dcsimg

Wet Tile saw recommendations.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 84 total)
  • Author
    Doobie

Just wondering what model of wet tile saw to buy. Tired of renting and the amount of need that I can foresee in the next few months justifies buying one rather than giving it to the rental store. I would be wanting it capable of doing tiles and pavers. 10 inch blade that can rip 24″ and 18″ on the diagonal.

Been lookin at the low end at the Dewalt tile saw simply because its available close by. The Dewalt gets good reviews and a lot of rental places in these parts offer the Dewalt for rent including HD which has their own Ridgid brand in a 10 inch model for sale but that they do not rent out itself. What does that tell ya?

http://www.mississaugahardware.com/product/Dewalt-D24000S-10-Wet-Tile-Saw-with-Stand

(I did look at the Ridgid regaqrdless, but there are too many mixed reviews and their LSA has never impressed me other than for batteries when it comes to expedience.)

Then there’s the real ones by either MK, Target or Felker I’d be interested in but the price goes up significantly just to match the Dewalt that I can get for $825 nearby. Funny thing is also, I can’t find websites for the Target or Felker manufacturers. Seems weird.

I’m mostly a one man show, so portability is a factor. Some really nice MK’s start getting in the 125+ lbs area, basically requiring a set of wheels and collapsing stand. Any feedback in this product area is greatly appreciated.

Up here in Canada, there are not a lot of places to buy the better ones out there it seems. Anybody who knows of places in the Greater Toronto area prefereably in the east end or Durham region, please let me know.

staker
    Pro

There is the bosch one on the list, just have to save a bit, I don’t know what they retail for.

NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

There is the bosch one on the list, just have to save a bit, I don’t know what they retail for.

They retail for a lot. I used points for my bosch.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

They retail for a lot. I used points for my bosch.

It sounds like Doobie might be wanting to make a purchase sooner than later. The MK 101 is a great saw fom my limited experience with using one.

I use a snap cutter whenever I can. It’s quick and clean…and quiet.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Doobie

They’re like close to half a million points you need. I did think of that, but I would be getting one in 2025 instead of in the next few weeks when I really it.lol.

The Bosch would be closest at par with the Dewalt insofar as its class I’d think, but here in Canada the price diff is at least $200 if not more, so it kinda has priced itself off my list.

I have the MK 101 . My only problem is it weights ton . These pictures are from when I first purchased it . Had it for two years now . Haven’t change a thing on saw . Pump is still the only that came with it .

The wet saw I had before this was the MK 370 . I loved that little saw . Had it for years . I let someone in my family use it . Came back with broken pump , burned motor and a hole in my water tray . Needied a saw for job and they only had the MK 101 in stock so I bought that one .

Always willing to learn .

I have the MK 370, have to admit that it has held up pretty well ans seen a decent amount of tile. Would love to get the piggy’s for the Bosch some day

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I’m needing to get a bigger tile saw myself. The MK 101 looks like a nice saw but man it’s a tank at 118 lbs.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

redwood
    Pro

I’ve had a old MK for probably 15 years. Sorry I don’t know the model and I doubt that I could read it. I only do a couple tile jobs a year, so it’s not been steadily used, but I’m still on the original pump, as well.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

staker
    Pro

I never used a snap cutter, always a little 7″ cheapie that you need a wet suit to operate it.

I also bought this small one for backsplash work . Made by QEP and picked it up at home depot . Does not have the greatest power but for portable and few cuts it nice .

Attachments:
    jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I never used a snap cutter, always a little 7″ cheapie that you need a wet suit to operate it.

Take a look at this video from Rubi. It will make you leave that wetsuit at home!

I have a Rubi that’s a series or two above this one. It works the same but has a larger bed for the tile and extension wings for turning the tile on the diagonal.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Looks like a simple way to get tile cut Jon. Ever have any tile that wont snap right?

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Looks like it works good for long straight cuts

TonyG
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

I am saving up for the bosch one. I don’t need one per se so I can wait till I save up enough points.

staker
    Pro

That is a lot cleaner way to cut tile I might have to invest in one.

Doobie

Been doin’ a lot of reading into the wee hours last night along with watching a bunch of YouTube related to this to get further along with a decision.

Some of my findings so far…..

I did look at Felker. Great reputation, but they seem non-existent here in Canada, so they’re out.

Husqvarna has a 3 nice units, but the lower end model at $1200 roughly does not do 24 inch rips and the next models up are over $2K, so unless I’m willing to go that high, on another brand, they are likely out as well.

MK makes a large variety of saws and seem to be the real big manufacturer in this tool area. They are robust saws, and have a solid reputation. But here’s where I get bogged down with them.

In the $1000 to $2000 range they have two types of products essentially. One has a direct drive motor, weighs a lot less which is a major consideration for me using it solo, and the other type they are mostly known for has a belt driven motor setup but can easily start to tip the scales at 150lbs versus the 86 lb range of the former type. The other issue with the direct drive units (Models TX-3) is that they require a one inch arbor MK proprietor blade(s). That concerns me as when you suddenly realize you need a new blade or a different one you didn’t anticipate needing, you have to wait as I can’t find any MK retailers nearby me.

In looking at the other lower end candidates like the Dewalt, Ridgid and Bosch wet tile saws and also another brand that goes by the name of The Beast made by a company Lackmond, I discovered that they are all Chinese made and come out of the same factory according to one retailers comments I found online. So far the Dewalt is the winner. All units are prone to not lasting forever and some have more known issues than others, but the Dewalt has many more positive reviews than the rest combined.

I called a local retailer that carries the Dewalt model for $825 and asked over the phone whether they ever get them back or have unhappy buyers for this product. They do not it seems. Unfortunately, they do not have one on the floor to play with, so I’m trying to find somewhere else that does.

So I called up the local HD and asked the rental dept what they have for sale possibly as used and whether they can sell me one. Unfortunately, they just had a used tool sale and some of them were Dewalt tile saws. He said they are more reliable than their own Ridgid model they sell in the store, and the fellow I spoke with said that the only thing they had to do to one of them recently was replace the bearings after 2 years of rental use. Sounds encouraging.

I asked if they can sell a new Dewalt by special order. The fellow had to get back to me on that one. $989 + Tax. Forget buying it there, but I will go in to look at a new model that they have for rent just to “touch it – feel it” before heading further down the street to buy it elsewhere where they don’t have one on the floor to play with.

The daily rental rate at HD for the Dewalt is $75, so paying $800 or so for something that I know I would need in the foreseable future for significantly more than 10 days of rental is definitely worth buying instead never mind the hassle of picking up and returning every time I need one and the risk that they don’t have one to rent when you plan on renting one.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I always find it cheaper to buy the tool rather than rent it .That way you still own it when you are done .

@Doobie how many times you think you will cut 24″ tile .

Doobie

@Doobie how many times you think you will cut 24″ tile .

Probably in a few weeks time and then again for sure in the summer on another project.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 84 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.358 seconds