dcsimg

What Are Aou Saving up For? Version 17

Viewing 20 posts - 581 through 600 (of 1,002 total)
  • Author

Slightly off topic, who here has opted to upgrade to a 220v shaper as a replacement for their table mounted router – I am considering it instead of spending almost as much for a bigger /better router table.

Were you thinking about buying a new or used shaper?

I have used few shapers before when I worked making paddles. I don’t know much about them really as they were set up to do a certain operation. I guess a lot depends on what you are planning on using it for. I am sure you can find a used shapper for reasonable price. Not sure what cutters are worth.

Well, I have the 1617 Bosch router and a table, but when I made some custom molding there were flaws caused by my inconsistent feeding, so I made some extension tables, they helped but still the quality was not what I wanted for the effort. I have started looking for a solid used shaper, something around 3HP 220V, but I live in the province of New Brunswick Canada so the market is smaller, I don’t mind travelling a bit to get a used tool, but I try to factor that into the cost so that I am realistic in what I am paying. Sometimes shipping costs eat up the savings and new with free / cheap (subsidized?) shipping ends up being a better choice, especially for really heavy items. The big advantage with used may be getting a a bunch of expensive cutters, there was a good deal on one on the Canadian Woodworking forum I missed but it was 14 hours away in Ontario so … I am not sure it would have worked out anyway.

Will

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Slightly off topic, who here has opted to upgrade to a 220v shaper as a replacement for their table mounted router – I am considering it instead of spending almost as much for a bigger /better router table.

I have used few shapers before when I worked making paddles. I don’t know much about them really as they were set up to do a certain operation. I guess a lot depends on what you are planning on using it for. I am sure you can find a used shapper for reasonable price. Not sure what cutters are worth.

Well, I have the 1617 Bosch router and a table, but when I made some custom molding there were flaws caused by my inconsistent feeding, so I made some extension tables, they helped but still the quality was not what I wanted for the effort. I have started looking for a solid used shaper, something around 3HP 220V, but I live in the province of New Brunswick Canada so the market is smaller, I don’t mind travelling a bit to get a used tool, but I try to factor that into the cost so that I am realistic in what I am paying. Sometimes shipping costs eat up the savings and new with free / cheap (subsidized?) shipping ends up being a better choice, especially for really heavy items. The big advantage with used may be getting a a bunch of expensive cutters, there was a good deal on one on the Canadian Woodworking forum I missed but it was 14 hours away in Ontario so … I am not sure it would have worked out anyway.

i know shipping is always a pain to us canadians but i know on the cwwf they have those rucker request or something like that, if anyone is heading out your way they can always drop a piece off .

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

When you use the router table you can try cutting a little less on the first pass and then just take another light pass over it taking just a little more wood off. I think that would help you out. A shaper will probably give you the same results without a power feeder. I have a shaper that I don’t even use anymore. Its just a old crapsman.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Sounds like maybe you need a power feeder more then a sharper.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

Cordless 4-1/2 grinder is making it’s way to the top of my list rather quickly.

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

A 3-5hp shaper is high on my list of shop tools wanted. But as others have said you may need a feeder to get the cuts your looking for.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I’ve been looking at that myself. It would be very useful in any shop.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I guess with metal projects coming up. A cordless 4 1/2 grinder would be a nice tool to get.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I guess with metal projects coming up. A cordless 4 1/2 grinder would be a nice tool to get.

What metal work are you looking at doing?

Charlie

Instagram

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

too bad the new brushless angle grinder is not on the list yet.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

Clev08
    Pro

Well since I bought a cross line laser I’m thinking about saving up for the 1.25 hp colt or if the 12V is on the list by then maybe that one. I think I might start spending my points collecting routers so I don’t have to change bits as much.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I think I might start spending my points collecting routers so I don’t have to change bits as much.

Great idea to speed up your work.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Doobie

I was lookin at the 1775E 5 inch tuckpoint grinder last nite. Still debating, and need a few more points as well anyways. Might want to use it for scoring break lines on a slab pour or for concrete block.

Thing is, the blade that comes with it seems wide for this at a quarter inch thick. Might call Bosch support and ask what thinner blade is available for it that might be thinner. Couldn’t find one easily on their site.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Well since I bought a cross line laser I’m thinking about saving up for the 1.25 hp colt or if the 12V is on the list by then maybe that one. I think I might start spending my points collecting routers so I don’t have to change bits as much.

Routers are like clamps; you can never have too many.

The little Colt is my favourite so far; I seem to be reaching for it first.

I picked up the one from the list with the core battery,
    It’s very nice so far,
    So practical and quick to just pop a battery in an go.
    Is that the one you are thinking about?
    Or hoping for the newer brushless versions.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

What keeps you reaching for it @smallerstick? Do you have the old one as well?

Charlie

Instagram

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I was lookin at the 1775E 5 inch tuckpoint grinder last nite. Still debating, and need a few more points as well anyways. Might want to use it for scoring break lines on a slab pour or for concrete block.

Thing is, the blade that comes with it seems wide for this at a quarter inch thick. Might call Bosch support and ask what thinner blade is available for it that might be thinner. Couldn’t find one easily on their site.

i was thinking of that eventually as i have a huge section i want to repoint, of course i’ll need chris around to give me some pointers.

Doobie

i was thinking of that eventually as i have a huge section i want to repoint, of course i’ll need chris around to give me some pointers.

Chris showed last year some nifty and expensive tool he was using to do that. Unlike a disk grinder it was a stem that went back and forth and chewed out the mortar. You could get deeper and also hog out more closer to the ends of the brick.

@utopia78

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

Routers are like clamps; you can never have too many

I don’t know, but I hear that all the time lol.
    same with L-BOXX’s huh 😀

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

What keeps you reaching for it @smallerstick? Do you have the old one as well?

My colt is the old one. The size is what I like most about it. A lot of the jobs I do are small roundovers, hinge setting, bowties and that sort of work. Using the baseplate as a lip, the Colt mounts in a vise very quickly for roundovers on small parts. Depth adjustment is quick and easy. The spindle lock makes bit changes simple The plunge base is great for shallow mortises. Again, the size and weight are what I like most about it.

There are some good features on the new model. I will have one eventually, I know.

Viewing 20 posts - 581 through 600 (of 1,002 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.300 seconds