dcsimg

Welder choices

This topic contains 16 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  r-ice 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Okay I am looking to learn how to weld and there are some projects in the future i’ll need to do and I have the time to practice and learn.

Unfortunately blue and red are out of the running as their start up prices are beyond me right now. However these two seem to be pretty decent and head offices are in the GTA area

http://www.everlastgenerators.com/product/mig/power-i-mig-140e

http://www.praxairdirect.com/PXItemDisplay?catalogId=10051&langId=-1&storeId=10152&itemID=155504

I am leaning towards the power i mig 140 e.
    what do you guys say?

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I would say @thedude306 or Gerald Taylor are the best help for this.

dod
    Pro
    Dayton, OH

What are you wanting to use them for?

I have not heard of either of the two brands you linked to, but they both appear to be similar to my mig. The price of the Avenger 140i is pretty close to the Lincoln 140c.

I am in no way a pro welder. I just have a few around for my car projects and farm equipment repairs.

I have the Mig 135 from Eastwood. I have been happy with it for auto sheet metal work. It uses Lincoln consumables.

http://www.eastwood.com/mig-welder-110vac-135a-output.html

I also have an old Lincoln AC225 for the heavier stuff.

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/Equipment/Pages/product.aspx?product=K1170(LincolnElectric)

-Daniel

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I have an older Italian made Clarke 180EN, If I knew any better at the time I had bought this. I wish I would have saved a few more shekels and picked up a Miller.

Hard to dial in for thinner sheet metal, no issues with hitting 1/8″ – 3/16″ plate.

The now discontinued Miller 211 had some very nice features with the dual 110V/220V plug in option.

EDIT: If you can find one with a decent “Duty Cycle”

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

What are you wanting to use them for?

I have not heard of either of the two brands you linked to, but they both appear to be similar to my mig. The price of the Avenger 140i is pretty close to the Lincoln 140c.

I am in no way a pro welder. I just have a few around for my car projects and farm equipment repairs.

I have the Mig 135 from Eastwood. I have been happy with it for auto sheet metal work. It uses Lincoln consumables.

http://www.eastwood.com/mig-welder-110vac-135a-output.html

I also have an old Lincoln AC225 for the heavier stuff.

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/Equipment/Pages/product.aspx?product=K1170(LincolnElectric)

I want to learn to weld and play around, eventually I want a bbq or a smoker it’ll be fun.

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Are you looking to buy new or used? I always see good deals on uses welders browsing on kijiji.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Are you looking to buy new or used? I always see good deals on uses welders browsing on kijiji.

I am leary buying used welders on kijiji, the last time I tried to buy a lincoln and it was dead on arrival. The low mode worked but any other mode it just wouldn’t work. I thought it was me until i brought it over to show @58chev where he confirmed i just got bamboozled lol

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

I am leary buying used welders on kijiji, the last time I tried to buy a lincoln and it was dead on arrival. The low mode worked but any other mode it just wouldn’t work. I thought it was me until i brought it over to show @58chev where he confirmed i just got bamboozled lol

That sucks man, hopefully you weren’t out too much with that deal.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

That sucks man, hopefully you weren’t out too much with that deal.

I think it was just under 500 but i since I picked it up at the guys house, i knew where he lived. I went back and had a chat with him about why it didn’t work. He says okay sorry about that and I was able to get my money back. I now only use tools I can test at the persons place easily, otherwise with this i’ll probably just get new.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

I know it’s a tough decision but I would HIGHLY recommend you save up for a 220V model. I have a Miller 135 and it’s OK but you will out grow it quickly. My go to recommendation is a Hobart 190 for anyone new to the game. It will do just about everything, it’s easy to learn on and it has good resale value if you want to buy something better or find that you don’t use it.

My other recommendation is to look at consumable cost and availability. If you can’t get a new liner for the gun or tip easily then it’s not worth the hassle of buying an off brand. I have no experience with anything but blue and red and hobarts so the others might copy their consumables.

Oh, and don’t forget a gas regulator AND bottle rental with gas. IMO don’t even bother with flux core wire. Both of those add to the cost so make sure the regulator is included or budget for it.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I know it’s a tough decision but I would HIGHLY recommend you save up for a 220V model. I have a Miller 135 and it’s OK but you will out grow it quickly. My go to recommendation is a Hobart 190 for anyone new to the game. It will do just about everything, it’s easy to learn on and it has good resale value if you want to buy something better or find that you don’t use it.

My other recommendation is to look at consumable cost and availability. If you can’t get a new liner for the gun or tip easily then it’s not worth the hassle of buying an off brand. I have no experience with anything but blue and red and hobarts so the others might copy their consumables.

Oh, and don’t forget a gas regulator AND bottle rental with gas. IMO don’t even bother with flux core wire. Both of those add to the cost so make sure the regulator is included or budget for it.

thanks for the insights, i’ll do more research. I do have 220 volt in the garage for my heat treating oven but unsure of the amperage it can handle.

Anonymous

I like Brads advice on the 220v and the non flux core wire, Personally I’d want one that’s capable of up to 1/4″ material too. Good luck

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

thanks for the insights, i’ll do more research. I do have 220 volt in the garage for my heat treating oven but unsure of the amperage it can handle.

Just take a look at the breaker in your panel, that will tell you what you can go up to in AMP’s.

My welder is 220V 40A but I still wish I bought brand name.

— Glenn Botting

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Just take a look at the breaker in your panel, that will tell you what you can go up to in AMP’s.

My welder is 220V 40A but I still wish I bought brand name.

okay so lets say i want to increase the amperage, can i just buy a new breaker and throw it in?

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

okay so lets say i want to increase the amperage, can i just buy a new breaker and throw it in?

NO…
    Your wire has to be sized accordingly to the amperage.
    I doubt that Tony provisioned a heavier gauge in anticipation of you upping the breaker. What size breaker is in there now? and can you read the numbers on the wire going to your garage?

— Glenn Botting

dod
    Pro
    Dayton, OH

My go to recommendation is a Hobart 190 for anyone new to the game. It will do just about everything, it’s easy to learn on and it has good resale value if you want to buy something better or find that you don’t use it.

The Hobart 190 looks like an excellent choice if you have 220 available. The price at Tractor Supply is very reasonable. I had considered the Hobart 140 before buying mine from Eastwood.

-Daniel

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

NO…
    Your wire has to be sized accordingly to the amperage.
    I doubt that Tony provisioned a heavier gauge in anticipation of you upping the breaker. What size breaker is in there now? and can you read the numbers on the wire going to your garage?

Just looked at it, and it is 20 amp. I may need to upgrade it if I want 220 hmm..

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.397 seconds