the sponsors of this site know how well their promotional dollars are being spent, what works and what doesn’t.

Attachments:

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I like calendars . The stickers seem to be popular with all the trading I see on here. Pens get used till someone pockets it.
    The best free things come from right here. I will have and use my Bosch table saw till I can’t work any longer.

Lakelover
    Pro
    Fort Qu'Appelle, SK

Small LED flashlight.
    Utility knife
    diamond sharping stick

Toolshead
    Pro
    In the Rice Fields, South TX

Some people seem to get them. Some don’t.
    With the exception of a small screwdriver that’s standard on one end and Phillips on the other, all of my freebies are from my grandfather when he was a salesman for the Thomas D. Murphy Co., a company that sold samples to companies wanting giveaway products.
    My parents and I threw out hundreds (thousands?) of decades-old calendars, dried out pens, and thermometers with the liquid separated from staying nearly 50 years in a Louisiana attic.
    EBay wasn’t around when the estate was closed or could have gone into business with all that.

Warren6810
    Pro
    Akron, OH

Lumberyard pencils. I have never paid for a carpenter pencil in my life.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Thinking about this and aside from the FL12 and laser tape that I have from this site all my tools have been bought or inherited.
    I guess I’m one of those guys that never gets free stuff. 🙁

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Leaving aside the great tools from BTP, I got a great Tervis Tumbler from Milwaukee Tool with the logo inside. Also, some pencils.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Lumberyard pencils. I have never paid for a carpenter pencil in my life.

Pencils are about the only freebie that I seem to get, but it never seems to be quite enough of them.

A while back, I got some GRK screws in the mail that were put to good use…otherwise nothing I can recall.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

The one I use most often is a 6 inch ruler with a depth stop slider on it.

The sample Falx blade was really useful on a few jobs.

Doobie

I’ve gotten a lot of ballcaps over the years. Keep the better ones from being subject to getting too sweated in so I can wear them longer when out and about in public.

Lots of T-shrts too, but often I wouldn’t get the right size so they get given away by me to others or off to charity.

Got a floor mat for free with a brand on it that adorns my shop entrance. Great for wiping sawdust off my feet before entering the rest of the house.

Got an STD from a one of the toolco reps once that I still carry around, but that’s one I’m not happy with although she really was cute at the time! 😉

Toolshead
    Pro
    In the Rice Fields, South TX

Got an STD from a one of the toolco reps once that I still carry around, but that’s one I’m not happy with although she really was cute at the time!

Coffee on screen!
    That’s a Shop Towel Dispenser, right? …

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Got an STD from a one of the toolco reps once that I still carry around, but that’s one I’m not happy with although she really was cute at the time!

Coffee on screen!

lol that woke me up good! hahahaha.

the best freebie I got was mini measuring tape from Toronto police, I don’t know why there were giving it out but its handy.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Coffee on screen!

Geeze @doobie ! Had to clean coffee off the keyboard! I didn’t see that one coming .

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Coffee on screen!

Geeze @doobie ! Had to clean coffee off the keyboard! I didn’t see that one coming .

You got me with that one, too. Coffee not quite on the keyboard but all over my hand.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Ya can never trust them good looking reps can ya? LOL @doobie

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

I always thought giving away stuff at trade shows was a waste. I would bet 99% goes to the trash. We did all the regular “junk” pocket tapes, pens, LED key chains, screw drivers etc.

I went and had a look. I have a paint can opener, but I couldn’t have told you who I got it from until I went and looked. Also a bin full of pens.

But none of them did their job in making me remember the company, AFAIK.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

@doobie that chit was too funny!!! Love it!!

I haven’t been to a trade show in years but we do get pencils for free still. Also I have a scale ruler my truss company gave me I use.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

redwood
    Pro

I don’t use them now, but when I started to use Hardi plank siding, they gave me a couple of the Pactool fiber cement shears for free and got me a fiber cement guillotine for 75% off. I used the crap out of them. This was before there were saw blades for fiber cement.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Doobie

is was before there were saw blades for fiber cement.

I just bought one a while back for my TS75 made by CMT. How long ago did they start making blades for fiber cement?

bethepro
    Keymaster
    Mt Prospect, IL

Great suggestions. Keep them coming. I agree most of the stuff given away goes in the trash. I have kept mousepads for years. In terms of useful shop stuff, I have a magnetic 6″ ruler that attaches to my tool box, and a magnetic “church key” that has got to be the most used item I ever received. Oh yea keychain LED lights also get used. I also keep all the multi-pliers tools I get. They go right with my fishing tackle. Other than that it all goes in the garbage.

What’s the strangest thing anyone ever received?

Jim

Email us at bethepro@bethepro.com

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 128 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.424 seconds