dcsimg

Welding project added to 'the list'.

This topic contains 20 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  MTRoads 2 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Author

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

The image attached is one sent to me by the better half – I am pretty sure that this is to be added to the ‘to-do list’.

I have a question though. Where is a good source to find metal for projects like this other than at the local metal warehouse? I have been looking around and not much luck at finding scroungable (is that a word) sources.

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

The image attached is one sent to me by the better half – I am pretty sure that this is to be added to the ‘to-do list’.

I have a question though. Where is a good source to find metal for projects like this other than at the local metal warehouse? I have been looking around and not much luck at finding scroungable (is that a word) sources.

That looks like a great project and a very useful one, too.

Scrap yards sometimes get short but usable lengths of common sections; tubing, angle, channel and so on that they sell by the pound.

Fabricating shops will often sell off the remainder of steel from jobs as scrap for just the scrap value. You may end up taking more than you need cause they just want rid of it but soon enough you will have your own scrap pile to raid for projects. If you can go on a Friday afternoon with a case of beer in the back of your truck you might luck out, too.

https://www.instagram.com/woodiworkshop/

MTRoads
    Pro

@smallerstick, the fabrication shops sounds like a good option.

I tried the local metal scrapyard, but the were not interested in selling anything but ‘new’ stuff.

Not a whole lot of fabrication shops in the town where I live, but that gives me a start for places to start looking.

Thanks,

Stan

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

We have a local steel supplier and cut shop that sells their “drops”. they have a gig room with them and racks outside. Everything is $.25 / LB It varies by scrap prices, when scrap was high it was $.35 / LB. Still very reasonable. The kicker is they never have the same stuff so it is hit or miss whether you will find what you are looking for. Most of the time, I can find at least a portion of what I need and pay retail for the rest. Sometimes If I see something I think I will use I grab it, for the price, it is not bad to have a little material sitting around for misc repairs and the like.

MTRoads
    Pro

We have a local steel supplier and cut shop that sells their “drops”. they have a gig room with them and racks outside. Everything is $.25 / LB It varies by scrap prices, when scrap was high it was $.35 / LB. Still very reasonable. The kicker is they never have the same stuff so it is hit or miss whether you will find what you are looking for. Most of the time, I can find at least a portion of what I need and pay retail for the rest. Sometimes If I see something I think I will use I grab it, for the price, it is not bad to have a little material sitting around for misc repairs and the like.

Hmmm, wonder if the local scrap/recycle place has a similar deal going on. Sounds like a stop by there tomorrow may be in order.
    I do have a standing request locally for any metal being disposed of that I will gladly take card of it. 🙂

Stan

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I tried the local metal scrapyard, but the were not interested in selling anything but ‘new’ stuff.

I never knew of scrap yards wanting to sell new stuff. Any scrap yards around here deal scrap metal.

I would have agree with Peter. Maybe do a online search for places close by.

It does like that will be a nice project to make and use. Good luck finding some metal.

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

MTRoads
    Pro

So I am slowly finding scraps of metal, might take a while to collect everything I need, but better some stuff than nothing.

Questing for the metal workers here, looking at the picture of the adjustable woodfire cooking grate, it appears that the grate itself is connected to the posts with tubing slightly larger than the tubing used for the posts.

Any ideas what one would put inside the tubing attached to the grate to keep from scraping the paint off the frame posts? Would hate to take the time to build something nice like this only to have scrape marks up and down the posts.
    Maybe choose tubing large enough to allow adding some grommets to the top and bottom area so there is no metal to metal contact?

Any ideas appreciated.

Stan

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

I wouldn’t care for the time being if the paint is scraped from the posts.
    I would care first how you get the paint on the post. You need some heat resisting paint, ceramic or powder coating and given the fact that you’re looking for scrap metal for this project I doubt that you have a budget for that type of paint.

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

So I am slowly finding scraps of metal, might take a while to collect everything I need, but better some stuff than nothing.

Questing for the metal workers here, looking at the picture of the adjustable woodfire cooking grate, it appears that the grate itself is connected to the posts with tubing slightly larger than the tubing used for the posts.

Any ideas what one would put inside the tubing attached to the grate to keep from scraping the paint off the frame posts? Would hate to take the time to build something nice like this only to have scrape marks up and down the posts.
    Maybe choose tubing large enough to allow adding some grommets to the top and bottom area so there is no metal to metal contact?

Any ideas appreciated.

I think I would be inclined to avoid paint for a project like that. Perhaps a coating to resist rust, something that would act with the surface of the metal but would not add thickness. There will be scraping in use, for sure. Grommets may not be advisable because of the heat.

Personally, I like the appearance of raw metal, the odd rust spot doesn’t bother me. Give it a scrape and a wipe with an oily rag and you’re good to go.

MTRoads
    Pro

I wouldn’t care for the time being if the paint is scraped from the posts.
    I would care first how you get the paint on the post. You need some heat resisting paint, ceramic or powder coating and given the fact that you’re looking for scrap metal for this project I doubt that you have a budget for that type of paint.

There really is no budget for this project, but I started off woodworking using scraps so figured doing the same with metalwork would be fun.
    I already have a good amount of woodstove paint in the shop, powdercoating would not be a problem as the son has connections due to working in a race shop.
    I guess in the long run, scrapes from raising/lowering the grate would pretty much equate to character. 🙂

Stan

MTRoads
    Pro

A few comments to work associates and I will have metal scraps filtering in over the next few weeks as they collect it and bring to to work to throw in the back of my truck. Should be interesting to see what I end up with. 🙂

Stan

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

A few comments to work associates and I will have metal scraps filtering in over the next few weeks as they collect it and bring to to work to throw in the back of my truck. Should be interesting to see what I end up with. 🙂

I can just imagine what you will end up getting. Should make for some interesting last minute design changes.

A few comments to work associates and I will have metal scraps filtering in over the next few weeks as they collect it and bring to to work to throw in the back of my truck. Should be interesting to see what I end up with.

At least the project is still progressing, when you are looking for alternative sources for materials it can be hard to keep making progress – don’t give up.

Will

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

It will be interesting to see what you get. You might end up with some very useful metal.

Greg

MTRoads
    Pro

What I have heard is on the ‘list’ of stuff coming is mainly automotive related, gears, casings, parts cut off for body/frame repairs.
    It will be a start, that’s for sure. I’m sure there will be more leads for material as I go along.

Decided today to pick up a gas bottle this weekend, think I have progressed far enough with the learning to switch from flux-core to gas.

Stan

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

What I have heard is on the ‘list’ of stuff coming is mainly automotive related, gears, casings, parts cut off for body/frame repairs.
    It will be a start, that’s for sure. I’m sure there will be more leads for material as I go along.

So sounds like not the metal you were wanting right a away. I guess you got start somewhere.

Greg

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Decided today to pick up a gas bottle this weekend, think I have progressed far enough with the learning to switch from flux-core to gas.

It will be interesting to see what you get and even more interesting to see what you do with it. I’m liking this thread a lot.

Gas should give you a little more flexibility.

MTRoads
    Pro

Strange the way things show up around here, I found another old tree stand that someone threw away. So with that I have a few more feet of tubing and some grate material plus a few sections of angle iron.
    Too hot to weld tomorrow but I might wet down the grass next to the shop and clean some of that stuff up with the grinder/flap sander. Then store it away for when I need it.

People at work are starting to ask me if I am doing yard art projects what with asking around for metal scraps… 🙂

Stan

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

One of my tenants left behind an adjustable weight bench. I wanted to cut it up and hang on to some of the square tubing…. but the new tenant got rid of it. Broke my heart LOL The tubes that fit in the tubes for the uprights that supported the barbell would have been perfect for your project

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Nice progress on the learning, good luck.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.179 seconds