dcsimg

Wen Ambient Air Cleaner Review

This topic contains 20 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  r-ice 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Author

This is my Wen ambient air cleaner review. 

I bought this because one of the things I take very seriously – some might say too seriously – is keeping the air I breathe as clean as I can. There are too many members of my family who passed due to lung problems, or who are on oxygen now for me to be careless

So, both as a secondary collection method to getting it at the source, and for times where nothing else can be done, I got an ambient air cleaner

The Wen Ambient Air Cleaner is a twin (or eerily close) to the Rikon, the Grizzly, the Shop Fox, the King, the General… well, you get the point. They all use the same filters. It uses two filters, a fine inner one and a course outer one. The outer filter is essentially sacrificial. It is cheap to replace, but I’m cheaper, so I’ve been blowing the same one out with an air gun outside for months. The inner filter takes much longer to clog up, but it too blows out well enough. Either way, replacements are about 10$ each, so if I wear one out, I don’t much mind. I keep three outer filters in rotation, and clean them out all at once

In jobsite use, The Wen Ambient Air Cleaner is handy within a plastic wall enclosure. I like to put the exhaust side outside the zipwall setup I use, which creates a slight negative pressure inside. Helps to keep fine particles from slipping out. As far as collection goes, I can see a steady stream of dust blowing into it, and nothing seems to get past the filter. Its not a typhoon that keeps the space Im in clean – despite my hopes. What it does it take the edge off the amount flying around, and keeps it from getting past the plastic, even if I’m a little careless in setting it up. Great for drywall sanding

In shop use, I don’t find it does that much while I’m working, but where it shines is that I don’t find a fine coat of dust on my tools a few hours later. It gets rid of the fine stuff that would have settled. I run it on a timer and it shuts off a couple of hours after I leave the shop.

Overall, its a box with a squirrel cage blower and two filters, with speed settings, a timer, and a remote. Nothing special. But, it does that nothing special quite well. Its simple, and does what it is meant to.

Hooks on top to easily hang or remove from the ceiling, an easy to carry handle.

Its a simple tool, not very expensive, but its one of the first things I grab when I know its going to be dusty.

The best will still be to get dust at the source. This will get whatever gets by, but it might take an hour or two – do some drywall sanding and turn the air to a fog, you will see the air going towards this thing. When you come back from a short break, it will have caught up and the air will be clean-ish. BUT, the next day, you will be shocked at how little dust was able to settle on everything else, and how nothing got past the dust barriers

I’m happy I got the Wen Ambient Air Cleaner. Its not what I expected, but as a tool to keep the area clean, the pressure negative, and to catch what my source dust containment misses, I am very glad I got this tool.

For more on the Wen 3410, click here.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I’ve often debating whether or not I need one like this. How do you feel about the theory that this will stir up more dust ? i only thought of this when i was reading bill pentz’s site about dust management.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

We have a jet that is similar that we bring on the jobsite to use. For the jobsite I would eventually like to get the build clean unit.

I’ve often debating whether or not I need one like this. How do you feel about the theory that this will stir up more dust ? i only thought of this when i was reading bill pentz’s site about dust management.

I doubt it. Its not a hurricane. I dont have the exhaust pointed anywhere dusty.

Besides, if it does somehow manage to stir up dust, that is a good thing most of the time. It will get it into the air so it can be captured. Im not Pentz like in my paranoia either

I do also use it for a few hours a while before I do any important finishes where I dont want anything to settle on it before its dry. But again, its about the big particles. Pentz is worried about maintaining cleanroom level sterile, and Im not interested in getting to that point. I just want the dust under control and contained, and maybe a bit easier to breathe

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I really like the idea of running it on a timer after work is done for the day. The fine layer of dust that settles in the shop is very obvious the next day.

Are the filters special for this unit or are they standard furnace filters? Is the inner filter cloth? Can it be washed?

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

I really like the idea of running it on a timer after work is done for the day. The fine layer of dust that settles in the shop is very obvious the next day.

Are the filters special for this unit or are they standard furnace filters? Is the inner filter cloth? Can it be washed?

Special size, but easy to get. Dont know if washable, but it is cloth, just in a cardboard frame

Some reviews say you can just cut down a furnace filter, but I didnt bother

https://www.amazon.ca/Shop-Fox-D3834-Inner-Filter/dp/B00CN4WN9C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475847756&sr=8-1&keywords=shop+fox+w1830

https://www.amazon.ca/Steelex-D3835-Outer-Filter-W1830/dp/B00CN4WN6K/ref=pd_bxgy_469_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=JTHZKBR86WR65THRXM8N

Some other people just bungee on a washable air conditioner filter in front of this one, which isnt a bad idea, but since this is easy to blow out, I dont bother

There are a bunch of air cleaner builds on You Tube to look up if you can’t afford to buy one. Simple materials and furnace type filters (look up woodgears on YT for example).

I have a squirrel cage fan stored away for a “when I get there” air cleaner build. That is a long way off, I have to wire the shop first, that is over a year over due. Who knows if I’ll ever get there.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Special size, but easy to get. Dont know if washable, but it is cloth, just in a cardboard frame

https://www.amazon.ca/Shop-Fox-D3834-Inner-Filter/dp/B00CN4WN9C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475847756&sr=8-1&keywords=shop+fox+w1830

https://www.amazon.ca/Steelex-D3835-Outer-Filter-W1830/dp/B00CN4WN6K/ref=pd_bxgy_469_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=JTHZKBR86WR65THRXM8N

Some other people just bungee on a washable air conditioner filter in front of this one, which isnt a bad idea, but since this is easy to blow out, I dont bother

would be interesting to make one of these filters and make sure the filter size can handle one of those washable furnace filters, you’d be laughing, no more purchasing filters.

Doobie
    Pro

I have a JDS air filtration unit. It does get used on occasion, but the key is collecting the dust at source in the first place. Whatever doesn’t get collected at spource, will hopefully get mitigated by the air cleaner.

Where it also comes in handy having an air filter unit is if I have burned some wood, I run it so as to stop my smoke alarm in the shop from going off and blowing out my eardrums. In my small shop, this has happened more than a few times.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Thanks for the links. Looks to be a good filter combination for a DIY dust collector build as well.

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

I am always trying to improve my dust collection as well, but after reading some of Bill Pentz’s stuff (and others) I am on the fence about the air cleaner style, instead focusing on collection at source and generation.

Will

I am always trying to improve my dust collection as well, but after reading some of Bill Pentz’s stuff (and others) I am on the fence about the air cleaner style, instead focusing on collection at source and generation.

I certainly agree with that. The trick to clean air is always going to be getting it before it disperses.

This isn’t an either-or

Plus, this tool comes in handy at times where there is no source-cleaning you can do. Demolition and drywall sanding are the two that most come to mind.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Doesn’t look bad, better than my box fan with furnace filter. I’ve always thought Wen is the new Jobmate.

Doesn’t look bad, better than my box fan with furnace filter. I’ve always thought Wen is the new Jobmate.

They are just another label that gets slapped on generic tools. Nothing better or worse about them if all you need is “harbour freight” or “king canada” level stuff. Good enough, cheap, does the job

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I keep thinking about doing something like this too. I don’t have the money to invest in a store bought air cleaner, but I have a small fan I was thinking about building a box around, with two filters – one on either end. I think that would probably work well too. But I agree, getting the fine particles out of the air is important.

Charlie

Instagram

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

I keep thinking about doing something like this too. I don’t have the money to invest in a store bought air cleaner, but I have a small fan I was thinking about building a box around, with two filters – one on either end. I think that would probably work well too. But I agree, getting the fine particles out of the air is important.

You might restrict airflow too much with two filters, just one on the back end should work fine.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Thanks for the links. Looks to be a good filter combination for a DIY dust collector build as well.

Yes, THanX for that.
    I have @doobie‘s old furnace squirrel cage and motor and plan to make one of these air filtration units one day.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Good review. I have a similar Jet unit and it does suck it’s share of dust. I need to do better at capturing it at the source but this kind of unit is well worth the cost. Hitting the filters with an air hose works well for me too.

Masterbosch
    Pro
    Wayne, NJ

Great review @montreal_medic. I Def a nice unit. I came to cross air purification system when I was a child. My brother had a allergic reaction to dust so we had one in are room.it’s Def great investment to buy air purification.I wish there is small portable ones that we can set up at the jobsite.I’m thinking to get one

plusoneconstructionllc@gmail.com

Great job on the review for your unit that you have . Seems like the same style unit we were talking about on IG .

Great review @montreal_medic. I Def a nice unit. I came to cross air purification system when I was a child. My brother had a allergic reaction to dust so we had one in are room.it’s Def great investment to buy air purification.I wish there is small portable ones that we can set up at the jobsite.I’m thinking to get one

With today’s allergys air purification is becoming so important .

Always willing to learn .

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.534 seconds